engine conversions - worth it ??

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Dec 16, 2005
it seems that engine conversions almost always come with problems... it doesnt mean if u install a new engine... you're ready and can zip around.. there're bound to be problems.. are these problems really worth it ?? i drive a new saga lmtd edition 1.3.. new jpj regulations only lets me to convert to 1.6 max.. that means im looking at mivec turbo's n stuff.. old engine's.. all ya'll over here.. is it really worth changing my engine.. or should i just soup my current engine and save the cash for a real car.. im just looking for a decent pickup.. good sub 6 second 0-100 time.. can my engine manage that and how many hp's can i extract from my current engine.. update me guys.. im a freaking newbie that knows jack nutz about all this...

gsrTurbo9166

500 RPM
Apr 23, 2005
bro
1st thing to make sure that saga engine mounting is totally different wif the mivec engine mounting
which mean that u need to modify the mounting points for the new engine
that is the problem when u come to modifying the mounting where JPJ will not approve the car
if u really wan a turbo engine
the best choice is 4G61t which the mounting is almost same wif ur saga
but the disadvantage of having this engine is that the engine is too old n the spare parts are quite hard to find
if u need a 6 seconds car
u need to put in an evo or a vr4, unless u mod the mivec engine "kaw kaw"
for ur 1.3 original engine, i don think that it has the ability to mod til become a 6 seconds car
for ur current engine
if i not mistaken, ur car hp is around 80-85 only

so my opinion is
1. change ur current engine to mivec(if u wan n able to settle wif JPJ)
2. change ur current engine to 4G61t
3. sell ur car, buy wira that share the same chasis wif lancer which u can easily mod any engine to it (4G93t,mivec,evo,etc)
4. use back ur car, save up to buy a real sport car

hope to can help
happy modding

Dec 16, 2005
u brought a tear to my eye but i totally believe you... think ill save d cash n buy a real sports car..

jombiee

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Ghombau
fren, just go to saga iswara thread & u'll be surprised that 4g15 with performance carb & racing cam can tapau a big v-tech.

matspeed, powerzone, rpw got many performance stuff for this engine
it has potential like other engines just taht u need to do some research have TT with them (saga iswara gang)

if got jalan even dump in 4g93T inside. To jpj everything is illegal........

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
whts ur budget like
then i may be able to advise you

bt to tell the truth , if i was u ,
i would never ever throw away a new engine

do u know u pay atleast half of ur Cars worth money for the engine bay alone ? and now u decide to change an engine , i tink its a wrong move

and to mod a LMST is a waste of time
to gain HP and torque is almost so narrow
unless the word "supercharger kit" "nitrous kit" "turbo kit"
comes into the topic
if u r heading for normal mods like air filter , exhaust system , i would say keep it in a budget and dont expect much from it , most to most 10hp increase , and dont ever expect to feel diffrence from 10hp , its unnoticeable

if u are heading for high monsterous beast , keep the new car and get a 2nd hand car to play with or just get a sports car in the future :)

xcheong

1,500 RPM
Mar 6, 2004
Visit site
yup totally agree...
don't throw away new engine, unless its giving u problem.
if its ok, keep it!

if wanna change engine, u should've bought a old car. a car that the engine almost kong liao. the good thing is the car probably very cheap.
u can save all ur money to buy a better engine to replace it.

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
jinkl .. ok, if we dun change engine for the LMST .. wat happen if we want at least "something" more out of the LMST... wat would u advise then?

u said exhaust system , airfilter ... Wat about camshaft? camshaft would be the best among all of that right?

jinkl said:
whts ur budget like
then i may be able to advise you

bt to tell the truth , if i was u ,
i would never ever throw away a new engine

do u know u pay atleast half of ur Cars worth money for the engine bay alone ? and now u decide to change an engine , i tink its a wrong move

and to mod a LMST is a waste of time
to gain HP and torque is almost so narrow
unless the word "supercharger kit" "nitrous kit" "turbo kit"
comes into the topic
if u r heading for normal mods like air filter , exhaust system , i would say keep it in a budget and dont expect much from it , most to most 10hp increase , and dont ever expect to feel diffrence from 10hp , its unnoticeable

if u are heading for high monsterous beast , keep the new car and get a 2nd hand car to play with or just get a sports car in the future :)

jombiee

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Ghombau
...and not everybody could afford engines transplant, u need at least 10k & then comes the gadjet & upgrades

If these guys got the money, they dont buy LMST...they would buy a supercar instead.

so why not let them try to squeeze thier sohc carb powerplant, it can gain 120hp & the 1.6 waja & MAcampro like...aaaaaaa what the heck kenot follow that cheap car....thats priceless

peace & cheers

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
my point is , is it worthit to mod it small
in my past experience , i modded my 1.6 sohc wira little bt little , in the end i regretted , because the amount i used for slowly modifying was more than enough to get a 1.8 4g93 dohc halfcut

let say la ,
we change air filter - 120 bucks
exhaust system with good 2nd hand muffler - 1k
oversized throttle body - 250
exhaust header powerzone - 400
high cams regrind malaysian made- 1000
port and polish - 600

or let say we go for powerzone setup
http://powerzone.com.my/index_eng.htm

atleast 4k-5k would be spent off

bt thts the price u can pay to get a decent 4G93 that comes from a putra or gti plant
bt the thing is that halfcut and stuff u dont get NEW stuff

thing is that i dowan u to spend gradually over 10k
and finally regretting that u only gain 10-20hp
while u could have put that 10k on the line for a monster 1.8 Mivec Turbo (example)

jombiee

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Ghombau
I do agree with u jinkl
another reason is I dont wanna mess with jay pee jay, the only powerplant that needs minor mounting mods for saga/iswara chassis are only 4g6x, rare stuff &
these guy can approved ur transplant today, tomorrow kena tahan said kenot pulak, then kena go inspection....arghhh.

so next time better plan ahead before buying a car then.
dont buy today & later thinking to dump in 4g93t in ur daily driven iswara.....later to find out u should get a wira instead.

Dec 16, 2005
the prob for me is.. i did wanna get a car.. i told my dad i need a ride.. any ride.. jst to get to college.. came back from holiday.. and saw a blue saga lmst.. i thot ok la.. why not.. can main main sikit.. im fickle minded bout changing my engine cuz what ya'll say is true.. its still a new engine.. sayang jugak.. plus its still under warranty.. i thot ill probably do up the engine here n there la.. about the money.. its the satisfaction u get man.. instead of spending so much on a branded product.. buy a cheaper product which does the same job just as well.. put the money into a new bank account and call that account "I WANT A SUPERCAR ACCOUNT"..
for now.. im working on the exterior and the ice.. then ill work on the engine after the warranty.. even if i can get the car to sound as nice as it goes.. its ok le.. the car is light so the power to weight ratio should be good if i keep the weight down here n there..
well.. any ideas on what minor mods i can do to my ride ??
whats the code for my 1.3 engine ??
i wanna install a non turbo pipercross cold air intake.. how much eh ??
HKS Sparkplugs ??
does grounding wires actually increase hp's ??
common sifu's.. brainstorm with me.. we'll go mamak and chat about it if ya'll want.. hahaha... thanx guys.. i really appreciate it..

'[00] TRD

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
4527 said:
does grounding wires actually increase hp's ??
it doesnt increase power but enhancin the ICE mostly, better flow of current or sumthin liddat

banq

Aug 3, 2004
Save money without modz till stock engine gong off is wise choice. :shades_smile:

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Any engine conversion is pure science... u have to do it properly or else it will give probs.

For my case, I bought the halfcut cheaply and did a minor overhaul to replace all the old bearings, oil seals and both water and oil pumps. That cost me RM 1.5k alone in both parts n labour.

In total, I spend close to RM 7k for my engine transplant alone. Then, another RM 200 to register it at JPJ. Now, need to spend another RM 2-3k+ to fix other probs. Sigh... at the rate I'm going, I'll be bankrupt in 6 months! :(

Kelis

Known Member
Jul 5, 2004
Penang
4527 said:
well.. any ideas on what minor mods i can do to my ride ??
whats the code for my 1.3 engine ??
Hi, 4527. As for minor mods which u can do for your car, maybe u might want to consider changing your stock extractor?

Your engine code... 4g13p. :regular_smile:

aku_sangap

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2004
Tengah Laut
Visit site
if i were u, i'll save up the money and get another car...maybe a old skool wif monster engine inside..ehehehe...to name a few, lancer wif sr20det, cefiro wif rb20/25det...toyota crown wif 1jz .....etc..etc..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Guys,

Just curious ...i plan to change my petrol filter..but question is can i change to bigger size filter or used a same one? any pro and con??
currently i running with 4G92M ......
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience