• Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Search

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
You all got to read this

PETALING JAYA:
Discussions to prevent a credit card “boycott” by petrol dealers have ended in a stalemate.

In fact, credit cards may no longer be accepted at petrol kiosks after Hari Raya next month.

The 2,700-strong Petrol Dealers Association of Malaysia had cited high interest charges by banks and reduced profits since 2002 as reasons to discontinue accepting credit cards.

Association president Alang Zari Ishak said yesterday’s meeting with the Finance Ministry, the Association of Banks in Malaysia, Bank Negara and Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry officials was “inconclusive”.

He said the banks did not want to reduce the 1.25% credit card charges imposed on dealers, which was the crux of the problem.

The Star
http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/10/8/nation/12265541&sec=nation

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
I don't know which side to stand on but honestly, I kinda support the petrol kiosk owners for their move. The banks don't seem to give a shit about the business needs of the petrol kiosks so that's kinda fucking selfish. Apparently, the govt control's the profit level of the petrol kiosks too. Heck. Malaysia is really starting to f-up.

artraider

Known Member
Aug 15, 2005
Shah Alam
hmm.. ok.. it's time for debit card.

SataniC

Old Is Gold
Dec 9, 2003
Subang
they dun want to use credit card cos they dun want to be labeled as a 1 cent robbers....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Z

][zoohalee][vtec][

WoOoOooHHHoOOoOOo!!!!! its time to buy a new car for my mum..... huray!!!!

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
satria_95 said:
I don't know which side to stand on but honestly, I kinda support the petrol kiosk owners for their move. The banks don't seem to give a shit about the business needs of the petrol kiosks so that's kinda fucking selfish. Apparently, the govt control's the profit level of the petrol kiosks too. Heck. Malaysia is really starting to f-up.
yep, you're right about that bro..

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
SataniC said:
they dun want to use credit card cos they dun want to be labeled as a 1 cent robbers....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
errr...i don't get it la bro...

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
I know it is unfair for the kiosk owners to have reduced profits but to boycott usage of credit card in kiosk will only cause inconvenient to the end users. Its dissapointing for us but we have no choice. I use credit card to pump petrol all the time, but we'll just have to get used to it and carry more cash around.

But just wondering, say if one kiosk owner who's suffering from low sales decides NOT to go along the boycott and continue to allow credit card to be used, he will then see his sales rise because he might be the only kiosk owner in town to allow credit card. Everyone will rush to his place for convenience sake right?

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
It is a take it or leave it situation...

If all 2,700 dealers decided not to use CC, they will lose customers especially regulars. But, if members not from PDAM still has CC facilities, they will gain more customers and business will definately expand.

It will be a couple of months of PDAM realise their mistake and will revert back to CC usage (as many members continue to lose business).

However, dealers can always make money elsewhere... rentals from fast food outlets (like Petronas in Mutiara D'sara or Kota D'sara) or additional service such as automated car wash.

But using cash to pay for petrol is not a bad thing... it helps you to keep an eye on your budget (no more whacking full tank as last time).

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
But the thing is why the petrol guys don wan to ask for more commision from the petrol company ?

Cos seem that the pricing is hiking twice every year and their profit is sky rocketed .. I think is fair for them to pay more commision to the petrol station rather than sucking the extra sens from consumer or the bank

Petrol station owner claims the 8 sens when the petrol is selling @ 1.13 in the 90s and still taking in the 8 cents @ 1.62, but why they never bring this matter out and send the fuzz to the petrol company???

Why they are concentrating on the banks that are trying to serve Malaysia better and consumer that wan to consume healthly ??

Really F^*# up la like this .....

But one thing for sure .... when they discontinue the CC, they will lose out at least 30-40% of the business and , there will be kioks that still taking in CC one .. hahahaa... here come the RED eyes kioks owner who try to squeeze every single cent....

Z

][zoohalee][vtec][

dude...for ur info petrol commision being control by the government....the petrol compnay for example shell, petronas, esso etc etc have no rights to give them extra commision....

and some of the zthians here stated that if the whole 2700 petrol owner boycott the CC and 1 of them didnt want too....maybe the 1 person sales rise for hile....but trust me la after this all over the regular customer will always go back to their usual petrol station....(they always does)

and if this 1 petrol station not to boycott this thing...what can the other 2699 different members can label him as a kiasu farker....when we fight for our rights u dowan to joins us....but if somehow the gov give us the benefits like charging the customer the 1.25% and commision rise...... u gain from it as well.....and u are also happy from it...if this shall happy 1 fine day this 2699 other petrol station owner will boycott this petrol station who accept CC. lets say if his into trouble by the respective company that his working for....nobody will back him up....

this is just to get back what banks stole from us....simple...for the past 4 years we already lost RM500k just because of customer chargers being charge to us....

like what i said on "stupid shell stole my 1 cents" topic....

if all the dealer decided not to accept CC....what customers can do about it???....u want to go to projet???....go la....see how u feel if u "Q" a single pump to swipe ur CC with 10 to 15 cars in a pump....by all means...go.....

and CC usage has cause how many people in a month to bankrupt?? all those ppl that u read in local newspaper like for example "the star" and etc shows how many court orders because the people failed to pay their CC.....personnaly i know a few friends of mine whole own thousands from the bank and failed to pay.....lawyers laters every month....

and i dun understand why people say if we dun accept CC it will only resolve in customers have to carryy more cash.....hello? all u need is around rm 70 to make ur tank full in a day....so is it really hard to carry rm 70???....duh duh duh....and + its only for petrol station....u still can shop with ur CC....dun tell me that ur wallet contain no money and only CC avalaible in ur everyday life....

boosook

Known Member
Jul 14, 2005
Shah Alam
we should all use diesel oledi..cheaper..hahaha...i really hate wats happenign now in malaysia man...the banks are stupid..they rather dun have cc use in petrol station than lowering the percentange of CC charges??..does that mean they rugi lagi banyak la izit?? correct me if im wrong..

prozac

1,000 RPM
Jan 18, 2004
Visit site
It's easy to carry around RM70, yes. But it's certainly not easy to take it out. Taking out pure cash everytime just means we'd have to visit the ATM more often, as opposed to going to the bank once a month to settle CC bills. Fuel is something that can suddenly require replenishing. We can't be expected to find an ATM first everytime before we refuel.

With the amount of crime going around, we also can't expect people to carry so much in their pockets or hoard cash in their house, which highlights another CC feature; safety.

If we recall, some banks also try to control to the number of visits to the ATM per month via extra charges. This is not helping either.

IMO, taking the issue of bankrupcies due to CC for this thread's argument is hitting below the belt. It's highly unlikely most people go bankrupt because of spending on fuel. Our car more or less only drinks a fixed amount of fuel every month. Major debts are mainly due to other luxury stuff. Furthermore, for every CC bankrupt there are hundreds more out there who can manage their CC balance easily.

P.S. I too wish I had the privelege to lose RM500k and still live comfortably :frown:

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
The comm is control by the government also one ? That one is really intriguing... bcos if that case u all should really condemm the goverment policy lio ... Like how the people condemm the custom officer retirement party.

CC is not a luxury item but a management tool. With CC or not, a person will still goes bankrupt and lawyer letter also one .. but only at a slower rate only ...

To tell you sincerely .. after the CC taken out from the pump.. I personally had never or very rare to pump at shell or mobil ... cos I pump most of my fuel at Petronas or ProJet ...

You shouldn't under estimate the power of using CC bcos a lot of people out there use CC so often and become a habit to use first then pay next month .. if everytime also cash , the pumping freq and money will be lower.

As far as I know, in Klang alone I had already > 10 shell owner says if assc. reject the CC, they will use it anyhow. So the scenario of 1 owner become kiasu is not valid at all .......

Z

][zoohalee][vtec][

prozac,

some ppl might live comfortable..altought they lost half a million....others might struggle...but if i give u a scenario that u own a petrol station and one fine sunday u watching the tv....and suddenly...."OhHhHh my gawd.....i lose RM 500k for the past 4 years which iam supposed to earn it!" i work my butt for it....why shouldnt i get it?? its my rights....its my business....

jeffayn

yes....every single thing that involve petrol is being control by the gov....if its been control by the main company...do u think we get 8 cents for petrol and 3.5 cents for deisel?? we apply this CC case to Bank negara for the past 4 years edi and still "they buat tak tahu only" and how to settle this with the gov??? like what are we doing now.....we want to make a point to the gov that this case is serious....

anyway....just wait till it happen.....for now we only able to protest...maybe the gov heard our issue and decided that this 1.25% being charged to the consumers and our commision raised another 2 cents....who knows.....basiclly in my personnal oppinion our priority is for the 1.25% to be charge to the consumers....the commision is the 2nd issue....if the gov agreed to charge this 1.25% to the consumers and decided not to raised our commision iam sure PDAM pretty happy with that....

prozac

1,000 RPM
Jan 18, 2004
Visit site
Times are hard. That kind of situation happens to everybody, not just petrol station owners. No need to say RM500k also. There are many people out there who work their butts off so their companies can make millions but end up no bonus or even promotion.

I'm not against paying the charges, but I don't agree that petrol stations should take it out on CC holders. This is a battle between the banks, petrol stations and govt.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Zoohalee,

I sort of get what you point is but i cannot agree on them. No offence but in every business, there's always an unseen cost and more than often unavoidable. You see, CC facilities at petrol kiosk to some extent is a 'luxury' whereas you can actually pay by cash. You cannot say you're losing money because this is part of a facility and convenience that you offer to your customer so that they come to your place to pump. Its like you own a business and complain that you're losing money because you're providing free parking to customers where else you could have charge them RM2 per hour. Well you could actually make the customers pay to park at your premise but if your competitor 2 doors away charge them free for parking at their place, guess where the customers would head to. Right now you can remove the CC facilities at your kiosk but will you enjoy the same amount of sales though you've stopped paying 1.25% ? On hindsight, you should be thankful you made money from the petrol sales, out of losing RM500K for bank interest this 4 years. Had you remove the CC facilities at your kiosk 4 years ago, you would not have lost RM500K neither would you be making money.

Also, on your points of credit card usage. Yes you're right that RM70 won't put a big dent on your wallet. But you must know not everyone pumps only RM70 per visit and not everyone pumps RM70 every 2 weeks or 1 month. My petrol usage per month is approximately RM500 to RM600. I'm in the sales line and drive very frequently. Some of my colleagues and relative that are into sales line and travel outstation frequently may use up to RM 800 to RM1000 per month. Are you asking us to carry that much of extra cash, or go to ATM more frequently. But of coz some of my frens tells me they only pump petrol once every 3 weeks so thats not an issue.

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
jeffayn said:
But the thing is why the petrol guys don wan to ask for more commision from the petrol company ?

Cos seem that the pricing is hiking twice every year and their profit is sky rocketed .. I think is fair for them to pay more commision to the petrol station rather than sucking the extra sens from consumer or the bank

Petrol station owner claims the 8 sens when the petrol is selling @ 1.13 in the 90s and still taking in the 8 cents @ 1.62, but why they never bring this matter out and send the fuzz to the petrol company???

Why they are concentrating on the banks that are trying to serve Malaysia better and consumer that wan to consume healthly ??

Really F^*# up la like this .....

But one thing for sure .... when they discontinue the CC, they will lose out at least 30-40% of the business and , there will be kioks that still taking in CC one .. hahahaa... here come the RED eyes kioks owner who try to squeeze every single cent....
If you're saying that these petrol station owners have not been asking for higher commission, you are wrong. 1st, the only person who can ask for this and enforce it is the government, who then will instruct the petroleum companies to do so ( this happens via lesser cost price paid by the petrol kiosk owners whenever they receive the fuel loads, which must be paid immediately via cheques ) This commission thing have been going on for over two years already...

Any petrol station owners under PDAM who refues to follow the guidelines from PDAM will suffer ( PDAM has been very instrumental in the past 5 years or so in assisting fellow petrol station owners from being "molested" by the petroleum companies they upfront for ) We should learn more about this matters deeply bfr giving any comments...

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
I still dun understand , whats wrong that the kioks owner to demand higher commision rather than keep on pushing WE, the hard working citizen to cut off our living comfort, to pay for the CC charges, to get in the ordeal of such? We are not in INDONESIA, where we cant say a thing.

We are in Malaysia , where democracy still being practice and looking into recent transformation of goverment , less gapping in media broadcasting , the KIOSK owner and ALANG has to voice out and tell the GOV or who the heck controlling this problem tht " We arent getting paid enuff"

However, up to mine suprise and every one else too ..... Petrol Kioks owner earns very good income despite of all the nuisance 1 2 cents you all are complaining Like Zoo .. he is very anxios to get a skyline. and I am just very anxios to know whether we will be using CC anymore or not.

I know not one or two .. but dozens of kioks out there is giving free mineral water, tissues and such to attract customer. I think it cleear enuff for all the forumers to understand what is going on actually ..

So does the story does tell that the earnings arent that bad as you all had claim. That must be also the reason why the GOV did not approve you guys suggestion