JBL Dual Voice Coil vs Single Voice Coil..Diff???

resilienthunter

I just want to drive
Sep 7, 2004
JB
Visit site
hey peeps..
im planning to get a full JBL setup..i noticed 2 different subwoofers..which looked exactly the same except for some labelling...

the first one was.. GT100D
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GT100D&ser=GTS&cat=SUB

and the other was GT100
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GT100&ser=GTS&cat=SUB

the main difference is one being single coil and the other being dual coil..but i dont really understand it.. the website doesnt explain it..

would appreciate any help i can get.. thanks!

ExtremeRC

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
The difference between a SVC and DVC sub is the wiring options it gives you. For a SVC sub, the impedance is fixed, if taking into consideration that you're going to use only one sub. For DVC, let's say a 4ohms DVC sub, you will have 'dynamic' impedances such as 2ohms when wired in paralllel, and 8ohms when wired in series. Why different impedances? Impedance is somehow very close to the term RESISTANCE in circuits.

This example below is gonna be quite technical, but hope my explanation will be simple enough to be understood.

Formula of Voltage, V = [Current, I] x [Resistance, R]

Let's say that the voltage of your car is constant at 13.8v (although in reality it's not!).

1. For a 4ohms SVC sub, the impedance = 4ohms. (There's only 1 wiring option.)
Therefore,
V = 13.8v
R = 4ohms
I = V/R = 3.45A

For a 4ohms DVC sub, there's two wiring option:

2. In parallel,
V = 13.8v
R = 2ohms
I = V/R = 6.9A

3. In Series,
V = 13.8v
R = 8ohms
I = V/R = 1.725A

Now, the formula of Power, P = [Current, I]^2 x [Resistance, R]

Therefore,

1. I = 3.45A, R = 4ohms, P = (3.45)^2 x 4ohms = 47.6w
2. I = 6.9A, R = 2ohms, P = (6.9)^2 x 2ohms = 95.2w
3. I = 1.725A, R = 8ohms, P = (1.725)^2 x 8ohms = 23.8w

From the 3 equations above, which has the highest power rating?
As you can see, the amp outputs more power in Eq. 2 cos the sub has the lowest impedancethat is 2ohms. As mentioned, impedance is some sort like a resistance in a circuit. Therefore, the amp is able to output higher power due to lower 'resistance'. All in all, the general conclusion is the lower impedance your drivers are, the higher power you will get/squeeze from your amp.

resilienthunter

I just want to drive
Sep 7, 2004
JB
Visit site
oooic. very detailed explanation.. cheers mate ;)

so is it safe to say that.. SVC is a better option for single woofer, while DVC is the better choice if i want twin woofers?

ExtremeRC

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
Infact, it all depends on oneself.

There's basically 2 type of common ideas.

1. I already have an amp for my sub, so I will buy a sub to match my amp.
2. I already have a sub, I wanna choose an amp which will match my sub's spec.

But if you yet to have any amp or sub, then ask yourself how many subs you're planning to get. Then, we'll start from there.

resilienthunter

I just want to drive
Sep 7, 2004
JB
Visit site
SQ.

i went to this shop.. i enquired abt a full jbl setup.. it was within my budget..i dont know the exact details ( i had to rush off) .. but i was shown a couple of woofers and some components..

woofers : 2x 10" either the GT100 or the GT100D.. (links are as above.)

components : (the lady recommended that i change front and rear) i believe it was this model.. http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GTO606C&ser=GTS&cat=COS

she also mentioned that i could choose from a range of jbl components depending on my budget..

amps : 2 amps. 1 to drive components and the other fer woofer..

HU : blaupunkt miami beach (stock)

and a pre-amp.

Where does JBL audio stand in the car audio scene? My budget isnt very high.. 5k-6k-ish. and im aware that this can only get me a mid-range system unless i hunt for 2nd hand parts at a lower price. but lazy la.. and would prefer to get it done one-shot.

Hmm.. your views on JBL car audio??

rli appreciate your help.. ;)

cheers!

ExtremeRC

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
Whooa...to be frank, JBL is more SPL oriented. People will often come to you and say, "bah, Sq or not is all up to the tuning", but it is still a known fact that JBL is more popular in the SPL scene. With a budget of RM5-6k, guess you can get quite a decent SQ setup. Infact, you can first make do with a 4-channel amp, a front comp and a 12" sub. Next, save up for a better HU. The workmanship to change a HU will not cost as much as amp and speaker wiring does.

For less than RM2k, you can get an almost good mid-high range comp set such as CDT HD Series, Focal K2P, DLS Reference or Ultimate, Alpine DDLinear, and the list goes on, with some extra. As for sub, you will have to spend slightly above or near RM1k for IDQ, JL W3v2, CDT HD, Peerless XLS or else try sourcing out Adire Shiva if you don't intend to spend much on a sub. Get a 4-channel amplifier, making use of 2-channels for your comp set and another 2-channels bridged for your sub. For a price of slightly over RM2k, there's a long list of amp you can get such as Xetec, Helix, Steg and etc. However, do remember to allocate an extra of RM500-600 for installation and miscellaneous items. Well, try not to rush into making decision else you'll be spending even more changing equipments trying to achieve your SQ goal.

energie

Known Member
Jul 19, 2004
I beg the differ. Everything has got to do with setup & tuning,
Gary Biggs of Team JBL is the current world champion at IASCA Sound Q Ultra Pro 601 + watts : http://www.iasca.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310
He is also the defending world champion for the IASCA International Sound Quality Challenge : http://www.iasca.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293
Alma Gates of Team Gates which is now under Team JBL is MECA's current world champion, best SQ & MECA Master : http://www.jbl.com/car/daytona_spl.asp
You need to remember Team Gates is legendary in the SPL scene when they were wiping out everyone else couple of years back with their Kicker equipped Ford Bronco dubbed
" Beast ".

JBL's nowhere near in the world standings at SPL, matter of fact the loudest vehicle on the planet belongs to Scott Owens of Team Pioneer SPL. They hit a whopping 178.8db at the last Dbdrag & Racing world finals. They have also included Kyle Witherspoon who was the former Team Rockford Fosgate SPL world champion in the Extreme 1-2 class & a former trainer at the Rockford Technical Training Institute (RTTI) to their team. Thinking of writing Pioneer off? Think again.

There is no better products, there's just better installers.

Last edited:

ramsing

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
ExtremeRC said:
Whooa...to be frank, JBL is more SPL oriented. People will often come to you and say, "bah, Sq or not is all up to the tuning", but it is still a known fact that JBL is more popular in the SPL scene. With a budget of RM5-6k, guess you can get quite a decent SQ setup. Infact, you can first make do with a 4-channel amp, a front comp and a 12" sub. Next, save up for a better HU. The workmanship to change a HU will not cost as much as amp and speaker wiring does.

For less than RM2k, you can get an almost good mid-high range comp set such as CDT HD Series, Focal K2P, DLS Reference or Ultimate, Alpine DDLinear, and the list goes on, with some extra. As for sub, you will have to spend slightly above or near RM1k for IDQ, JL W3v2, CDT HD, Peerless XLS or else try sourcing out Adire Shiva if you don't intend to spend much on a sub. Get a 4-channel amplifier, making use of 2-channels for your comp set and another 2-channels bridged for your sub. For a price of slightly over RM2k, there's a long list of amp you can get such as Xetec, Helix, Steg and etc. However, do remember to allocate an extra of RM500-600 for installation and miscellaneous items. Well, try not to rush into making decision else you'll be spending even more changing equipments trying to achieve your SQ goal.
extreme...wow. good info. :) i'm enquiring on behalf of a colleague. he's looking for a decent SQ setup. but he's heard a few ppl's setup, and he find some of the tweeters produce very sharp noise. what type of components should he look for that produces a warm non-sharp type of music.

thanks a bunch.

ExtremeRC

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
Hi ramsing, infact most setup rely really a lot on the tuning and matching of equipments. Focal KP, or the K series (not all, Utopia is marvellous but price ....errr!! =P) are well known for its bright tweeters, and matching it with an amp which have very strong characteristics in the mid-high frequencies may not be suitable. CDT HD on the other hand is a more balanced sounding comp set. Basically, it's really hard to judge a comp set by brand name itself, instead try to widen the search by listening or auditing a few more setups. If budget allows, ermmm let's say RM2k-3k, you can try sourcing out Morel Elate, Dynaudio 240MkII, Focal Utopia, DLS Ultimate/Iridium or other better ones. Just a quick note that each different setups are tuned according to the owners' preference so it may not sound good to others, but may sound great to the owner themselves. Therefore, tuning still matters most at the end of the day.

ramsing

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
i see. so its the pairing of the amp and speakers. would a cheap amp be very different from an expensive one? i've seen some new amps for rm400, and some for rm4000!! other than the brand name, does the sound characteristics differ that much?

based on your exp, which amp-speaker combo would you recommend for my colleague to check out? he wants something which is warm and balanced. meaning if he turns up the volume, it wont be sharp.

thanks again.

resilienthunter

I just want to drive
Sep 7, 2004
JB
Visit site
ExtremeRC said:

Icic..well im not really looking for a pure SQ setup.. some loudness would be good as well.. cos i listen to alot of hip-hop, rnb and rock..
i'll take note of ur recommended list and check them out :D thanks dude. and yep.. i am planning to change my HU too.. any brands to recommend? pioneer?

ExtremeRC

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
Well, I would say yes!! The electronic components used in a cheap amp is definitely different as were to be compared with expensive ones. These components may include capacitors, inductors, and so on which are of different grades. Besides, I do believe that more attention were given to the design and development of these amplifiers, but believe it or not, engineers were employed to design it. Indeed, with better components and circuit design, the sound of the amp would differ, that's the reason why a handful of people are willing to spend so much to get their amps burr-browned.
Well, as for comp-amp matching, you can try out Focal Utopia with Xetec Prestige/Gravity, Dynaudio with TRU 4.100/4.65(Gonna be costly though), but it would be great if you can catch hold of a Morel setup for audition if you're looking for a warm sounding component set.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

TENGKU DJAN LEY WINS ROUND 2 OF D1 GRAND PRIX DRIFT

Report: Amprex Motorsports

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
  • Similar Thread count increased and algorithm updated! See more relevant posts while you browse!