Project Z Week 9 : Dashboard out and ideas

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak

So we enter week 9, I've been busy like hell for the past week, as income tax submissions come to an end, work just piles up (Not related to Zerotohundred, but I like to rant!). So yes, our project is moving along, but pretty slowly, blame it on tight schedule and some wonderful things coming right up. Yes, yours truly is gonna show you the world of Europe, I will be there for a month and I will do things most motor heads wishes to do!

Anyways, back to the story, our good friend and sponsor to the project, Edison from Top Secret, has removed the dashboard over the weekend. Noticing how much filth, dirt and dust that goes behind this car, one could imagine what a life this car has lived. This car is now 24 years old and it will celebrate it's own Silver Jubilee next year. Let's hope the car would be fixed up in time to have it's birthday cake next year!

Since the dashboard is out, I wonder if I can get anyone capable who is able to put his hands on retrimming a dashboard. If money is not an issue, I'd go for Alcantara, then again, I'd be satisfied to have my hands on black leather, replacing the old grey leather, which has definitely aged and faded away.

When this dashboard was taken out, a big light bulb lit brightly on top of my head. This calls for an idea, why don't we do something radical to the car, make this car as awesome as the one you would find in a Star Wars set. This would be the car Darth Vader or the Stormtroopers would drive, like a real Tie Fighter! Digital dash are some great ideas!

Of course, the original dash had only green backlight instead of blue, but I'm sure a good wireman would be able to wire up some great blue LEDs. This would definitely give a very awesome 80's feel, just like TRON! (or Knight Rider, based on the aircond designs, contributed by knight_z31 at z31.com) Here's a simple 80's decal over the existing A/C controls.

Well the dash design is endless, of course, one could stick with the original dashboard and rewire it with newer bright LEDs from the current age. Choose your pick, cast your vote!

I will be away next week to Europe, so this project will be put on hiatus up to a month. I will be back by August 5th, stay tuned!

Attachments

nikolaiski

Known Member
Nov 4, 2005
I'd vote the retro-futuristic dashboard in. If you can recall, lotsa Nissans, Toyotas and MAZDAS (929) of the late 80s or early 90s had digital speedo readouts and they were quite the interesting thing back then when I was a kid. Kinda brings back the nostalgia. But please PLEASE do not ruin it with millions of gauges/Apexi this/Blitz that...if you must, hide a Defi multi-link VSD and the boost controller in the dashboard...lol

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
yeah...go for digital dash....

if u want simple...then motec multi-dash display is the one i prefer :biggrin:

and i hope there's minimal/discreet auxilary meter.....

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
if u decide to use the original digital meter, i'll donate one but u need to find the control unit for the meter cos mine was stolen a while back...

its available on ebay for like $50... and do google on how to wire in the digital meter onto analogue dash

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak