Intercooler for Cefiro Gearbox

nlexis

Known Member
Aug 12, 2005
Klang
Hi guys, any comment on installing Intercooler for gearbox...plan to do it..the cost is less than RM800 incld installation and a unit of intercooler...Heard it helps the gearbox quite abit

vk9

Known Member
Jun 12, 2005
Sabah
where is the cooler??

Doink

3,000 RPM
Aug 1, 2004
House
Visit site
bro i think u meant oil cooler for the transmission oil is it...intercooler is for cooling the air coming from turbo towards the intake...

dream.tent

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
KL
www.cardomain.com
ya...some oil cooler stick behind the radiator that cools the transmission oil. Some also integrated with the radiator....top for water below for oil..

One thing for sure, intercooler is for cooling compressed air.

MafiaRide

Jun 26, 2006
Maybe what he meant was really an intercooler for the tranny which can go pssshh whenever it changes gear. Pun intended and no offence.

The tranny cooler is located in front of the radiator. Pop the hood and look at the gap between your bumper and radiator. It should be small, has "fins" and looks metallic. Also should be on your left side if facing the front of your car. Hope this helps.

MafiaRide

Jun 26, 2006
Also, tts possible to replace the small tranny cooler with a larger one. The saying goes that for every 10 degrees Celsius drop in tranny temp, your tranny's lifespan increases by 20%. Bear in mind there is a point of diminishing returns. Don't slam in a cooler as big as the radiator and think your tranny can now last forever.

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
MafiaRide said:
Maybe what he meant was really an intercooler for the tranny which can go pssshh whenever it changes gear. Pun intended and no offence.

The tranny cooler is located in front of the radiator. Pop the hood and look at the gap between your bumper and radiator. It should be small, has "fins" and looks metallic. Also should be on your left side if facing the front of your car. Hope this helps.
mafia bro...even with intercooler for gearbox, there wont be pppppphhhhhhhsssssshhhhh sound le...:rofl:

skyther

Jul 19, 2006
Perth, WA
MafiaRide said:

BWHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH ROFLMAO!!!11!!!!one!! DUDE WTF ARE YOU SMOKING????!!

THATS YOUR AIR CONDITIONER CONDENSER YOU NOOB LOLTASTIC ROFLCOPTER.

skyther

Jul 19, 2006
Perth, WA
skyther said:

BWHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH ROFLMAO!!!11!!!!one!! DUDE WTF ARE YOU SMOKING????!!

(PS. mods, sorry I just had to :D)

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
skyther said:

:rofl:
bro skyther, i know he got it wrong but dont be too harsh on him...

skyther

Jul 19, 2006
Perth, WA
Hrm.. browser glitch :(

Meh, sorry yeah don't take it to heart guys :P

I don't think stock ceffys (even 20DET ones) come with tranny coolers, anyhow you don't need them on manual boxes unless your car sees a lot of track time. Tranny coolers usually aren't mounted in front of the radiator, especially not in forced induced applications, because FMIC -> tranny cooler -> condenser -> radiator = fuked airflow. Best place for them to be mounted would be behind the air dams, tranny cooler on one side oil cooler on the other. Just don't give the gearbox unnecessary torque or do 5k launches and it'll live. :P

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
bro skyther...thats much better. :biggrin:
anyway, another option to place the tranny cooler would be on the front left or right side of ur bumper, but of course there must be a hole so air go through...

A329878

Known Member
Sep 24, 2005
JOHOR BAHRU

nlexis said:
Hi guys, any comment on installing Intercooler for gearbox...plan to do it..the cost is less than RM800 incld installation and a unit of intercooler...Heard it helps the gearbox quite abit

U mean this one ?
i had one in my room cos i have not time to install it :sad_smile:
U can get it less that RM450.

Last edited:

vk9

Known Member
Jun 12, 2005
Sabah
in conclusion, cefiro did not come with oil cooler for gearbox... am i right?

nlexis

Known Member
Aug 12, 2005
Klang
well, cefiro gearbox is quite ok, just that adding in the intercooler for the gearbox helps to cool the gear oil, prolong gear oil changes and reduces the wear and tear..that's about it, i guess..this was advised to me by my friend who is a mechanic and owns a cefiro

MafiaRide

Jun 26, 2006
If that's the case, I will need to go teardown the mech shops I've asked and also hack into the webpages of the websites I've looked up and remove the false info and end up in jail for hacking. Rather than calling names, just point out the mistake as I'm really a mechanic by profession and I say what my mech tells me. Isn't that what this forum is all about, knowledge sharing. For all you know, the previous owner of the car already put in a tranny cooler in mine, hence I assumed it is stock. Finally moderator, please do not allow little kids to join forums as they misuse their "privilege".

As for the psshhh sound, it was just a joke as someone called it an intercooler and just put in a bof you get that sound. Didn't I mention it was "pun intended" or you didn't know that "pun" is another work for joke intended and not to be taken seriously :-)

What is this world coming too nowadays