the perfect shift...

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

MrKoo

Known Member
no no no, this is not the game NFS underground ya?? :biggrin:

want ask u all experienced drag or drivers... when is the right time to shift ur gear ar? if u're drag racing... Looking at the RPM meter..
Different car different wan right? mine is saga lmst 1.3 .. any advise?
normally road driving i always won't pass 2000rpm n change gear at 2000rpm.. save petrol maa.. :smile:

but if drag racing... when is the RIGHT rpm to shift gear ar..? hope i can get some good answers from those sifus here... tnxx... :biggrin:

agree.. feeling n sound.

make sure u know ur car max torque limit.. if not sure booommm.... :biggrin:

gloss said:
agree.. feeling n sound.

make sure u know ur car max torque limit.. if not sure booommm.... :biggrin:
lol... yah.. dont boom can already.
ur car's perfect shift will come naturally after driving the car for awhile... in time u dont even need to look at rpm. cuz ur brain will estimate and consider past gearshift's and their results until it becomes instinct.

ur brain is powerful.

the perfect shift?...i don't know the others but for me i'll shift only when the sound of my car like 'Hsssssss'; i mean.....the sound....'Vrrrooooommmmmmmhhssssssss' and then shift the gear....normally the sound will come at rpm 5000. thats for my virgin waja...just my 0.02 cents...

easy....go dyno your car and study the dyno chart....see wat's the peak RPM and when does the power start to lose out...no point in pulling past your peak RPM if ur car is losing power...unless ur car is VTEC or MIVEC which u want to keep the RPM above the powerband....

SataniC said:
easy....go dyno your car and study the dyno chart....see wat's the peak RPM and when does the power start to lose out...no point in pulling past your peak RPM if ur car is losing power...unless ur car is VTEC or MIVEC which u want to keep the RPM above the powerband....

tats why... if reli dragging dun want to loose power after pass the shift.. but dun want to shift too early...

i noe its our feeling also but then if u noe how to read the right RPM its better rite? at least can already get ready to shift rather than u feel like ur car going to "dunno wat" ady then only shift.... hope understand wat i mean.. hehehe...

so i think best solution is to dyno hor? aiyo no need kua... my car not turbo or wat also... :tongue:

MrKoo said:
i noe its our feeling also but then if u noe how to read the right RPM its better rite?

so i think best solution is to dyno hor? aiyo no need kua... my car not turbo or wat also... :tongue:

Y ask ppl when u alr start answering ur own questions?
u said u know it's ur feeling but by knowing how to read the right RPM better.
Then say best solution is dyno but then no need coz not turbo.

If u really wan to "know how to read the right RPM" 1 of the best way is by reading ur dyno graph. Tat's most accurate....

tarik till ur rpm cant go up anymore.. then booomm...

change a mivec or vtec... tuned it.. sure no booommm this time... :biggrin:

jklar...

is dyno hurt's car engine? pls comment

Mrkoo,

u drive and change gear at 2000rpm...dun need worry wil kaboom la...

if lazy hear sound, put shift lamp...when it blink, direct change gear...easier lo....

every car got limit on rpm, i know bout my car la..ur car hv to ask urself lo....

ahhaha...like thomas say...not onli kau lat car can dyno....1.3 also can dyno mah...

mr.koo....turbo car pay rm 100 for dyno...u also pay rm 100 for dyno...so y u cant dyno?
the best is go dyno ur engine n study its hp peak n max torque...

aiyoo kher.. why sound so emo wan?? no need so harsh kua... everybody can answer own questions but everybody sometimes need advise n reassurance also ma! u ar... lol..

ya so i think dyno only can la.. dun think i will la .. have to test n see the feeling then.. tnx.

dyno run at N1 cost as low as RM100 nowadays.

theres no way to know when to shfit without dyno.

stop wasting time with "butt-dyno"

ok then if u duwan dyno. it's ur choice. coz i tot u wan some "perfect" shift....
mayb ur feel is quite perfect also sometimes...

Joeker:
Even being told Gt Auto dyno rm80 oni now. I did it rm100 also few months back.

proven on dyno chart..your car will produce max power at 6500rpm..so i suppose thats the best time to shift?? dynoed at dmt last time..

i think u can feel which rpm does it start to kick n slow down...

less accurate then the dyno is to look up the max hp rating in the car's owner's booklet.
for example , its stated my car's spec sheet that the engine's max hp is 165hp @ 7,800 rpm
so i wil set the shift light to come on at about 7,600rpm to compensate for my reaction and shifting time.
got your answer?

Last edited:
how do u feel it?

anyway, my suggestion if u want a cheaper solution, a funny way

clutchless shift? hahahahha, try and error, once u overachieve ur powerband, u can't shift it, but like i said, try and error....I've never done it b4, just a small suggestion

thteh86 said:
how do u feel it?

anyway, my suggestion if u want a cheaper solution, a funny way

clutchless shift? hahahahha, try and error, once u overachieve ur powerband, u can't shift it, but like i said, try and error....I've never done it b4, just a small suggestion
try and error or trail and error? *blur*

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom