Pro's and Con's Of A Can-Lari ( Kenari )?

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
As above. Here's my take :

Pro's :
- large space, therefore comfortable for both short and long distance driving.
- good fuel FC.
- acceptable comfort level ( for local car costing under RM 50k new ).
- large aftermarket support.

Con's :
- Wind noise from 90kph ( I heard that this can be reduced, how? )
- Handling ( well, I own a EG3+6, known as Honda's Sporty Civic! )

Anything else, I dunno much lah. The thing is, I'm thinking of buying a 2nd car for daily driving and balik kampung drives. I've thought about buying a 2nd hand 1.4 IDSI Jazz, but a Kenari is within reach with the same budget, brand new summore. And when I feel the itch to drive fast or for my SIC track days, I'll drive my EG hatchie lah. I don't like MyVi, as it feels cramped ( to me ) compared to Kenari lah.

Is there any apparent problems that Kenari ( auto ) might have ( 2nd hand or new )? Like rattling interiors, auto GB etc? Btw, which Kenaris get that red / black interior?

Tohsan

Over 10,000 RPM!
Nov 13, 2004
Char Kuoy Teow
Yo Ace79 taiko,this issue already been discussed for a lot of time. Here are some point for you to consider:

1.It got wind noise which can't be solve
2.This is a tall car with skinny tyres hence handling is not that good.
3.Engine vibration is a common feature becos this is a 3 cylinder car.
4.Stock wise this is quick a comfort car which quite suit city drive for long distance wise i will suggest u to use ur honda.
5.Fuel consumption wise is quite ok,as u know as car aged so is the fuel consumption increase.
6.Maintenance wise is quite reasonable n economy.
7.The front disc brake always encounter over heat if u try go up and down Genting a few round n apply a lot of braking, it tend to be spongy a bit or worse sometime no brake i think.
8.Stock wise it can reach 140km/h easily after that its like take ages to reach 160km/h.
9.U got a lot of aftermarket accessories for modding the interior and extrerior.
10.Its a nice car to play ice if it is properly soundproofed.
11.Its a nice family weekend car,easy to park n drive,almost hassle free.

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
Ah, sorry Tohsan. I was abit lazy to search the forum, since ZTH is still upgrading. Dun call me taiko la brother, I'm still a small fish in the industry! Eheh!

Driving my Honda for long - distance driving? Eeek! With the upcoming plans for the EG ( hence the idea of buying another car ), the EG will be too hard ( suspension - wise ) for long - distance and kampung road driving!

Speed about 140 kph is more than enough for me, since nowadays is too risky to speed up over the Sg Besi - Johor PLUS highway stretch nowadays.

Engine vibration, hhhmmmm, how to encounter that. Soundproofing is in my mind also, and maybe a nice 2 DIN LCD setup plus a SPL sound system too.

About the fuel economy, although the car is old ( if I buy 2nd ), you can still regain the fuel economy if you go for a full engine + auto GB checkup and service as soon as you get your car. That was what I did when I first got my EG, spent about RM 2k for engine and bushes. Well, now some of the bushes is a bit kaput after a few SIC sessions last year though...

Braking - wise, maybe a pad upgrade will be better.

Ah, I already now what to do if I get myself a Can-Lari....
- engine + auto GB checkup, service and replace parts if necessary )
- check all bushes ( change if necessary, got SuperPro ah for Can-Lari? )
- 3M tint ( since the Can-Lari is a glasshouse on the move! )
- soundproofing ( to get that nice door shut "thud!" noise etc )
- SPL sound system setup with a 10 inch sub, plus a 2 DIN LCD VCD / DVD player ( entertainment for my siblings during balik kampung trips )
- diff wheels ( for a nice look )
- change dampers to Koni ( again, for a nice look and perhaps better body control? )

I'm thinking of the new Kenari RS, no need to change exterior or wheels. But the interior colour....aiayh....it's not like what the older gen Kenari Aero got ( the red / black interior? I like that one, so similar to my EG6 interior trim! ) lah...

Tohsan, many thanks for your info!

Yo Ace79 taiko,this issue already been discussed for a lot of time. Here are some point for you to consider:

1.It got wind noise which can't be solve
2.This is a tall car with skinny tyres hence handling is not that good.
3.Engine vibration is a common feature becos this is a 3 cylinder car.
4.Stock wise this is quick a comfort car which quite suit city drive for long distance wise i will suggest u to use ur honda.
5.Fuel consumption wise is quite ok,as u know as car aged so is the fuel consumption increase.
6.Maintenance wise is quite reasonable n economy.
7.The front disc brake always encounter over heat if u try go up and down Genting a few round n apply a lot of braking, it tend to be spongy a bit or worse sometime no brake i think.
8.Stock wise it can reach 140km/h easily after that its like take ages to reach 160km/h.
9.U got a lot of aftermarket accessories for modding the interior and extrerior.
10.Its a nice car to play ice if it is properly soundproofed.
11.Its a nice family weekend car,easy to park n drive,almost hassle free.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Can this shine anymore?
Hello friends! :itsme:

I was back from KL, meeting KC. I had to start my first detail after the trip.

This was my baby, a 2004 Honda Civic V-tec. (Not anymore! She’s someone else’s now. But I still love her.)
Obviously, being a house member, she expected more attention from me. So, I couldn't choose any other ride. I remember KC saying take care of the family first!

(I’ve lost a lot of pictures of her due to a data transfer gone wrong. What’s remaining...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience