Seoul Motor Show 2011

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

You've seen the Seoul Motorshow 2011, What's your choice now?

• Sushi now and forever!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kimchi is the new Sushi!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

It might not be one of the 'majors' in the international motor show league but the Seoul Motor Show 2011 held some innovative concepts and debuts that is a strong indicator of its growing significance amongst automakers. Held at the Kintex (Korea International Exhibiton Center) from 31 March to 10 April, the show was expecting over 1 million visitors and with its green theme for this year, had some pretty interesting green concepts on display.

Pictures by: Andy Goh

We start off our coverage with the stunning and radical Chevrolet Mi-Ray Concept that won the Best Concept Car award for the show. The win was made all the more special as the Mi-Ray was the Bowtie's first concept displayed in Korea. With a win on its first try, we can expect the marque to continue bringing in new vehicles and designs to Korea.

Here we have the Kia Naimo electric SUV concept. The four-seater is powered by a Permanent Magnet Synchronous electric motor that makes 109hp and 280Nm of torque. The power is stored in a double set of lithium-ion polymer battery pack placed under the trunk floor and allows the Naimo a range of 200km and a top speed of 150km/h. Furthermore, Kia claims it can be charged to about 80 per cent capacity in under 30 minutes with a full charge taking over 5 hours. Other innovative systems include a 3-way opening trunk, no B-pillars and cameras to replace the traditional side mirrors. The interior is accessed through suicide doors that leads you to some wood flooring.

Another Kia vehicle on display. Not surprisingly, the home marques such as Kia and Hyundai were out in full force at the show with tons of concepts and models.

This Kia concept employs a two-seater configuration. Like most of the Kia concepts on display, this one probably keeps to the overall theme and is electric powered as well.

A replica of the Lotus-Renault GP Formula One car was on show as well. Many have expressed their delight at the return to the classic John Player Special livery and colour scheme but a large portion have also voiced their disapproval of the red sideboards of the wings bearing the 'Total' logo. We think that the stark contract of the bright red against the gold on black colours really makes the car stand out and is a nice touch to differentiate it from the scheme used in the past.

The Toyota stand had the much-awaited FT-86 in its G Sports Turbo guise on display in all its glory. Words can hardly express the delight that we have as the spiritual successor to the coveted AE86 gets that much closer to its production launch.

At the Peugeot stand was the RCZ sports coupe.

Keeping the RCZ company was the new 508 SW.

On a production front, Kia had the compact Morning on display. Known here as the Picanto, the revised model should be finding its way here soon enough. You might also notice the larger Morning model on display at the background that was there for photo opportunities.

Compact electric cars seemed to be the general idea that played along with the green theme as this ultra-compact that closely mirrors a Smart Fortwo proved. You have to dig the Tron-inspired lines running on the outside as well that lean towards electric propulsion for this machine.

The Renault-Samsung stand showcased more all-electric vehicles in the form of the SM3 Z.E. that is based on the Renault Fluence Z.E. It is capable of running for over 160km at a maximum speed of 150km/h on just a single charge. The car is scheduled to enter production at the Busan plant next year.

General Motors also had their Buick LaCrosse on display, albeit rebadged as a Daewoo Alpheon.

One of the more impressive displays was at the Renault-Samsung stand that had close to 20 female models on hand.

Even more impressive though was the Porsche 918 RSR that was shown for the first time in Asia. The 918 RSR is presented as a racing laboratory, a rolling study of hybrid technology for race or performance use. It has a 563hp V8 that can rev to a stratospheric 10,300rpm and two front-wheel drive electric motors for a total of 767hp. The carbon fiber exterior houses a flywheel booster system that stores energy when the brakes are applied and allows it to be used as a booster system, unleashing an extra 160hp at the tap of a button. This technology is also being applied in the 911 GT3 R Hybrid that is lining up on the starting grids of some international endurance races worldwide.

The new Kia K7, called the Cadenza in foreign markets, was also on show. It will replace the ageing Amanti in some markets with its sculpted and flowing design set to make it a success in the D2 segment.

Attachments

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
ahh you got to go to seoul very nice, still, im sure the cars are still pretty good, considering they display major korean cars that are hardly seen in other shows

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Yet another great motor show, when will malaysia catch up..? :adore:

MaRvyn

Known Member
Nov 9, 2007
www.vixiousworks.com
Kia K7 @ Cadenza will indeed give Camry, Accord, Mazda6 and Sonata a very serious nightmare should it be in our market soon. The car looked great!

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
nice cars ....... very decent show!

Apr 18, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
haha.. i was born in korea but nothing much interested than you think ya!

anyway do u have any idea that if i wanna buy car(gen2) what do i need to worry and how can i buy second car of gen2??? thank you guys!!!

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

I hope I was born in Korea...
haha i was born in korea, haha nothing much there than u think... maybe coz of im korean.

anyway do u have any idea if i wanna buy cheaper one which is gen2?? sexy proton!!!

A Post Every 5 Mins

Hi all...I'm thinking of getting a used VW PASSAT 07 2.0 FSI for my wife daily usage (to go to work/send my 1yr old kid to day care center and balik kampung once in a while). Tempting with the price... RM80k++........

Spec..
6 Airbags
6 Speed Tritronic gearbox
Multifunction steering
GPS on board navigation
Bi-Xenon headlamp (New)
Automatic reverse side mirror
Electric Memory Seat
Climate control Seat
18" Caractere Rims

it shared the same engine as golf gti mk5 rite. Just wondering, is it a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience