RPM fluctuates Knocking sound

aleemy

Oct 16, 2014
Selayang
Greeting all sifus,

Do you guys ever face any problems when you can't accelerate anymore on the 5th gear when the rpm reaches 3k. Make it worse it produces an awful knocking sound .

My car is currently at nearby workshop and Im just out of ideas about it.

weiye

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
knocking sound? or misfire? if knocking means tuning is out? need to double check all vacuum hoses and do a boost leak test. If not leaking, then check spark plugs whether all firing ok? if not then have to check engine compression whether any loss already. If all ok maybe check tuning. Should not have such an issue I think.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Yup... MAF is the most common... need to get it replaced every 5 years... but ignition too. Is the Engine Light on?

weiye

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
So other gears have also? or only at 5th gear? if it is MAF, I think the problem will be random, not only at gear 5 or beyond some rpm. If the problem always comes only at gear 5 or above a certain rpm, I don't think it is MAF. And yeah there should be a check engine light or error code if MAF start to have problem.

aleemy

Oct 16, 2014
Selayang
So other gears have also? or only at 5th gear? if it is MAF, I think the problem will be random, not only at gear 5 or beyond some rpm. If the problem always comes only at gear 5 or above a certain rpm, I don't think it is MAF. And yeah there should be a check engine light or error code if MAF start to have problem.
Yes problem comes above certain rpm usually after 4k, and no, engine light didn't appear .:confused:

weiye

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
oh ok. if only after 4k rpm, first thing I will check is spark plugs - see whether gap is same for all spark plugs and whether any spark plug got problem. Not likely to be boost leak or MAF if the problem is always only after 4k rpm.

If spark plugs all nice and same gap, then have to check whether any nuts, bolts or intercooler pipes loose. The knocking sound could be something loose then cause sound also. I had that problem before with the gearbox housing screw.

If all ok then try to check tuning and check engine compression.

pijoy

Dec 6, 2011
Penang
I have similar problem like this before. Drive on highway and exceed 3k rpm, start to hear
knocking sound. I realise that my engine oil exceeded max mark on the dipstick. So, I adjust oil
level (suck it out) back below max level marking. And now no knocking sound at all after that. Base on my experience.

pert

Known Member
May 11, 2005
Damansara
Encounter this before, 5th gear slow drive, when pedal about to reached 3+++ rpm knocking start. my foreman re-set the cams setting and fuel pressure, kawtim.

aleemy

Oct 16, 2014
Selayang
Encounter this before, 5th gear slow drive, when pedal about to reached 3+++ rpm knocking start. my foreman re-set the cams setting and fuel pressure, kawtim.
So basically whats the problem,maybe we encounter the same problem

pert

Known Member
May 11, 2005
Damansara
So basically whats the problem,maybe we encounter the same problem
Mine last time caused by cams setting was too advance and fuel pressure low. My formen re-tune back the cams degree and fuel press, kawtim. No more knocking even hit the red line. ;)

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys,
I'm looking for ecu pinout diagram for Satria 1.6. Anybody that have a copy of the diagram is appreciate to give me the link. tq
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience