Does VTEC have....

zerocool78

Jun 16, 2006
Hi,

I just read and understand how DOUBLE VANOS works. Single Vanos only control the open of inlet valve, where double vanos control both inlet and outlet valves.

If compare to vtec, it only controls the inlet valves (am I right?). If so, when will HONDA comes out with ones that controls the opening of outlet valves. (or this already in I-VTEC)

Just wondering though... thanks..

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
the exhaust is not very important I think, because of the fact that closing the valve later during the exhaust stroke might result in a meeting of valve + piston and opening it earlier results in compression loss. SAAB even makes a block that can make good power by varying compression ratio.. but the system makes too little power increase for the cost to make it marketable.

That's why variable cam timing and lift on ferarris not implemented on other types of cars... they cost TOO MUCH to make.

I haven't seen a variable exhaust cam timing system yet, so consider the above uninformed opinion.

Last edited:

zerocool78

Jun 16, 2006
shiroitenshi,

Thanks for the explaination, as my understanding from the beemer website is that it D-Vanos do feel alot of different compate to S-Vanos. Hmm... who knows one day Honda might do that when the technology is cheaper than.. [:D]

amdfaisal

4,000 RPM
Sep 6, 2004
Bawah jembatan
from the i've got from the net, DOHC VTEC implemented in B series engine activates on both intake and exhaust valves. If you look at the camshafts, you will see three lobes for each set of intake and exhaust valves... 2 lobes are for normal 16-valve operation while the other lobe is for the actuator that will move in unison when VTEC engage (when the solenoid is activated -> oil -> pin -> etc etc)

for SOHC VTEC, only the intake part is concerned. too complicated to implement VTEC on exhaust side i suppose.

For i-VTEC, only the K20As found in the type Rs have VTEC on both intake and exhaust.

you can refer to this web page if interested...

http://www.leecao.com/honda/vtec/index.html

correct me if i'm wrong

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
amdfaisal said:
from the i've got from the net, DOHC VTEC implemented in B series engine activates on both intake and exhaust valves. If you look at the camshafts, you will see three lobes for each set of intake and exhaust valves... 2 lobes are for normal 16-valve operation while the other lobe is for the actuator that will move in unison when VTEC engage (when the solenoid is activated -> oil -> pin -> etc etc)

for SOHC VTEC, only the intake part is concerned. too complicated to implement VTEC on exhaust side i suppose.

For i-VTEC, only the K20As found in the type Rs have VTEC on both intake and exhaust.

you can refer to this web page if interested...

http://www.leecao.com/honda/vtec/index.html

correct me if i'm wrong
Yup.. you're right on that one.. but D-vanos plays with the timing (I think).. like you play with the adjustable cam pully.. it's also that cam timing advance thing that you see on the RB26DETT, AE111 engine (or was it 101?) It's fully variable, unlike VTEC which is an on-off system. Notice that the thing I mentioned is ONLY PRESENT on the intake side.

Remember that the OLD VTEC is not a Variable System nor has honda claimed it as such.. It switches to different cam profiles to provide more lift and duration.. that's why it's not smooth, and you can feel the kick when VTEC engages.

I'm totally clueless with i-VTEC.. so I'll refrain from commenting about that one.

Last edited:

amdfaisal

4,000 RPM
Sep 6, 2004
Bawah jembatan
smooth VTEC transition for the i-VTECs in the new civics/accords/CRV/stream i think since it's the transition from 12-valve operation to 16-valve operation as seen in D15B and also D17A. refer http://asia.vtec.net/article/k20a/index.html and http://asia.vtec.net/article/ivtec/index.html

for those high perf EP3, DC5, CL7 (not that fast), a different approach was taken. these K20A R are permanent 16-valvers with a switch of profile depending on the rpm (engine load). This profile switch occurs on both intake and exhaust.
http://asia.vtec.net/article/MME2004ET1/index1.html

if u read american forums... lots of ppl are dumping their normal K20As for the 'R' K20As... different tech altogether and of cos different power le...

and yup.. add that VTC thingy also... to improve low-end + mid-range

just my comprehension from the articles read

harpoon

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
shah alam n amp
the dohc vtec system for b-series consist of vtec cam for intake and exhaust. it's operation as though you have 2 set of cam in one. it's change over point is preset by ecu, hence like on-off switch.

wherees for i-vtec, you still have the same vtec cam for intake and exhaust plus vtc function, it's as though you have adjustable cam pulley, the best part is it's adjustable on the fly.

combine both vtec and vtc, you will get better performance because there will be two performance lobe overlap. the reason you don't feel much difference when vtec kick in is because the vtec is set to engage at lower rpm, and after vtec engagement, vtc will still be adjustable.

honda is already in the stage to introduce avtec (advance i-vtec) something even better

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

currently think of stroke up my evo 4 4g63 engine with 4g64 2.4L grandis block, but my mech ask me to hold on,wait for confirmation until people prove that the block can be use, my mech told me , he suspect that the starter position is different from 4g63,4g63 is at btm part of the block, but 4g64 starter position is near middle, if just put in the block will resulting in starter being block and heat up by the turbo.... any evo sifu had done this successful?i know evo 1-3 can but how about 4...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience