Honda Type-R wat d difference??

drewn123

Known Member
hi....i'm new here. :cool: So i wanna ask sumthing from the Honda driving sifus out there......... I knew there are honda civic EK type-R (3 doors and 4 doors)

1. wat ar the difference between d type-R and stock EK?? My pals said a EK type-R (3 Doors) are capable of smoking GSR (wira converted to 1.8GSR Turbo)...ignoring the driver's skills and traffic, is tat true??

2. I heard bout VTEC controller unit, stock EK dun have rite??? So does typr-R got the VTECH controller :questionm

2. according to d market price..... the pricing is usually 10k higher than stock 3 doors EK.... so i would like to know whether it is wiser/economical to buy stock EK (3 doors) and convert it's engine... it's B18C rite??? OR juz settle for EK type-R.

Thanks all

i'm no expert, but this is what i know....

The civic Type-R (Sticking to EK's) lets not mention the EP3
Basics: -
Body code : EK9
Engine Code : B16B
Only comes in 3 drs form
Don't use "VTECH" its strictly "VTEC" :biggrin:
Engine: -
Its hand made
Bigger Throttle Body
Bigger Intake Manifold
Dual Valve Springs
Head is ported and polished as standard
Cams profile is the best of the b-series (mid range is better than JUN and Toda)
Piston is moleb-denum coated
Exhaust manifold also different
Block has longer stroke
Chassis: -
Suspension is slightly lower by a couple of mm
Spring rates are revised
Comes with Anti roll bars and struts
Brakes are 5 knuckle lugs
Interior: -
Red Recaros, and door trim
Momo steering wheel with airbag
Type-R Meters
Titanium gear knob
Other info: -
Yes it can smoke a GSR
Prices for the parts are ridiculuosly priced
Items are rather rare
You're one lucky devil if you can find an ORI EK9
Yes ur paying abit more for ones that have been done up, but all in all u save a bit in comparison to doing a full conversion urself, plus if you don't have the patience, the goodies mentioned are not actually easy to find...

anything i got wrong or missed guys?? i'm sure there are...

sorry bout d VTECH....(type wrongly) wow..... tat's a vast information u had. thx.........

and i thought EK9 type-R is 1.8 litres...... guess i'm wrong there.

So if i wanna look for halfcut.... the engine code is B16B, does it mean tat i'll get the goodies of a type-R civic??? (disc brake, dashboard, etc)

Have A Honda and babes will follow....

Honda EX5 kenot laa..hehehehehe

TYPE R got red emblem.. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

basically.gif

definitely there's no Type R 4 door. :D

Honda Civic EK 3 door = model code SO3
Honda Civic EK 4 door = model code SO4

to know model code look at the front headlamp support.
chassis will start either EJ or EK.
whether its EK2, or EK3 or EK9 will determine its engine.

to minivan, ur reply very informative, thanx...

zan said:
definitely there's no Type R 4 door. :D

Honda Civic EK 3 door = model code SO3
Honda Civic EK 4 door = model code SO4

to know model code look at the front headlamp support.
chassis will start either EJ or EK.
whether its EK2, or EK3 or EK9 will determine its engine.

to minivan, ur reply very informative, thanx...

looks like i've tricked by Type-R wannabes tat uses EK 4 doors with Type-R emblem at the back and transplanted EK... :biggrin:

thteh86 said:
b16b can produce up to 184hp....

:rock: after modification to exhaust/piping/air filter/cam/etc OR stock B16B???

How bout B16A and B16C???? :albertein

minivan said:
bro, theres no B16C lahh...

heres a link on honda engine codes...

http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/html.php?file=engineinfo.html&title=Engine+Info

Good info there bro. But I have been trying to find out which car comes with a B18C4. As this is the engine quoted as the best in B series by mr Spoon himself. Any Idea???

BTW.The B16 B stroke is the same with B16 A. Only the deck hight is different as it is to obtain a higher rod to stroke ratio.The con-rod is longer but the stroke is the same. Cheers.

rizal_eg9 said:
Good info there bro. But I have been trying to find out which car comes with a B18C4. As this is the engine quoted as the best in B series by mr Spoon himself. Any Idea???

BTW.The B16 B stroke is the same with B16 A. Only the deck hight is different as it is to obtain a higher rod to stroke ratio.The con-rod is longer but the stroke is the same. Cheers.

Thanx rizal for the clarification.

b18c4... never come across this one ... i know theres a b18c, b18c1/3/5 and also 6/7

the B18c6/7 i found here....

http://www.superhonda.com/tech/honda_engine_codes.html

Last edited:
drewn123 said:
:rock: after modification to exhaust/piping/air filter/cam/etc OR stock B16B???

How bout B16A and B16C???? :albertein
stock...believe it or not....up to u, i myself find it hard to believe

:albertein

v-tec B16B & B18C type-R red top......
both bLock are the same height, just the inner stuffs such as crank shaft, cams , vaLve springs and aLot more diff stuffs inside...

B18C instaLL in EG-6 bodY.... pehhhhh........

u never knows..... :dancing2: :dancing2: :dancing2:

kRiminaLz said:
hmmm...
yeah rite :turtle: .... the same old story...
so guys, we better sell off our turbo's... lets buy a VTEC... we r not fast enuff.. hehehehe:bath:

haha....dun say like tat. both turbos and Vtec hav their own pros and cons :dancing2:

I driven my frenz turbo once, frankly speaking. I prefer VTEC more than turbos due to easier to drive in the city.... it's juz my preference, i'm not anti turbos or watsoeva

if got moolah, mayb juz combine them two and make it Turbo VTEC................hahahahahaha

Last edited:
minivan said:
i'm no expert, but this is what i know....

The civic Type-R (Sticking to EK's) lets not mention the EP3
Basics: -
Body code : EK9
Engine Code : B16B
Only comes in 3 drs form
Don't use "VTECH" its strictly "VTEC" :biggrin:
Engine: -
Its hand made
Bigger Throttle Body
Bigger Intake Manifold
Dual Valve Springs
Head is ported and polished as standard
Cams profile is the best of the b-series (mid range is better than JUN and Toda)
Piston is moleb-denum coated
Exhaust manifold also different
Block has longer stroke
Chassis: -
Suspension is slightly lower by a couple of mm
Spring rates are revised
Comes with Anti roll bars and struts
Brakes are 5 knuckle lugs
Interior: -
Red Recaros, and door trim
Momo steering wheel with airbag
Type-R Meters
Titanium gear knob
Other info: -
Yes it can smoke a GSR
Prices for the parts are ridiculuosly priced
Items are rather rare
You're one lucky devil if you can find an ORI EK9
Yes ur paying abit more for ones that have been done up, but all in all u save a bit in comparison to doing a full conversion urself, plus if you don't have the patience, the goodies mentioned are not actually easy to find...

anything i got wrong or missed guys?? i'm sure there are...

hmmm...
yeah rite :turtle: .... the same old story...
so guys, we better sell off our turbo's... lets buy a VTEC... we r not fast enuff.. hehehehe:bath:

drewn123 said:
haha....dun say like tat. both turbos and Vtec hav their own pros and cons :dancing2:

I driven my frenz turbo once, frankly speaking. I prefer VTEC more than turbos due to easier to drive in the city :rock:

HEHEHEHE.... juz joking bro...
i deleted it coz took the wrong quote... now, its the rite one... look above... hehehe:biggrin:

thats what i did.... sold my turbo (satria gsr) and buy VTEC... :biggrin:

no lah bro, chill.... I love turbos for the sudden G and the BOV sound and the gadgets it has (boost meter, boost controller)... super fun to play around with...

power... i would say its at par if not better. But i never once underestimated the power of a VTEC when i owned the GSR. A lot of turbo owners do. And when they do get smoked, they are in denial.... "ohh, my clucth slip laa..." :biggrin:

reason i sold of my GSR was it was too heavy on my wallet. 1 time crank walk and had to change entire block . Another was blown water hoses causing my gasket burn and had to overhaul (while chasing a VTEC friend, i might add!! no kidding!!) And i was constantly afraid of driving it as i had my eyes glued to the temperature gauge :biggrin:

my VTEC so far (dunno laa, maybe lucky) hentam 4 trackdays oledi still ok.... service only...

hehehe...
i cant deny it, vtec got the agility...:smile:

but with proper tuning, it can make wonders to a turbo.. vtec turbo? hehehe...

but drewn,
dont compare a turbo with an n/a...
they got their own characteristics...

Top Bottom