IS 250 Recond Spec?

iamJimmy

Jul 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all Lexus owner,

I need some help for your experience. I'm fairly new here...I'm planning to get a Lexus IS250 recond model. But there are too many specs in the market that making me confused. Hope you guys can share your 2 cents on:

1) does it really matter if it's UK or JP spec? is there any different beside of the speed cut?

2) that's few models that comes with navigation monitor (UK & Jp spec) but my understanding is both wont be able to work with malaysia gps map? Is that correct?

3) If that's true will it be better if I purchase the car with a standard console system without navigation & monitor and then only change it to flyaudio myself in malaysia? Anyone tried this so far or is it even possible to do this?

4) That's one UK model that I really like, the car looks fairly new on exterior and interior, only done 30k mileage, year 2007 model..but when I look at the undercarriage there are all rusty...the salesman say that his workshop will fix it if I buy from them, they said all UK model is like that and ask me not to worry cause his workshop ppl will scrub all the rusty part with sand paper or what? Is he tell the true that it can be done? or is he just plain lying to me? And I'm not a car expert, so I would like to ask what can happen if the rusty part remains?

5) When I saw few Japan specs, the undercarriage was not as rusty as the UK spec! So should means japan specs better?

Would appreciate if anyone can share some comments on my above doubt. Thank you in advance :)

satrianeo-x

Jul 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I like this lexus u looking at too. But I like the IS F version more but it cost a whole lot more haha.

J or UK:
I would personally choose the one from J. They are known to take care of things, I have exp this not in cars only, but also in the way they treat their rented homes here, or anything for that matter. It is a mantra, a way of life for them, not like us, selfish and inconsiderate.

GPS/Player unit:
Take it as it is and remember to snapshot it. Yes the GPS won't work, but u can change to local without having to change the centre console/player/monitor unit. Esp when you are one of those who like em original. For me, it's not my main concern, the engine/chasis is.

KM:
no matter what 'they' tell u, all KM is reset somewhat. It does not matter which recon company u buy it from. It's business u see. But usually the recon models don't give much issues. Better still buy a benz if concern, due to it's bullet proof engine.

Happy hunting!

iamJimmy

Jul 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Not really because any paint shop can do it. Sand off the rust, spray anti rust coat then paint.
I see, so it's fine to get the UK specs if the salesman willing to sand off it and spray anti rust coat for it right? Will it be working like normal after that? cause it's already rusty...just curious

thanks for your reply though :)

mcliong1

Known Member
Jun 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
its ok for few years ahead..... I think u try to survey for Japan Spec if u not really like about the undercarriage rust. Welcome.... good luck in searching the best Lexus....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Best Lexus that we can get in Malaysia Besides the Limited Edition LF-A....is the Lexus IS-F :biggrin:

yupio

Jan 7, 2009
In UK, they use salt on the road during winter hence the rusty undercarriage...not just undercarriage, all suspension links, absorbers, even hood creases are all rusty and worst situation is corroded.

For Jpn, during winter, they treat it with non-salt solution which is friendly to vehicles hence there's no rust on undercarriage or anywhere.

For minor rust, yes, you can treat it and apply anti-rust.....but rust eats into metal...if its been rusty for long, like few years....applying paint and antirust are just really covering up the rust only....once it's there, its there forever.....

Navi version, even though the GPS is not working for MY, there are still other functions such as HDD controls (Jpn version), climate controls, bluetooth controls, etc. Without the navi screen, visibility of the functions are somewhat limited.

If it's my choice, I'd take Jpn model anytime...and hopefully, once all the paperwork is done, I can collect my IS250 in a week or two hehe.

Oh ya, forgot to mention, UK, SG & MY version are all detuned to 205hp & 250Nm due to wanting to cater to RON95 petrol. If you get the Jpn version, its stock 215hp & 260Nm as the Jpn version runs on RON100 back in their country.

For Jpn version, it runs fine on RON95, no problem but if you really wanna tap the powarrr, you'll need to pump RON97 and if possible, add in Octane Booster...then you'll feel the difference. :)

As for the speed cut of 180km/h, just install Pivot's Speed Meter V which is around RM280~300 and it will disable the speed cut. It will also give you the speed reading beyond 180km/h (your console meter only has till 180km/h).

Correct me if I am wrong guys coz I am just sharing my research...haven't even own one yet...I m being honest :)

Last edited:

iamJimmy

Jul 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
In UK, they use salt on the road during winter hence the rusty undercarriage...not just undercarriage, all suspension links, absorbers, even hood creases are all rusty and worst situation is corroded.

For Jpn, during winter, they treat it with non-salt solution which is friendly to vehicles hence there's no rust on undercarriage or anywhere.

For minor rust, yes, you can treat it and apply anti-rust.....but rust eats into metal...if its been rusty for long, like few years....applying paint and antirust are just really covering up the rust only....once it's there, its there forever.....

Navi version, even though the GPS is not working for MY, there are still other functions such as HDD controls (Jpn version), climate controls, bluetooth controls, etc. Without the navi screen, visibility of the functions are somewhat limited.

If it's my choice, I'd take Jpn model anytime...and hopefully, once all the paperwork is done, I can collect my IS250 in a week or two hehe.

Oh ya, forgot to mention, UK, SG & MY version are all detuned to 205hp & 250Nm due to wanting to cater to RON95 petrol. If you get the Jpn version, its stock 215hp & 260Nm as the Jpn version runs on RON100 back in their country.

For Jpn version, it runs fine on RON95, no problem but if you really wanna tap the powarrr, you'll need to pump RON97 and if possible, add in Octane Booster...then you'll feel the difference. :)

As for the speed cut of 180km/h, just install Pivot's Speed Meter V which is around RM280~300 and it will disable the speed cut. It will also give you the speed reading beyond 180km/h (your console meter only has till 180km/h).

Correct me if I am wrong guys coz I am just sharing my research...haven't even own one yet...I m being honest :)
Thanks for sharing your research...sounds like Japan specs is the way to go :)
But i'm still holding back due to the navigation console...I wont be able to understand a single words from it cause i dont read any japanese..lolx

yupio

Jan 7, 2009
Well, don't be afraid of the Japs.......its not like the car is telling u a long story or asking u to read a long essay in Japs....

Most of the controls in the navi console do have icons which is rather straight forward.....also, the controls are just a few clicks here and there....it is no complicated at all and in no time, you will be familiar with it. I don't read nor understand Japanese but during my test drive, I am able to figure out quite a number of features n stuffs from the navi console as well as from the multi information display where we play with the 'satellite switch' right below the instrument light control button.

And if you're not convinced, we have this friendly ppl in the club who is ever willing to help I am sure to get u familiar with the controls.

Well it's entirely up to individuals....for me, I hate to look at mph dials & mileage.....lazy to convert them in my mind when I see the ODO / TRIP meter.

Last edited:

iamJimmy

Jul 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Well, don't be afraid of the Japs.......its not like the car is telling u a long story or asking u to read a long essay in Japs....

Most of the controls in the navi console do have icons which is rather straight forward.....also, the controls are just a few clicks here and there....it is no complicated at all and in no time, you will be familiar with it. I don't read nor understand Japanese but during my test drive, I am able to figure out quite a number of features n stuffs from the navi console as well as from the multi information display where we play with the 'satellite switch' right below the instrument light control button.

And if you're not convinced, we have this friendly ppl in the club who is ever willing to help I am sure to get u familiar with the controls.

Well it's entirely up to individuals....for me, I hate to look at mph dials & mileage.....lazy to convert them in my mind when I see the ODO / TRIP meter.
well said! thanks a lot... does anyone familiar or trusted with any carshow room that I can go have a look at lexus, the showroom that I went to last week has already sold the car that I wanted :(

Preferably KL or PJ area :)

yupio

Jan 7, 2009
well said! thanks a lot... does anyone familiar or trusted with any carshow room that I can go have a look at lexus, the showroom that I went to last week has already sold the car that I wanted :(

Preferably KL or PJ area :)
Just walk into the Naza showroom, I am sure they have some IS250 or even IS F that you can try on. Their stocks are rather shocking once you see their stock list (their sales advisor refers to them).

If you're in the northern region, Naza here will be having around 5 units of IS250 incoming just arrived at port from Japan. And I can intro you to the top sales advisor here which would give u at least some 'advantage' compared to the other SA :proud:

I have been comparing a lot during my search for imports. My last 2 rides are also from Naza...I can say that due to their huge stockpile, you get more choices when it comes to the spec you wanted, the colour you wanted, the condition you wanted as well as the year make u wanted and lastly but most importantly, the price you wanted. Naza price can be the cheapest at times u know. And now they are having this Naza Carnival Fair......

And NO, I am no Naza Salesman.....

iamJimmy

Jul 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Just walk into the Naza showroom, I am sure they have some IS250 or even IS F that you can try on. Their stocks are rather shocking once you see their stock list (their sales advisor refers to them).

If you're in the northern region, Naza here will be having around 5 units of IS250 incoming just arrived at port from Japan. And I can intro you to the top sales advisor here which would give u at least some 'advantage' compared to the other SA :proud:

I have been comparing a lot during my search for imports. My last 2 rides are also from Naza...I can say that due to their huge stockpile, you get more choices when it comes to the spec you wanted, the colour you wanted, the condition you wanted as well as the year make u wanted and lastly but most importantly, the price you wanted. Naza price can be the cheapest at times u know. And now they are having this Naza Carnival Fair......

And NO, I am no Naza Salesman.....
hahahaha thanks for the heads up...will go Naza tomorrow to check it out...

yupio

Jan 7, 2009
hahahaha thanks for the heads up...will go Naza tomorrow to check it out...
no worries, glad to help....

seems there's only 2 of us here, what heppened to the rest lol.

Anyway just to be sure you are aware, you can join in the MY Lexus Club Facebook page. Might be more active. Link Daftar Masuk | Facebook

ed78

Known Member
Jan 5, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
no worries, glad to help....

seems there's only 2 of us here, what heppened to the rest lol.

Anyway just to be sure you are aware, you can join in the MY Lexus Club Facebook page. Might be more active. Link Daftar Masuk | Facebook
i'm here. i'm here ;)

hehehehhe.

most important is that you find what you like. worry about tthe rest later on. GPS - yes it's cool to have it built in. but then again getting lost in the lexus is alwasy more fun ;)

We have quite a number of members in the group which you can check out their rides during TT session. but i think now it's a bad time to organize one as everybody is so busy...........

yupio

Jan 7, 2009
i'm here. i'm here ;)

hehehehhe.

most important is that you find what you like. worry about tthe rest later on. GPS - yes it's cool to have it built in. but then again getting lost in the lexus is alwasy more fun ;)

We have quite a number of members in the group which you can check out their rides during TT session. but i think now it's a bad time to organize one as everybody is so busy...........
Hey Ed, its good to see your reply here...on the TT session well, I guess my chance to participate would be little as I stay up north. Will try to hook up with a few members up north later on after getting my Lexi....

Nonetheless, will still communicate via forum & FB. I m sure I will need all the tips n guide from fellow members here...

iamJimmy

Jul 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
i'm here. i'm here ;)

hehehehhe.

true that..but its hard to find a good condition recond car now days...anyway thanks for your reply and hopefully i can find my lexus soon and join u guys for TT in the near future :)

Progressive

Known Member
Dec 11, 2003
Hi Jimmy, here is some info to share with you

1) does it really matter if it's UK or JP spec? is there any different beside of the speed cut?

Is basically the same engine...just running on different fuel grades. 95 vs 98

2) that's few models that comes with navigation monitor (UK & Jp spec) but my understanding is both wont be able to work with malaysia gps map? Is that correct?

Lexus Msia do have the DVD maps for Malaysia...but the sad thing is..they wont sell it to recon car owners. Only Lexus Malaysia distributed car owners are entitled. By the way ,this option of 'luxury package' which includes Navi system and Mark Levinson 13 surround speaker system cost RM23k form Lexus Malaysia.

The only way to resolve this is to hope there are some generous LM owners out there willing to burn a DVD map for us.... we could just pay some fee for it as a deal... maybe we shall meet up with some CT200H owners with ' Luxury Package', since there are not many IS from LM.

Check out the pic below...its a IS with Malaysia Map

3) If that's true will it be better if I purchase the car with a standard console system without navigation & monitor and then only change it to flyaudio myself in malaysia? Anyone tried this so far or is it even possible to do this?

I would recommend to go for the highest spec possible. The one with Touch-Screen Navi at least so you you could watch DVD while driving :).

The Mark Levinson 13 speaker surround system is fantastic. Especially the center speaker system. A must if you are a audiophile , it has a built in Digital Processor in the amp which uses Fibre Optic Cables ( Digital Out ) instead of the conventional RCA cooper cables. It have both Digital Theater System (DTS) and Dolby Surround feature ... trust me..you be amaze when u watch action movies with it. (i.e Transformers) . The surround was so surreal till i had goosebumps while watching the Autobots transforming ...imagine that.. just with 300watts RMS..!

The Front Staging effect is amazing..Listening to jazz instruments just made so real...as tho the band is performing right infront of you.

4) That's one UK model that I really like, the car looks fairly new on exterior and interior, only done 30k mileage, year 2007 model..but when I look at the undercarriage there are all rusty...the salesman say that his workshop will fix it if I buy from them, they said all UK model is like that and ask me not to worry cause his workshop ppl will scrub all the rusty part with sand paper or what? Is he tell the true that it can be done? or is he just plain lying to me? And I'm not a car expert, so I would like to ask what can happen if the rusty part remains?

My UK spec undercarriage had rust too...but its consider mild ...I always thought it was serious....however there some even worst than my condition after a few feedbacks from the mechanics of Vision Auto. My dealer did a undercarriage anti rust paint upon delivery. My exhaust pipes had the worst rust , starting from the Cat. Converter till the entry of Muffler box. I am mystified , as exhaust pipes are normally made of stainless steel...how could it rust ?

My brake rotor was rusted too , nothing major just doesn't look good aesthetically . Will change it together with the pads when it wears out.

My rust was mainly on exhaust pipes, rear diff box and brake disc...but all these was covered with thick black anti rust paint and still staying strong after a year if usage.

Dont worry too much about the rust.. as long rust doesnt appear on the chasis and engine compartment like drive pulleys , alternator and other moving parts you be fine.

I would say 99.999% of the recon cars in Malaysia had thier Odometer tempered with. 30k miles or 50k km for a 5 years. Thats about 10k km usage per year. Highly impossible for UK drivers. Those Brits loves to drive interstate for work and holiday ( I was working in UK for 2 years). Unless its a Jap import , where they rarely drive and take tubes/mrt or even cycle to work.

My IS came with a 25k miles showing at the Odometer... i never believe it... just by judging at the wear on the brake pedals...it definitely had more than 25k miles on it.

5) When I saw few Japan specs, the undercarriage was not as rusty as the UK spec! So should means japan specs better?

Always request for a test drive ...test at various condition if possible driving fast/slow and even/uneven roads and observe the car condition like dashboard rattles ,engine vibration , noise from the suspension/ball joints , clunking from gearbox/rear diff. Dont choose based on exterior or undercarriage ... I been thru more than 5 different test drives and visted about 8 showroom before choosing my 'wife'. After a few test drives , you can immediately know which car is the one.

Be patient... dont rush into..just ignore those words from SA if they say...Lexus IS is in hot demand now la...better grab it quick before the customer walk in yesterday get it...you can pay deposit first la....bla bla bla....dont worry.. the dealer will always be happy to import in more to cater for high market demand. So they could sell more.

One point to note... be extra cautious UK Spec IS with Pearl White colour... mostly had been resprayed from its less popular Ori colour (i.e Light Blue, Beige ). Most Pearl White are in Jpn Spec but not UK Spec. Check for car manufacturer stickers beside the door, normally resprayed cars had them removed or visible respray paint on it.

Enjoy the hunting process - just make it as thou you on a treasure hunt adventure , hunting for the best treasure around town... and hope you could join into the club asap.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We all know what the new Lancia Stratos has to live up to and we’ve all seen the shots but deep down inside you just had to see it whipped around a track before you can actually sleep well at night and now there’s a short video roll of the car going around a track.

The video itself is narrated by Michael Stoschek, albeit in German, the German...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience