Fact on compatibility of brake pad A32 & A33

doraemon98

Known Member
Feb 3, 2010
Penang
I bought a set of original Japan Hitachi make front brake pad for my A33 a week ago in KL. The spare part shop only stock A32 front brake pad and he confirm its is compatible for A33.

Bought back Taiping and my mechanic say they were different. After asking around and some say yes and some say not compatible. I even call 2 branches of Tan Chong spare part. And 1 say yes and 1 say no. Prices are same, but who to believe?

So today early morning... went to mechanic and dismantle the brake pad to check it out myself.

TENG TENG TENG TENGGGG!!!!

The brake pads are compatible and can fit into the caliper. BUT... you will have to sacrifice 1 feature. For some people, this feature is unnecessary.

Let me show you the overview of the A33 original setup.

When the brake pad attached to the caliper, notice that there is a spring pull against the pad via safety pin. My opinion is these spring is holding back the brake pad to prevent the brake pad keep sticking on the disc after the brake is being release. Reduce the fiction and reduce heat being generated while the wheel spinning. My reason may be wrong, but I couldn't think why it design that way.

The safety pin function is when your pad is about to finished, the pin will scratch at the edge of the brake disc. Hence create a unpleasant noise. Notifying you its time to get it replaced.

All 4 piece of A33 brake pad has safety pins. But there is only 1 piece has this safety pin for A32.

Ok now lets see how A32 brake pads fits into A33.

Notice the safety pin position. Actually this piece can install at the left wheel outer side. But the spring of other 3 side will be pointing outwards. It post a danger to mechanic that is unaware of it when next time you remove the wheel to repair that area. Because all other 3 piece of new brake pads do not have safety pins.

There are few ways to modify it.

1) bend the spring away. But next time if you were to replace back the A33 type brake pad, you are unable to enjoy that feature.
2) take the safety pin out from old brake pads. Then install them into the new brake pad. Make sure you install it correctly.
3) replace the spring plate with A32 ones. I cannot confirm it would fit into the A33 pad holder because I cannot find 1 to try out. Then keep the A33 one for future.

Cheers!

Attachments

Last edited:

XTEC

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2007
well done, keep it the good work. this are the info sometime we do need.

btw are from penang??

Benck

Dec 28, 2006
Welldone brother! very detail,and clear photo which help us alot!
I think read your post before,in other forum. May I know the address of the parts shop in SeaPark who selling Akebono pads for A33?
Thanks alot!:biggrin:

doraemon98

Known Member
Feb 3, 2010
Penang
May I know the address of the parts shop in SeaPark who selling Akebono pads for A33?
Sure bro... do post your findings on the Akebono. If the performance is par with original Hitachi, then we can consider of the alternative in the future.

RM175 Akebono ~ Phone quote
Kam Meng Auto Suppliers &Trading Co
03-7875 7998
No 25 Jalan 21/1, S.E.A. Park, Petaling Jaya

Last edited:

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
the single port is interchangeable not sure the a33 3L are same as the a32 3L, never have a chance to compare.

Benck

Dec 28, 2006
Roger that. Would go and get the pad next week,I'm busy in this week after CNY.
Do you bedding-in your brake?Or the new brake pad already have good grip after few times of braking?
How many KM you had travel with this new pads? Do they still left alot black/choco colour of brake dust on your wheels?
My pads on Cefiro give minimal dust:proud:,but another Honda give alot dark choco colour brake dust.
FYI some EBC pads user have alot of brake dust when new first 1500KM,dust reduced alot after that.

doraemon98

Known Member
Feb 3, 2010
Penang
Roger that. Would go and get the pad next week,I'm busy in this week after CNY.
Do you bedding-in your brake?Or the new brake pad already have good grip after few times of braking?
How many KM you had travel with this new pads? Do they still left alot black/choco colour of brake dust on your wheels?
My pads on Cefiro give minimal dust:proud:,but another Honda give alot dark choco colour brake dust.
FYI some EBC pads user have alot of brake dust when new first 1500KM,dust reduced alot after that.
I havent get the brake pad installed yet. I sent back to PH auto to exchange with A33 ones last saturday. He will send to me tomorrow. By this weekend should be delivered. Have to top up another RM20 for that A33 ones. Some more have to pay courier charges for him to send back. :banghead:

Mine still original ones, now clocked at 130kkm liao...

seizai

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
I havent get the brake pad installed yet. I sent back to PH auto to exchange with A33 ones last saturday. He will send to me tomorrow. By this weekend should be delivered. Have to top up another RM20 for that A33 ones. Some more have to pay courier charges for him to send back. :banghead:

Mine still original ones, now clocked at 130kkm liao...
i thought u said is a33 same with a32??

Benck

Dec 28, 2006
Can you do me a favour brother?
If you go SEA park,can you please check the Akebono brake pad have the same safety pin attached as same as A33 original pad?
FYI I'm not from KL,real hard for me to check myself at there.:rolleyes:

doraemon98

Known Member
Feb 3, 2010
Penang
seizai said:
i thought u said is a33 same with a32??
Well bro... i mentioned in the post above. Its compatible between A33 and A32. But if install A32 brake pad into A33, will have to sacrifice a feature, which the brake pad is unable to spring away from the disc. Sorry I didnt mention its not the same. hehehe...

Benck said:
If you go SEA park,can you please check the Akebono brake pad have the same safety pin attached as same as A33 original pad?
FYI I'm not from KL,real hard for me to check myself at there.
I am in Penang and I courier it to PH Auto for the exchange. So unable to check this. Very simple, if all brake pads has a safety pin, its A33. Else if only 1 pad has safety pin... thats for A32.

seizai said:
sea park which shop? many there...
Bro seizai can help?
RM175 Akebono ~ Phone quote
Kam Meng Auto Suppliers &Trading Co
03-7875 7998
No 25 Jalan 21/1, S.E.A. Park, Petaling Jaya

Benck

Dec 28, 2006
I see,that means you bought it by bank in to PH auto and they post to you?
That is great! They send you the photo also?

Bro seizai can you help us go and snap pictures for the Akebono brake pad Cefiro A33 2000cc?(year 2000). Post it on here and let us know whether it is the same safety pin as what bro doraemon98's original A33 brake pad.
Thank you.

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
btw, that one is not safety pin, is a indicator to tell the driver time to change pad. you will hear the squezz sound when the pad are low.

I find it useless cause the car interior seal the external sound pretty good.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i just installed quickshift gear lever into my iswara, and i think the pros are:
1. shorter shift length
2. firm shifting
3. no big clearance between gears

cons:
1. use more energy to shift
2. shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear and 4th to 5th gear a bit difficult since we have to find the correct line before shifting. (compared to standard gear lever where when u free up the gear it will automatically centered itself)

what u guys think?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience