Please Advice on audio set up

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear All Experienced People,

I would love to get some opinions for my car's audio system. I recently bought this AE111 and the salesman conned me. He said he will take away the amp only. But he replaced the player with a fake and spoiled pioneer and replaced cheap speakers (Brand is Q10 max audio. Could find this brand in google at all) at the back. I am a noob in ICE and really need advise on how to have a decent system without too much cost. Already no money T.T

Now in this car, I have to change my player for sure. Now I do not know how to decide as my budget for player is RM300. I can get a low end original pioneer/sony/JVC (withou RCA) all the way to a high end flea market brand that can play cd, dvd, wma, mp3 (maybe with RCA) and a lot more functions.
Question 1: Which is a better choice? In terms or reliability, sound quality?

Question 2: Which is more important? Player or speaker or amp? My friend told me to get good player and just get a china amp.

Question 3: So does speaker affect the sound produced?
Question 4: Does amp affect the sound produced? Is it true that we can just use a cheaper amp and the sound would't be affected much?

Question 5: What is the difference of using a 2 way speaker and a component set?

Question 6: Why do people say that component set is better since 2 way speakers also has a mid-bass and tweeter to play their own specialized sound?

Question 7: Does only component set requires crossover or 2-way speaker also? What is the difference in sound?

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Please advice... Thank you!

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
Now in this car, I have to change my player for sure. Now I do not know how to decide as my budget for player is RM300. I can get a low end original pioneer/sony/JVC (withou RCA) all the way to a high end flea market brand that can play cd, dvd, wma, mp3 (maybe with RCA) and a lot more functions.
get branded ones, or try to find 2nd hand ones, u get a higher model at the same price

Question 2: Which is more important? Player or speaker or amp? My friend told me to get good player and just get a china amp.
all also important, a system is only as good as its weakest link. but i would rank it speaker, then player, then amp

most definitely

Question 4: Does amp affect the sound produced? Is it true that we can just use a cheaper amp and the sound would't be affected much?
yes it will effect, but u can use a cheap one in the mean time, but not necessary to use amp also can, just save your money to get a better amp next time

Question 5: What is the difference of using a 2 way speaker and a component set?
2 way speaker dont need amp, components work better with amp. sound quality also much better with components

Question 6: Why do people say that component set is better since 2 way speakers also has a mid-bass and tweeter to play their own specialized sound?
ferarri got 4 tyre, proton also got 4 tyre, so how?
civic type r engine is 2000cc, proton perdana also 2000cc...u get my drift?

Question 7: Does only component set requires crossover or 2-way speaker also? What is the difference in sound?
component set has a passive crossover included, 2 way speaker uses a simplified method of using a small capacitor to filter, can find it under the speaker somewhere

[/QUOTE]

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
get branded ones, or try to find 2nd hand ones, u get a higher model at the same price

all also important, a system is only as good as its weakest link. but i would rank it speaker, then player, then amp

most definitely

yes it will effect, but u can use a cheap one in the mean time, but not necessary to use amp also can, just save your money to get a better amp next time

2 way speaker dont need amp, components work better with amp. sound quality also much better with components

component set has a passive crossover included, 2 way speaker uses a simplified method of using a small capacitor to filter, can find it under the speaker somewhere
[/QUOTE]

Thank you Sir! That explanation certainly did help!

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

most definitely

[/QUOTE]

One more thing... I noticed you said passive crossover. I understand that there is active and passive. Which one is better/cheaper?

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
Veloc...there was a discussion about active Vs passive x-overs somewhere in the ICE section. remember reading it quite some time ago. a lot of pros would say that a good passive is better than an active.

besides, there are quite a number of good comp sets for sale that aredy come with their own passive x-overs.

Zenn...u still selling ICE stuff?

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
One more thing... I noticed you said passive crossover. I understand that there is active and passive. Which one is better/cheaper?
passive comes with your component speaker set, no need to buy separately. this is used when 2ch of an amp is powering both mids & tweets. so passive xover is used to split the frequencies between the two speakers. high frequency goes to the tweeter, middle frequencies goes to the midrange.

active or electronic crossover is used when u have more than one amp in the system. it comes in between the player & the amps. its used in the same way, to split the frequencies to the proper amp. high frequencies go to the tweeter's amp, middle to the mid's amp, and low frequencies to the subwoofer amp. nowadays some head units have electronic crossovers built in already, save some wiring money.

arturo yes still got, over here...
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/ice-in-car-entertainment/112072-sq-stuff-for-sale.html

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
passive comes with your component speaker set, no need to buy separately. this is used when 2ch of an amp is powering both mids & tweets. so passive xover is used to split the frequencies between the two speakers. high frequency goes to the tweeter, middle frequencies goes to the midrange.

active or electronic crossover is used when u have more than one amp in the system. it comes in between the player & the amps. its used in the same way, to split the frequencies to the proper amp. high frequencies go to the tweeter's amp, middle to the mid's amp, and low frequencies to the subwoofer amp. nowadays some head units have electronic crossovers built in already, save some wiring money.

arturo yes still got, over here...
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/ice-in-car-entertainment/112072-sq-stuff-for-sale.html
Thanks Zenn,

Since crossover does this job, then what is the RCA for? I saw this thing written in a Pioneer player box. My friend told me that RCA is to split the frequency range to the respective speakers. So it has overlapping jobs with crossover?

And also, my friend said that if i use players without RCA, I have to use a splitter to split the frequency range but the quality is not good. Is this true? Which option is cheaper?

Thanks!

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
ask your fren go fly kite la....

rca is a name of cable, which is the signal cable used from player to amp. comes in left /right, coloured red & white usually.
good players come with 3 rca outputs or pre-outs. cheaper ones have 2. OEM players have none.
when u have no electronic crossover, thats when u use a rca splitter, or Y-cable, but only if you dont have any money, not a good solution SQ wise.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
ask your fren go fly kite la....

rca is a name of cable, which is the signal cable used from player to amp. comes in left /right, coloured red & white usually.
good players come with 3 rca outputs or pre-outs. cheaper ones have 2. OEM players have none.
when u have no electronic crossover, thats when u use a rca splitter, or Y-cable, but only if you dont have any money, not a good solution SQ wise.
May I ask then so what is the difference of having one and 3 RCA? What is the function of having more than 1 signal cable?

2. Lets say if my budget cannot get me a pioneer with 3 RCA (RM500), but I can only get a single RCA (RM300), is it same if I just get a flea brand (RM180-200) ?

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
if u have 3 rca u can control the sound of each output.
3 rca can be high/mid/low, so u control the sound going to tweeter, midrange and sub
or 3 rca can be front/rear/sub
2 rca can be front/rear, or can be front/sub
1 rca, usually we use for sub lah
so allows u to use more amps/channels

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear all Sound Expert...

Alright... I have finally narrowed down my choice... Now I am finally considering 2. A 2nd hand pioneer (don't know how many years) with 3 RCA that cost RM225 including install or a brand new basic pioneer that cost RM245. The new one has warranty.

I am tempted to get the 2nd hand one. But with my current set up, I just have two dome tweeter and 2 Pegasus mid bass up front, a pair of "don;t know what brand" mid bass at the back headrest, and normal cheap subwoofer in the trunk. Using normal wiring for the whole system. Not expensive ones.

So is there any effect of the 3 rca over the single pre-out one? Because I heard people said before that for an audio sys to be good, everything in the system must be good. In that case, it is better for me to get the new one with warranty even if it is with only 1 preout. I only use 1 amp to power my subwoofer. Midbass and tweeter do not have amps but planning to fix it in the future.

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
get the new one, u dont need 3 rca