Re-Wrapping dashboard

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
dear all, recently i re-wrapped my dashboard
=P
forget re-spraying, wrapping is the better thought less color choices
what i did was i bought a grey colored gsr dashboard
then re-wrapped it to black pvc on the top and black (furry furry) fabric on the bottom
not bad, very nice indeed and i believe i can still do a better job at it
this are the results

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
it was
actually i did it twice
first time, i used a different type of pvc, and it sorta bubbled up
then i changed to a more expensive pvc, and oh my god, the results are great
now i am thinking of making it into a business
anyone wanna be my customer
=P

took me over two days to finish it with sour fingers

Jwu

Apr 25, 2005
Klang
Visit site
I also wanted to re-wrap or maybe re-spray those eeky plastic at the dashboard. Just want to know if you took the dashboard out to do ur wrapping? or just worked around with the dashboard intact in the car?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
PVc is known to stretch and sag over time. Just do not exposed the pvc to sun, if not the surface will sag......or the pvc surface would crack....believe me as i have tried it before. Aniway the wrapping of the dashboard look very nice. Good DIY!

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
have to take out the dashboard
else cannot take the pvc fiberglass out to wrap the pvc over it

the clothe part was easy but tedious

it is stretching the pvc that was a bit more difficult

the pvc just need monthly lubrication then wun crack
if not lubricated monthly, then it might just become too dry, can also use shoe polish to lubricate it
=P

Jwu

Apr 25, 2005
Klang
Visit site
Darkaccon > For the pvc, i think its definately better to take out the dashboard.. but how about the plastic part (i.e. glove box, side plastic near radio unit, etc) can we just take bits by bits out, without taking the top part of the dashboard out?

Coz i have no intention of doing the top part (pvc) only want to do the below part where the flimsy plastic bits are located. So do i still have to take the whole dashboard out?

Sifus plz advice....

kww

Oct 21, 2004
Nice job dude, can I know where you bought the pvc? Thanks.

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
if just the bottom part, then u can just take out the glove compartment, the plastic below the steering and also the speaker cover on the left side

the only things that u need to wrap while inside the car would be the center and also the part above the glove compartment

=P
i can wrap for u if u wan
for a fee
=P

Jwu

Apr 25, 2005
Klang
Visit site
Thanks bro, but i might have to postpone any stuff at the moment.. coz broke le, just paid insurance and road tax. The bonus i was hoping to get haven't come yet... :sad_smile:

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
ehehe
broke also
and coming april have to pay road tax and insurance
haih, lucky got 50% off for road tax
=P
else arr, april no money to eat already

killa626

Known Member
Jan 10, 2006
yo ppl...i wanna ask sumting pls...im thinking of respraying my dashboard..the top part is made of polyurethane rite and the bottom is made out of plastic rite..so, what type of paint do i need to buy?is it the normal can type that can be found in almost any hardware shop or is it sum other type?and do i need to sandpaper the plastic of the dashboard?thankss for all the help..
G.

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
first off

the top part is pvc, not PU
beneath the pvc is fiberglass

bottom is plastic
yeap

try to get a sandpaper that is about 250 grid
sand a bit to give a little bit of rough surface to ensure that the paint sticks

but do remember that u have to take out the dashboard to do this, dun even think of doing it while the dashboard is inside, will be bloody messy unless u are careful enough

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
almost forgot

the paint u can get those normal can types which does an almost excellent job
or u can get the car paint from duppon which has more choices of paint type and paint colour ( but this requires some investment )

i took the second alternative for my door panels, in which if u see the pictures, you will notice that the top part of my door panels are black and bottom is greenish silver, yeap, i sprayed both top and bottom of the door panel (and i am planning to re-wrap the bottom part and fixed up the top part)

getting the car paint would require an air compressor and an air gun

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guys,
please advice me here any of the Radiostar users having my problem :
- the alarm to sensitive till a small bump/thunder/loud exhaust from car passing by and some time jus small knock triggers teh alarm !
its quite annoying and disturbing me / other road users or its even dangerous at parking bays n its jus make people irritating and might damage my car !
- so users pls advice me n share this problem that anyone has faced before n solved it by ................(info pls) :secret...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience