Possible Engine Swaps for Hyundai Elantra?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

-e f i n i-

Known Member
Dec 6, 2004
Kuching
Visit site
if you guys have been loggin on to the Kia Forums and looked at the Korean Cars gallery, you might have noticed this car.

Phat eh?
You see, it is the pic's fault that i am here creating this topic. Personally, I think Elantra Engines are weak, no offence, 130bhp for a 1200kg car.. its a bit underpowered to me, and its not very tuner friendly too.
So im now wondering, what kind of engines can be fitted in the Elantra? Sinces its FWD..
3SGTE(not the 205/215 variant)? I mean of course not those swaps tht require 4WD conversions, else JPJ would be chasing you.
And also.... if a Korean car receives a Jap engine, the mounting would change already right? So, JPJ would approve of your transplant right?

So, if 2ZZGE/3SGTE or some other tune-able japs engines were to be fitted in the stomach of the elantra... would it require any major mounting mods?

thanks

zique

Kopi O Lesen Driver
Jun 30, 2004
Kuala Lumpur, M
mikeyip.com
well depending on which year the Elantra is from, you can look at fitting a VR4 or an EVO engine into it without worry about the mounting.

But then, I own a stock car, not modified, I'll let those that has some modding experience to point out ... :D

-e f i n i-

Known Member
Dec 6, 2004
Kuching
Visit site
but then, which gearbox to use? evo and vr4 are both 4WD...
and which evo do u mean? Evo1 to Evo3 or Evo4 onwards? but since u said
..you can look at fitting a VR4 or an EVO engine into it without worry about the mounting.
i bet it has to be Evo1~3 then.

-e f i n i-

Known Member
Dec 6, 2004
Kuching
Visit site
Hmm i wanna know...
if Evo and VR4 has 4WD gearbox... and if u ask the mechanic to lock it... it'll become FWD right? or can u have it as RWD?
aNd is 4WD lock legal?

SiGNAL

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Ya Mum's House
Visit site
4WD lock is not illegal. The reason you wanna lock it is to change to FF because there's no room for the longshaft, so you can't make it an FR if your car is originally an FF. I'm not sure bout the new Hyundai but older Hyundai like the Hyundai Coupe share the same engine as Mitsu, VR4 is a direct bolt on.

-e f i n i-

Known Member
Dec 6, 2004
Kuching
Visit site
@SiGNAL : I see.... Thanks for the info...
@alien : yap... zth Kia forums

Hmm... if it depends on the year of the model...., tht means the newer elantra model, like the one in the pic i posted up there, the mountings have changed and VR4/EVO powerplants cant really fit right in anymore?

Kopi

500 RPM
May 18, 2004
Cheras
Visit site
Hyundais hav almost same chassis built up like the Mitsis. There wouldn't be much of a problem getting a G63T inside an elantra... by the way, we've succeeded getting the Proton Tiaras charged with 4E-FTE, 1st Gen Celicas with 4AG, ummm... and my personal favourite... SR20DET Datsun 120Y...

Good luck.