• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Search

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear all zth members...

I drive a toyota corolla AE 111 4AFE manual. i have problems changing gear from 2nd to 3rd. I can change, but it is nto smooth and there is a bit of "krak" sound. Like grinding a bit. Unless i shift slower. All other gears are okay.

What could the problem be? If this continues, will be be bad and damage something?

Thank you...

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
sounds like syncro problem to me. have that on my b-series gb as well. very common among vtec engines.

wafuk

May 6, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
probably synchro problem..

but if its been some time haven't change gearbox oil, that it is one of the signs to change. If recently change gearbox oil and still have the "krakk" sound, try a different gearbox oil, thicker if not mistaken, but requires more frequent oil change.

true, honda cars normally have this prob.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
i changed my gear syncros..but problem still persists...i think its something to do with the gear lever.....maybe allignment lari abit......
some say use thinner (fully syn) mtf......cos now im using mineral...change every 6-7k kms....together with engine oil.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Synchro? I also suspect this. But why other gears no prob guys? Like bro Danz said, his 2-3 gear also similar.

By the way, how much does synchro cost? Labour?
I have been having this for about a year. Does it damage the gb?

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

i changed my gear syncros..but problem still persists...i think its something to do with the gear lever.....maybe allignment lari abit......
some say use thinner (fully syn) mtf......cos now im using mineral...change every 6-7k kms....together with engine oil.
Wow bro... Manual gear oil need to change so often o.O ?

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
i also suspect is the gear lever bushes...dunno wat u called it...seen similar thread in MLOC forum.....i changed my whole gbox gears/syncros...but still using the gbox housing......prob still there....

yalor...doesnt costs much...bout rm45 for 4L castrol mineral mtf.....but everytime i change it at 6-7k kms, the oil is dirty...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
i also suspect is the gear lever bushes...dunno wat u called it...seen similar thread in MLOC forum.....i changed my whole gbox gears/syncros...but still using the gbox housing......prob still there....

yalor...doesnt costs much...bout rm45 for 4L castrol mineral mtf.....but everytime i change it at 6-7k kms, the oil is dirty...
Is this really necessary actually? Coz I think the awareness of changing gear oil here is not really there. I mean, almost all cars we use here never change gear oil until condemned. Even when service, mechs always say change engine oil, oil filter, spark plugs, etc...Seldom hear about gear oil. Even when I had my gearbox swap project last time, I remembered I bought gear oil to change. Then I asked how often must change? He said "Just leave it there. No need. Just use it. nobody changes gear oil". LOL. Actually it is okay right?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
wah bro...gear oil must change....cause its the same like engine oil or any other lubrication...after a certain amount of time and usage...it loses the viscosity and fails to lubricate... so it will cause damage to moving parts... every 20k change the gearbox oil...it saves your GB from reaching the problem you are facing now.

the problem you have sounds like syncro issue bro... maybe changing oil might reduce the problem...since yours has not been changed in a while.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Haha... Nola... I changed gb just about 10 months like that. The gear oil also change at that time. Actually since I changed gb got this prob. Just that not obvious so I forgot to ask. So my oil actually still quite new.

Jsut that, all along I use car, I never heard of people changing gb oil. Mechs also say "pakai saja".

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
wah veloc...better u go bck & f**k your mech..who say no need to change...
summore doesnt costs much.......of course u buy the mtf yrself la.....if u change over at the wshop sure he pancung u wan...

try using semi or fully syn mtf...see whether it helps anot.....im gonna try soon....

wafuk

May 6, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
come to think of it, using short shifter also causes gear grinding ("krakk" sound)..so maybe related to ur gear lever issue..

the thicker oil i meant is engine oil but thick viscosity..i think race cars uses this method if not mistaken (substitute transmission oil with engine oil).. suspected prob is if oil is thin, during hot environment it becomes too thin and looses lubricating properties (in a way) which causes the gear grinding...

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
Haha... Nola... I changed gb just about 10 months like that. The gear oil also change at that time. Actually since I changed gb got this prob. Just that not obvious so I forgot to ask. So my oil actually still quite new.

Jsut that, all along I use car, I never heard of people changing gb oil. Mechs also say "pakai saja".
hmmm...you bought form halfcut ah bro? that time its self should have inform them and take another box..

but yeah...suppose to change ..recommended every 20k.

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
ur mechanic enjoys gearbox shopping for u la bro.

i added some additive to my gb in an attempt to reduce the "krak". added this additive called bardahl (or something like that, dont rmb how to spell it)

less harsh (the krak) but its still there. really need to change the syncro adi.. but $$$ is a problem..

changing syncro is exp, u will change all of the syncro's since "u already removed the gb, might as well". it'll all add up to ... RM1-2k..

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
wah veloc...better u go bck & f**k your mech..who say no need to change...
summore doesnt costs much.......of course u buy the mtf yrself la.....if u change over at the wshop sure he pancung u wan...

try using semi or fully syn mtf...see whether it helps anot.....im gonna try soon....
I will fk him next time... LOL

come to think of it, using short shifter also causes gear grinding ("krakk" sound)..so maybe related to ur gear lever issue..

the thicker oil i meant is engine oil but thick viscosity..i think race cars uses this method if not mistaken (substitute transmission oil with engine oil).. suspected prob is if oil is thin, during hot environment it becomes too thin and looses lubricating properties (in a way) which causes the gear grinding...
Oil thinning? Plausible... Thank you for this input...

hmmm...you bought form halfcut ah bro? that time its self should have inform them and take another box..

but yeah...suppose to change ..recommended every 20k.
Oh not halfcut. just gearbox and whole clutch set.

ur mechanic enjoys gearbox shopping for u la bro.

i added some additive to my gb in an attempt to reduce the "krak". added this additive called bardahl (or something like that, dont rmb how to spell it)

less harsh (the krak) but its still there. really need to change the syncro adi.. but $$$ is a problem..

changing syncro is exp, u will change all of the syncro's since "u already removed the gb, might as well". it'll all add up to ... RM1-2k..
Bro... Bardahl is a US brand of lubricant. Quite good brand. Maybe the additive is from them. Synchro such a pain???!!! Oh my gosh!!! Fark man like that... need to fork out $$$ again...

Anyways, thanks to all your input here guys... I think it is synchro. Actually I suspected already. just want to get confirmation because I don't know why other gears don't have this sound. Only 2-3 got.

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

So guys...

If it is synchro, if I leave it and do not want to fix first, is it okay? Will it cause damages/problems if this sound keep happening?

If I just leave the problem first and jus shift slower or do some rev matching, is it okay to continue using?

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
Veloc,

Gear oil required to change base on usage/time period.
I change mine around 15,000km (for all gear type oil).

A friend of mine also having "krak-krak" problem during gear engaging on his Putra.
Suspected synchronism or GB going to "kong"...
After change the gear oil the problem solve...
Since his gear oil already more than a year + drive like "hantu"

If you already change the oil but the "krak-krak" still there.
That's means the mechanical parts already kaput.

Lubrication are important for less friction on mechanical parts.
Some product doesn't require any additional additive.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Veloc,

Gear oil required to change base on usage/time period.
I change mine around 15,000km (for all gear type oil).

A friend of mine also having "krak-krak" problem during gear engaging on his Putra.
Suspected synchronism or GB going to "kong"...
After change the gear oil the problem solve...
Since his gear oil already more than a year + drive like "hantu"

If you already change the oil but the "krak-krak" still there.
That's means the mechanical parts already kaput.

Lubrication are important for less friction on mechanical parts.
Some product doesn't require any additional additive.
Next time I need good oil I look for you bro...Mostly, I use 76 brand. People sya it is cheap brand and not good is it true? But I always use the higher grades, semi-syn ones... I use it because te shop is convenient for me and cheaper too of course...

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
Veloc,

Most of the brand in the market are good.
Just depends how they use it & base on application.

Maybe you could try other brand to make comparison.
Might be it's not a total/final solution on your problem.

How many litres required?
My suggestion to use on type 75W-90.

A Post Every 5 Mins

Hi Zerotohundred members...

I just relocated to melaka and need a trustable workshop here to tune my 4G93 engine...
any recomendation:hmmmm:

I'm staying at Alor Gajah:biggrin:

Thanx in advance:biggrin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Search

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience