Turbo Maintainance

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Itab

500 RPM
guys,i'm kinda new in this thing,i'm using a GSR turbo,besides more frequent oil change,what else is needed to service the turbo?and how regularly?heard tht need to lubricate the turbine or something,not so sure,n have to service the intercooler also,how to service it ah?

service the intercooler? cleaning it u meant? so far my mech always tell me to use good grade oil and most people overlook transmission oil change... i change both my engine oil and transmission oil at 5K kms interval and 10-15K kms for transmission. Also the vacuum lines.. have to replace the rubber once in a while.. I changed mine to aftermarket hoses. This is to prevent vacuum / boost leak in future.

Yeah, all parts need to service but who cares :lol:

I guess mostly of all ppl use it until kaput lar.

For example turbo, yes u need to service your turbo once in a while but dont see anyone doing it. Cos very costly. Also sometimes very funny, it will not work after u install it back. Funny hor.

If u r in less modification the u dun need to worry much unless the car is well known a problematic car :D .

Originally posted by moppy@May 18 2004, 01:12 PM

Sounds so Malaysian. :lol: :lol: Why fix it if its not broken. :lol: :lol:

A turbo engine is like any other engine. Normal regular service and periodic maintainance will ensure the engines long life and trouble free usage.

Also not forgeting to mention, turbo engines are not suppose to be abused.

Frequent drag launches and 8K RPM pulls will accelrate the engine's wear and tear.

Originally posted by Joeker+May 19 2004, 10:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joeker @ May 19 2004, 10:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-moppy@May 18 2004, 01:12 PM

Sounds so Malaysian. :lol: :lol: Why fix it if its not broken. :lol: :lol:

A turbo engine is like any other engine. Normal regular service and periodic maintainance will ensure the engines long life and trouble free usage.

Also not forgeting to mention, turbo engines are not suppose to be abused.

Frequent drag launches and 8K RPM pulls will accelrate the engine's wear and tear. [/b][/quote]
hmmm.. define frequent please. Very broad, but what are your ideas on what frequent abuse of the turboed motor means.
thanks. :)

I'm using a VR4 on a Wira, with very standard settings. I don't need to do heavy maintenance on the turbines. Only the frequent motor oil change at 5k and once in awhile gearbox oil. For turbo engines, always ensure that the cooling fans are working. Ensure there is no water leaking from the radiator or it's hoses. Besides that, there is nothing much to do. :) Happy boosting....

Hmm, I think, in line of being typically malaysian, you know you need to check yr turbo out if you see white smoke or whatever coming out from your xhos. Oil seals are gone or something.

It's good to periodically check out the unit la, I suppose!

Normally, turbos would be serviceable. But if you're running ball bearing units, I was told that they can't be serviced back... true ka?

How frequent is frequent? tats kinda hard to say cause its very subjective. its like sex. Some do it one a week, some do it once every forthnite, some do it on every eve of pblic holidays :lol:

If you have a fren who always like to pick a fight whenever he is on the road, wheel spins at every traffic lite and tears up the expressway everytime he drives, I guess he is in for a big repair bill.

Originally posted by lekalo@May 20 2004, 06:16 PM
Hmm, I think, in line of being typically malaysian, you know you need to check yr turbo out if you see white smoke or whatever coming out from your xhos. Oil seals are gone or something.

It's good to periodically check out the unit la, I suppose!

Normally, turbos would be serviceable. But if you're running ball bearing units, I was told that they can't be serviced back... true ka?
yeah true but the chance of bearing turbo's rosak very slim as they use very minimal oiling to lubricate the turbo..
so it therefore last longer if all is well maintained.

All depends on how do u drive la.

But servicing is very important. Do regular service. Create a service history for yourself as a reference. It's good for your car. :)

non-serviceble but rebuildable just need to pay more to get some one to rebuild it.

Regards

No need one to do anything one. Just use until rosak then

BUY NEW ONE LAR!

Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry about just now, okay okay ... but seriously?

There's the constant radiator water level that you have to check because you wouldn't want to find out at the very last minute that your car is overheating now do you? It happened to my friend, simply drive and never check the radiator and overheated. Costed him his gasket for his turbo car which isn't cheap. Bad thing about this too is that it can effect other parts of your car.

Then like the sifus here said, use good grade oil and always check it. Not knowing how much engine oil and having not enough engine oil in your car is a bad bad combination if you want to keep your car for long. Your pistons might screw up which isn't cheap by the way.

I'm sure like any other sifus here, they're very sensitive about their cars so if you're having a mod car, you have to be too.

I'm just wondering if we're using turbo engine, we cannot rev that often on road? :unsure: .. of course when you just transplanted a turbo engine sure like 'sayang' lare. So if we rev too often, what are the things that we need to keep an eye on it? :rolleyes:

Also would like to ask if I get a Turbo engine .. after using it for few months I blew up the engine .. still can sell it off? how much? :unsure:

i think if u rev your engine often,u've gotta keep an eye on your engine oil level,make sure it is on a safe level la.and also engine temperature lo,make sure the water tank is not sucked dry :)

to all the turbo sifus ah...
i have a question la,what kinda engine oil would u guys recommend for turbo engine?eg like GSR turbo.foreman said use better grade oil like fully synthetic one would be the best,semi-synthethic also ok la.but recently a fren told me tht turbo engine cannot use fully or semi synthethic oil as these type of lubricants are too 'thin'.so i'm kinda confused la,i do run on the highways once or twice a month la,so what kinda lubricant is best for turbo engines with such usage?

semi synthetic ler. best of both world. ;) hehehe... seriously, something like 10w40 or 10w30 would be good. yeah malaysia's a hot place but you'd need to properly warm up the engine if you're using regular mineral oil (grade 20w50 or 15w40) and your turbo could suffer. if fully synthetic, well.. the engine/turbo will be properly lubricated most of the time but hot weather and high temperatures could mean more frequent oil change as the oil could get thicker, thus losing lubricating efficiency due to those mentioned.

I've always use semi-synthetics. changing them every 3500km and gearbox/differential oil every 10k km.

cant rev a lot? then why get performance engine maaa? get V6 or V8 ler... hehehe.. or diesels (5k rpm cut off) hehehe..

oh yea.. always check your engine oil level, radiator and water reservoir. At least check them once a week.

just IMHO. B)

if use stock turbo engine.. n no major mods to the turbo n engine.. the maintainance is probably the sama as NA also..

But hey.. most Turbo Transplant car owner doesnt care bout it.. just use it till rosak.. coz most of them didnt even bother to rebuilt or over haul back the engine b4 transplanting...

semi synthetic like Mobil super S 10w40 is ok for turbo cars rite?well,rite now i'm using this particular oil for my GSR la,just want some opinions from all the experts here :)

sifu sifu sekalian,i have a question ah...the engine oil in my GSR tends to lessen after travelling long distance on the highway,is this normal?normal town drive tekan tekan also not much problem la,only when travel on highway it tends to lessen.if makan engine oil,there'll be white smoke coming out from the exhaust mah,but mine don have wor....is it really a normal trait among turbo engines?cos i have a fren using a L2 turbo kancil also like tht,n he say its normal one la,another fren with B16A civic EK also same,have to top up engine oil after tekan on the highway.

Top Bottom