Krak Krak Krak!

Rily

Jun 5, 2009
Hi all sifus!

I like to ask, sometimes when i turn to my right hand side, the Krak Krak Krak sound will be heard, only sometimes but i got worse if I were to drive the car the whole day, its less if I drive less. Im freak out to send into workshops, as nowadays is difficult to look for an honest workshop.

Also, the front left suspension, everytime i got over a little bum there is also Krak Krak Krak sound, anyway, ive change my 2 front absorbers 2 months ago...

Please advise guys.
Rily.:banghead:

ecal echal

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
normally if turning either left or right and producing that kind of sound,it's associated with ur driveshaft as what bro Danz mentioned. lower arms,if u're looking for ori Proton part i think its kinda pricey.but shaft wont cost u so much,i presume. go to COE if u're located in Klang Valley and purchase those parts,pasang at ur trusted bengkel. dont go to SC,all the same...lembab is their key word.hahahaha

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
might as well check your absorber mountings.
did u change them when installed new absorbers?

Rily

Jun 5, 2009
normally if turning either left or right and producing that kind of sound,it's associated with ur driveshaft as what bro Danz mentioned. lower arms,if u're looking for ori Proton part i think its kinda pricey.but shaft wont cost u so much,i presume. go to COE if u're located in Klang Valley and purchase those parts,pasang at ur trusted bengkel. dont go to SC,all the same...lembab is their key word.hahahaha
Bro Ecal, thanks for your info, yea, ive never been to SC since the 3rd foc service, all these time, i service sendiri, but my ride now is clocking 63k for 4 years, i thought of sending it to SC for a major service for 60k. at the same time also ask them to check to see what wrong, then i'll try to go outside bengkel should be fine.:listen:

anyway, how can a lower arm be broken, is it the bushings? lower arm its just an arm to hold our wheels and chasis right?

Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

might as well check your absorber mountings.
did u change them when installed new absorbers?
yea, bro, previously when i check my ride at outside bengkel, the mountings are broken! the hole to hold the absorber got bigger! how can that happen? im not a hard core driver and i try my best all the time to avoid potholes, anyways... it happened..

ecal echal

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
i think the hole gotten bigger coz sudah tua kot....hahahah.anyway no harm checking/replacing abs mounting oso....or just do complete round check je since u're saying wanna bring to SC.
wahhh 63k 4 years...mine 64k in 1.5 year je...hahahaha.kesian my car...

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
rilly, the lower arm got bush...when the bush wears out the arm will have freeplay in them...the lower arm is to help with the steering and wheels of the car....

about the hole where they screw in the bolt to hold the absorber...it might be the thread wear off or overtighten causing the thread to break. This makes the bolt could not tighten properly...

Rily

Jun 5, 2009
i think the hole gotten bigger coz sudah tua kot....hahahah.anyway no harm checking/replacing abs mounting oso....or just do complete round check je since u're saying wanna bring to SC.
wahhh 63k 4 years...mine 64k in 1.5 year je...hahahaha.kesian my car...
yea thanks bro! your ride jerks when you floor the pedal? my ride is like that since the first day! i pun dah malas to tell the SC, there was once i replace my fuel filter, it was only ok for a while then the issue persist!

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

rilly, the lower arm got bush...when the bush wears out the arm will have freeplay in them...the lower arm is to help with the steering and wheels of the car....

about the hole where they screw in the bolt to hold the absorber...it might be the thread wear off or overtighten causing the thread to break. This makes the bolt could not tighten properly...
Titan, thanks for the info, you mean the mechanic shouldnt tighten the mounting using their gigantic power? the i think i will have problem again, the previous time i was looking at the mechanic using his air-gun to really tighten the mounting!:banghead:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
rilly, tighten with airgun no problem...but is how it is tighten that matters....it also depends on the bolt condition....

crazykatak

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2006
Subang Jaya
quick tip : when turning full lock to right or left example making a tight u-turn, driveshaft noise can be heard.
- say if u make a tight right hand turn, u hear "krak krak krak krak krak" ( the whole duration of keeping the tight right hand turn ) could indicate left hand side drive shaft is worn out.

-say if u make a tight left hand turn, u hear "krak krak krak krak krak" ( the whole duration of keeping the tight left hand turn ) could indicate right hand side drive shaft is worn out.
- drive shaft boot may be torn causing the noise..get this rectified quick :D

for a 4 year old car, i doubt that lower arm bushes are gone with the wind..
perhaps its the anti-roll link rod free play causing it to hit with chassis / suspension component.
and, the absorber top mount has a reputation for quickly wearing out. whenever possible, opt for genuine absorber top mounts. they cost more, but lasts abit longer than imitation ones sold in the market.

u can try to tighten all under carriage bolts..hand tighten should be okay, just dont over do it..

Rily

Jun 5, 2009
quick tip : when turning full lock to right or left example making a tight u-turn, driveshaft noise can be heard.
- say if u make a tight right hand turn, u hear "krak krak krak krak krak" ( the whole duration of keeping the tight right hand turn ) could indicate left hand side drive shaft is worn out.

-say if u make a tight left hand turn, u hear "krak krak krak krak krak" ( the whole duration of keeping the tight left hand turn ) could indicate right hand side drive shaft is worn out.
- drive shaft boot may be torn causing the noise..get this rectified quick :D

for a 4 year old car, i doubt that lower arm bushes are gone with the wind..
perhaps its the anti-roll link rod free play causing it to hit with chassis / suspension component.
and, the absorber top mount has a reputation for quickly wearing out. whenever possible, opt for genuine absorber top mounts. they cost more, but lasts abit longer than imitation ones sold in the market.

u can try to tighten all under carriage bolts..hand tighten should be okay, just dont over do it..
Hey bro, the sound its just 1 to 3 times, and i notice that it only happen once in a while, when i wanna try it out to my fren, then no sound!:banghead: you were saying that the "krak krak krak" will go continuously while full turning correct? but my case its not like that, the sounds (to be more precise) its like when there are 2pieces of metal being lock together, then when i turn my steering, it sounds like the 2 metals are splited...:banghead::stupid:

Rily

Jun 5, 2009
Hi All,

Thanks for all your advises, Im writing this bcos i just thought updating you guys about my ride.

Done the 60k major service that cost me RM550 - did overall checking, apparently is fine and new according to the proton SC (1st proton SC). They manage to make the "krak krak krak" sound gone totally happy about it.

The sounds are coming back gradually louder and louder, by the 3rd day, the sound is there again!

Went back to the SC - conclusion is - they cannot find where is the problem and ask me go back to the place i changed my absorber previously (which is at pandan indah tire shop) - SC said they dont wanna cost me further problem, hence they did not initiate to probe further.

Today, I went to another proton SC also located in setapak - they also didnt manage to find the cause of the sound - anyway, by looking at the pattern they work, i decided to collect back my ride and start updating you guys, to see if there are any better suggestions for my ride...:banghead:

summary,

I dont know what to do. also having a phobia of going to outside workshop again. sigh.

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
Hi, u said: They manage to make the "krak krak krak" sound gone totally happy about it.

Wat they did firstly? if they only put some grease here & there problem wont solved! Mostly ur drive shaft already torn (or worst gearbox housing bearing, then need change gearbox...)
but refer on above situation, u should check the drive shaft 1st!(got sound only during turning right? how bout drive in straight /winding road?)

Rily

Jun 5, 2009
Hi, u said: They manage to make the "krak krak krak" sound gone totally happy about it.

Wat they did firstly? if they only put some grease here & there problem wont solved! Mostly ur drive shaft already torn (or worst gearbox housing bearing, then need change gearbox...)
but refer on above situation, u should check the drive shaft 1st!(got sound only during turning right? how bout drive in straight /winding road?)
Hey man,

Apologies for lack of infos, the problem happens when: -

- 50%-70% of turning of left and right side while slow moving, like, side parking or heading into parking.

- also when the car is stationary, its loud towards right turning, softer sound during left turning.

Im quite sure its not the drive shaft, as i recognize the sound of fault drive shaft - the sound for faulty shaft its like continuously while turning correct?

You freak me out when you mentioned about gearbox! :banghead:

What they did initially was put back a brake clip - soemwhere I dont know - cos SC said it wasnt there, maybe bcos of the previous outside workshop forgot to put it back.

can you share with me, how about the gearbox can come into the picture of this matter? appreciate your infos...

crazykatak

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2006
Subang Jaya
have a look at the anti roll link rods. they might be hitting on the front subframe as u make a turn. sometimes going over uneven roads also will make noise.
noise is difficult to detect.
noise.. noise.. noise..

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
Hey man,

Apologies for lack of infos, the problem happens when: -

- 50%-70% of turning of left and right side while slow moving, like, side parking or heading into parking.

- also when the car is stationary, its loud towards right turning, softer sound during left turning.

Im quite sure its not the drive shaft, as i recognize the sound of fault drive shaft - the sound for faulty shaft its like continuously while turning correct?

You freak me out when you mentioned about gearbox! :banghead:

What they did initially was put back a brake clip - soemwhere I dont know - cos SC said it wasnt there, maybe bcos of the previous outside workshop forgot to put it back.

can you share with me, how about the gearbox can come into the picture of this matter? appreciate your infos...
Means gigi sudah makan... Ur car manual or auto? it will happen due to hard cornering, improper turning radius on steering & etc... Maybe can check ur ball join?! Pls dun :shot: if wrong

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

have a look at the anti roll link rods. they might be hitting on the front subframe as u make a turn. sometimes going over uneven roads also will make noise.
noise is difficult to detect.
noise.. noise.. noise..
Agreed:top:

caples5

Oct 29, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi TS,

I also encounter this after changing my absorbers and mount some time ago. went back to the workshop and asked them to change a new set of absorber mount. That solved my problem..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

alooo...
how to make ur crome rims still shining? not 'crome celup'. i mean ori besi shining. need advise from every one.. lets share how u get ur love rims still beauty...all rim types.... black...gold..silver......
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience