Grid Driving Vs Drift Driving - The Fastest and The Safest Driving Technic

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

pocong

Known Member
Oct 3, 2008
I saw in Best Motoring video they have a group of drifters and drivers were given task to beat this one old man on track. The old man drove very cooly less dramatic and yet posted the fastest lap time among them. The drifters drove very dramatically and yet posted poor lap time. In fact, the group of drifters were struggled to even matched that old man. Could not recall which video was that but very2 enlightening.

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
bro, typo ler.... should be grip driving :wavey:

pocong

Known Member
Oct 3, 2008
Alamak... ye la. Too much using Microsoft Excell la. Yes, it is GRIP DRIVING.

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
The old man is Gan-san?

na_power

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2004
I forgot from which article, they said drift been created in togue battle by people who lose know that they can't win the battle. No offense to drifters, thats what i read. It said, in togue battle the losing car when they know they have no chance to win or try to overtake the front car, they will
(drifting) and playing around with sliding tricks behind the winning car. By doing that, they able to win the crowd heart even though they losing it. The point is, drifting is not the best way to win a race. For me its more for entertainment and fun than time.

Last edited:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I don't think drifting is created by losers lah. Drifting was not created at touge.

Picked from wikipedia:

Modern drifting started out as a racing technique popular in the All Japan Touring Car Championship races over 30 years ago. Motorcycling legend turned driver, Kunimitsu Takahashi, was the foremost creator of drifting techniques in the 1970s. He was famous for hitting the apex (the point where the car is closest to the inside of a turn) at high speed and then drifting through the corner, preserving a high exit speed. This earned him several championships and a legion of fans who enjoyed the spectacle of burning tires. The bias ply racing tires of the 1960s-1980s lent themselves to driving styles with a high slip angle. As professional racers in Japan drove this way, so did the street racers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_(motorsport)

Last edited:

na_power

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2004
Maybe the article that I read was a bias source, maybe the one who wrote it hate drifting. The source I already forgot, but its during Initial-D series, in my secondary school time. At that time, I don't really know about the drifting, "I think" I read it from magazine, not local magazine, think so, can't really remember. But I think wikipedia more accurate than the article, because the a lot of wikipedia reader and they able to correct it if it's not true.

Last edited:

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
:driver:of course drifting is not the fastest way. it is because u purposely waste time letting the wheels slip, then catching up with the slip, then controlling the slip to go round corners. in grip driving, no chance for the wheels to slip, instant traction all the time. there's no comparison in that bro

Dr.D

500 RPM
Aug 28, 2005
Petaling Jaya
of course drifting is not the fastest way around a course.. but it helps prevent understeer at high speed. so but oversteering and being under control, u can still maintain the speed. better than understeer and crash into the barrier..

EGNINE

500 RPM
Jan 8, 2006
if u watch initial D fr stage 1 to 4 u will get the answer which one is better and faster...

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
There is no contest.

If you want to go fast, its grip.
If you want to have fun, its drift.

Drift almost always loses to grip. Notice F1, the fastest motorsport. Notice the JGTC. Do you see any drift there? Except for traction corrections, grip is the rule.

Last edited:

pocong

Known Member
Oct 3, 2008
Bro pocong, please please recall back which episode of that Best Motoring video. Must be very fun to watch! Who's that old man?
Gan-San. I watched in You Tube but no longer in there. I love Best Motoring bt subtitle in Mandarin la. Why diff to find with English sub huh?

luqae

Known Member
Dec 4, 2008
if ur saying about track driving definitely grip will win,cuz drifting is just a waste of tyres and also precious few sec y do u want go sideway when u can go straight??the fastest way around a corner is to get the straightest route possible and minimize steering angle.and it's also depends on the car.

but its a diff story if ur saying about normal road condition exe rally or touge,cuz for me its a combination of both grip and also sliding the car..look at those rally tarmac video and also touge video. u will definitely find the answer..

owh an Dr.D just to correct u drifting is understeer.

farizio

Known Member
Nov 26, 2007
KL
its oversteer
haha this argument again, technically you are understeering in a drift, steering is on the opposite lock but you're turning the other direction... but who cares as long as you're sideways? thats all you drift heads are all about right?

grip driving is not ALWAYS the fastest way, some corners (particularly touge tracks where its usually down hill) drifting around a corner can be faster eg; downhill hairpin (like the ones you always see in inital D and what not)

having said that, grip driving USUALLY gets you the fastest times.

sekian.

flabby

Known Member
May 8, 2009
reminds me of the s2000 (god of hand) vs takumi ...grip vs drift hahah

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
I forgot from which article, they said drift been created in togue battle by people who lose know that they can't win the battle. No offense to drifters, thats what i read. It said, in togue battle the losing car when they know they have no chance to win or try to overtake the front car, they will
(drifting) and playing around with sliding tricks behind the winning car. By doing that, they able to win the crowd heart even though they losing it. The point is, drifting is not the best way to win a race. For me its more for entertainment and fun than time.
you mean all those D1GP competitors who initiate their drift at an average of 200kmh (yes, they are going sideways at 200kmh) and drift through 3 corners are losers? wat article you read la? :stupid::stupid::stupid::hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:

i didn't know that taniguchi, orido, kazama, kawabata, kumakubo dan lain lain are labeled as losers. so sad...

Last edited:

luqae

Known Member
Dec 4, 2008
that what most common ppl will say.

go back and study those drift video.

owh and farizio ur right.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Ever wonder when you will really get your ass screwed by the most unsuspecting person?

A greedy uncle who help tow my car to the nearest shop gave me just that, a damn RM500 BILL!!! EPIC RAGE on my part when i saw that number.

This is a damn crime against a person who only need a small favour, and i would gladly pay the fee of the proper RM150 cost!!! Damn im pissed, isn't there any other way i can settle this?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience