radiator drinking water like mad..

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

bobo

500 RPM
Jun 16, 2005
Klang Mali
hey guys.. i'm facing this prob for few weeks edi.. since my timing belt snap n i change the head of my engine my radiator is drinking water.. if i drive from klang to sunway i have to stop in the petrol station in kesas highway to cool down the car.. my mech check everything n there is no leaking.. i'm still wondering what is wrong with it.. if i on my air-cond and drive above 80km/h the temp will go up high then the water like finish liao.. btw i drive a honda civic sr3.. anyone here knows wats the possible prob?

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
BLaCkHoWLiNG said:
yr head gasket's leaking..
:shocked: haha.. jk only.. :_:

yeap, check ur engine head gasket.
open the radiator cap and let the engne run until normal temp. if got bubble might be the gasket.

bobo

500 RPM
Jun 16, 2005
Klang Mali
the gasket is also new wan wor.. change last week onli..

i try open the cap n run the engine.. 1st got bubble la cause i fill in water ma.. cause the radiator like almost kering kontang liao.. after that tarak bubble liao..

the other thing is my temp will go up if i leave the car idle too long.. example if i stop in a traffic light that is jam..

Last edited:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
radiator leaking??... or the cap not secured properly??...

bobo

500 RPM
Jun 16, 2005
Klang Mali
there is no leaking any where wor.. the cap at the bottom is ok mer.. so far me n my mech check there is no leaking ler.. if radiator leaking will be very visible edi mer.. i ask my mech radiator leaking izzit that time.. he told me if leaking he change edi nonit now so headache.. hehehe.. n i don see any water stain when i park my car.. so i don think is radiator leaking.. correct me if i'm wrong in identifying the prob..

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
maybe..

radiator cap's rubber old already, water become hot and stim goes out from there, the pressure inside not enough and the water boil

the cap at the bottom of radiator (draining nut) leak

the water pump not running? (termostat problem?)

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
sometimes changing the gasket alone wont help.. u need to skim the head (and in some extreme cases, the block also has to be skimmed).. then only the surface will be equal (flat).. else there will be leakage.. radiator fan not working will result in overheating but not drying of radiator water

[s]UpErNoVa

Known Member
Feb 8, 2006
perhaps ur radiator hose got tiny leakage tat u might not be able to see? coz if radiator runs out of water normally de problem is due to leakage somewhere.. unless special cases like de water gets evaporated in a particular part of de engine.. not so sure bout tat though.. :regular_smile:

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
BLaCkHoWLiNG said:
sometimes changing the gasket alone wont help.. u need to skim the head (and in some extreme cases, the block also has to be skimmed).. then only the surface will be equal (flat).. else there will be leakage.. radiator fan not working will result in overheating but not drying of radiator water
this is a possibilty but normally occurs after the engine suffered from very high temperature causing the cylinder head and/or engine block to twist.
one way to check for burnt cylinder head gasket is by cranking the engine and radiator cap removed.

if water shoots up - that's it. u need to change a new head gasket as well as skim the surface.

otherwise look at some other points.

in a cooling system, there are many supporting components.
my best advise is to conduct a pressure test. need a special tool though.

this is a list of a common cooling system in a liquid cooled vehicle.

1. radiator
2. radiator hoses
3. radiator cap
4. radiator expansion tank @ spare tank
5. radiator fan motor
6. radiator fan blade
7. radiator fan guard @ shroud
8. water pump
9. thermostat
10. water inlet pipe

excpet for item 5,6 & 7, all the above could let water leak either during engine operating or even during halt.

bobo

500 RPM
Jun 16, 2005
Klang Mali
ok.. thanks guys... we tested the fan is working.. radiator cap i did change to a new 1 when i got my car that time.. the radiator expansion wat leaking so we change it also... we tried checking all the piping but dont see any leaking.. maybe should try the pressure test n see if that can be solution.. will be going over 2 my mech shop later in the eve.. hope can find a solution.. thanks for all the advice guys.. will post again if still got prob..

bAbE83

Known Member
Nov 24, 2004
Visit site
heh..
i had the same prob with my car b4..
radiator drinking water like nobody's business..be it idle or driving...temp shooting up...
it turned out to be my water pump..after i changed it~ back to normal *^^*

bobo

500 RPM
Jun 16, 2005
Klang Mali
ooo.. i ask my mech.. he say if change head scared the head draining the water wor..

i just came back frm my mech shop.. he just change the water pump so ask me 2 test the car for few days.. on the way back just now the temperature went abt 3/4 of the meter.. really dont know wats the prob..

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Always happens in the north south highway, yes I know the speed limit is 110kph, but aint the right lane is supposedly for overtaking? Because of these inconsiderate drivers who hog the right lane, this causes congestion and also pisses off many drivers. I dont understand why is it so hard for some people to move to the left lane if you can see another car behind you flash at you politely. Normally we would understand and wait if the car infront takes their time to slowly overtake those...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience