Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

Toyota MRS / MR2 spyder

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
Since there will be emerging new owners (to avoided duplication on the other side)

Post will be on info pertaining on the MR2 Spyder or MRS as its known here.

to start enjoy some pics

Legend_MaRS,

(your Q in other post)

FYI, the HT cost in malaysia (in region of 10K~new). You could obtain if via authorised Yota dealer.

or drive into SG, a HT could be found from SG2100-2600. The MRS HT is very well built and is competitive of other marques (S2K, miata , porsche!!)

son't even ask about the carbon fibre mugen...

history of the MR2
The Toyota MR2 design process started in the mid 1970's culminating in the first prototype, the SA-X. In the early 80's the Toyota designer Seiichi Yamauchi was appointed head of planning for the Toyota MR2 project, the SV3. The original concept was for a small two seater commuter car, many different combinations of engine placement and drive were considered before the eventual mid-engine rear wheel drive set up was chosen. During the design phase engineers from Lotus where involved with Toyota on ride and handling characteristics for mid-engine cars but Lotus were not involved with the final production specification.

The Toyota MR2 was launched shortly afterwards, in June 1984. Named by Toyota from the initials from 'Midship Runabout 2 seater", this first generation has become known as the "AW" MR2.

The second generation Toyota MR2 (SW20) was an all new car. It retained the mid-engine, two-seat layout, but it was longer, wider, heavier, and more powerful. The distinctive angular styling was replaced by a softer more curvaceous style.

Toyota's Chief Engineer Tadashi Nakagawa knew that the next-generation sports car had to incorporate a high level balance of stability and agility, coupled with the pursuit of fun in driving.

However, it was also common knowledge that although, a long wheel base gave straight line stability, agility was reduced as cornering power was effected. The designer team headed by Tadashi Nakagawa recognized that weight reduction was the key.

The third generation Toyota MR2 , the MR2 Spyder or MR-S, energed in Japan in October 1999, followed by US/europe in 2000.

Toyota engineers have used the very latest technology to cut weight and boost performance. But it is in the area of agility that the mid engine and lightweight design really shines. The mid-engine design, combined with an ideal 'wheelbase to overall length' ratio, makes this one of the most nimble of vehicles on the road. Quick and accurate driver response is the name of the game for the new MR2 roadster. The MR2's 1.8-litre engine has VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing - intelligent) for maximum midrange torque and superb top-end power, with the best fuel consumption in its class

Spyder Factory japan

Originally posted by koolspyda@Mar 25 2005, 22:24
Legend_MaRS,

(your Q in other post)

FYI, the HT cost in malaysia (in region of 10K~new). You could obtain if via authorised Yota dealer.

or drive into SG, a HT could be found from SG2100-2600. The MRS HT is very well built and is competitive of other marques (S2K, miata , porsche!!)

son't even ask about the carbon fibre mugen...
[snapback]841178[/snapback]​

wow a wide bodied MRS =)

Originally posted by koolspyda@Mar 26 2005, 12:18
history of the MR2
The Toyota MR2 design process started in the mid 1970's culminating in the first prototype, the SA-X. In the early 80's the Toyota designer Seiichi Yamauchi was appointed head of planning for the Toyota MR2 project, the SV3. The original concept was for a small two seater commuter car, many different combinations of engine placement and drive were considered before the eventual mid-engine rear wheel drive set up was chosen. During the design phase engineers from Lotus where involved with Toyota on ride and handling characteristics for mid-engine cars but Lotus were not involved with the final production specification.

The Toyota MR2 was launched shortly afterwards, in June 1984. Named by Toyota from the initials from 'Midship Runabout 2 seater", this first generation has become known as the "AW" MR2.

The second generation Toyota MR2 (SW20) was an all new car. It retained the mid-engine, two-seat layout, but it was longer, wider, heavier, and more powerful. The distinctive angular styling was replaced by a softer more curvaceous style.

Toyota's Chief Engineer Tadashi Nakagawa knew that the next-generation sports car had to incorporate a high level balance of stability and agility, coupled with the pursuit of fun in driving.

However, it was also common knowledge that although, a long wheel base gave straight line stability, agility was reduced as cornering power was effected. The designer team headed by Tadashi Nakagawa recognized that weight reduction was the key.

The third generation Toyota MR2 , the MR2 Spyder or MR-S, energed in Japan in October 1999, followed by US/europe in 2000.

Toyota engineers have used the very latest technology to cut weight and boost performance. But it is in the area of agility that the mid engine and lightweight design really shines. The mid-engine design, combined with an ideal 'wheelbase to overall length' ratio, makes this one of the most nimble of vehicles on the road. Quick and accurate driver response is the name of the game for the new MR2 roadster. The MR2's 1.8-litre engine has VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing - intelligent) for maximum midrange torque and superb top-end power, with the best fuel consumption in its class

Spyder Factory japan
[snapback]842449[/snapback]​

the factory so big 1 ah !! all spyder in the world come from there !! wow B)

hey,, MRS can fix NISMO or TRUST gear knob mah ??

and do u know the price of the TRD short shift for MRS ?

knob? as long as the thread is correct size, it should fit, but many aftermarket knobs are universal (using skrew/ allen key), so it no brainer.

TRD short shift (complete with housing) is for manual. (use to be RM700++ but since ringgit when down compared to YEN, expect it to be more now).

Isn't yours SMT??

Originally posted by koolspyda@Mar 27 2005, 13:27
knob? as long as the thread is correct size, it should fit, but many aftermarket knobs are universal (using skrew/ allen key), so it no brainer.

TRD short shift (complete with housing) is for manual. (use to be RM700++ but since ringgit when down compared to YEN, expect it to be more now).

Isn't yours SMT??
[snapback]844305[/snapback]​

my is manual !! not SMT !! haha ....strange leh ....why i will chose manual ..... B)
700 ++ ?? wah ..... :blink: no need to eat liao ...... :lol: jus for it !!
original shift very long ..look not nice !! shoft shift look nicer and shofter the distance shift gear ..!! dunno where can get it from JB leh .....or who can buy for me from KL and take it to JB to me :lol: :lol:

eh alo, SG is just like driving across the bridge for you leh. I think cost is slightly cheaper in SG. (As in most japanese aftermarket parts)

check out with the SG boys where do buy their stuff (Xe Nin~dunno address, the two jap ladies in 'Cartonic' in Ubi something)

Just take one weekend to go to SG and ask lo. (will try to post the respective address or number when i can find them)

MRS in SG is more hot than in KL. (cost factor). I think currently there are more MRS in whole SG than in KL. But that will change in years to come.

To porosaki's Q on why SMT MRS cannot go 2ZZGE (without $$$$$$$$$$$)

the smt MRS is not compatible with the 2zz.

1)Because it interfaces with the stock 1zz ecu and it won't know what to do when it goes past 7200 rpm. Ohh and the gear ratios are off on the 1zz 6 speed for the 2zz so the rev matching won't work.

If you had a way to control it the mechanicals would work but I don't think there is anything out there that can do that......

2) and also PFC don't work on SMT and FCon V Pro is a piggy on original ECU, hence problem back to (1)

3) For SMT to go to a 6 speed manual, you need a clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, cables, shifter, trans, mounts, axles, pedals,clutch slave cylinder, lines......It would be easier and probably cost just as much to go and trade it in on a 6 speed car or a spyder.

and that don't come with the celica/corrolla 2ZZ engine. If the urge is there, then 2 important half cuts you need. (1ZZFE transmission including (3) and 2ZZGE engine+transmission)

hence $$$$$$$

got your message. :(

nevertheless this will be the next project after my altezza

so not going to worry about it so soon.
thanks for the advise.

Originally posted by YellowSpy@Mar 29 2005, 13:00
Hi Dennis!!

Any of you guys comin' down for the ss01 at Danga Bay Johor Bahru??

If yes, pls do update me... we'll have some arrangements after the event on our own...

regards,
Ben
[snapback]850447[/snapback]​

Yo! Ben! Hows the Super Yellow Turbo MRS!!!

About the Danga Bay. THere are 2 confirm spyders but more are welcomed. (one depend on his flight schedule)
Basically we have "time attack" round a course (agility and skill) or one can participate in the drift event!!

Check out the organisers of event
http://groups.msn.com/racerallyresearch

will keep you in know.

Originally posted by porosaki@Mar 29 2005, 14:58
very nice technical drawings dennis
[snapback]850843[/snapback]​

tell you a secret:

the 2ZZGE is the way to go!! if you have read the SAC technical paper on 2ZZGE in find tooth comb (some of the US guys have read it) it is indeed on par with VTEC! (which is why Lotus was adament to used it in the Lotus S2)

The most sought after chap in US who have help swaped over 6 cars confirmed it (he did take it 2ZZGE appart to compare) them.
Yes there are better engine. But as package to combine lightweight and drivability the 2ZZGE ranks very well.

To say 1ZZFE is better for turbo (bolt on) is true.

;)

i saw the posting and realised quite number of MRS owners in jb..
how come i dont see you all??

were you guys at the PG track day last year?

Originally posted by DJmobile@Mar 30 2005, 03:09
i saw the posting and realised quite number of MRS owners in jb..
how come i dont see you all??

were you guys at the PG track day last year?
[snapback]852598[/snapback]​

Yep thats our track day by invitation of JCircuits. We wre featured on channel news asia taking bends...

Ok we do have gatherings... normaly at Dangga bay intl rest., Singapore & at clubs..(i.e NY, STephanies & mostly at Singapore)

Saturday night sprint (occasionally when the SIn guys come in)
Road trips (normally on weekends, at the outskirts whereby we can take twisties in a convoy)

We're all very much in touch with each other...... thats without a doubt!!

A Post Every 5 Minutes

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom