Coil Spring

mirage2929

Known Member
Dec 5, 2004
hi, just wander how long can a spring last. How can we detect its time for replacement? :)

artnet

1,500 RPM
Jan 19, 2004
Sarawak
www.cardomain.com
from wht i've been told, coil springs will not dead.

but wht my feeling tells me is, they will.
my old honda rear always sink a lot whenever got one passenger/stuffs in boot.
even new damper. but after getting a set of coil spring from chop shop it sink not as much as b4.

my honda stock coil spring has been used for 15years or might be more. just an estimation. it ever carried 5 passengers with luggage somemore... often driven on long distance(terrible road condition somemore) with heavy load...

mirage2929

Known Member
Dec 5, 2004
i thought the spring will lose its tension/elasticity over time?

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
it depends on the coil springs quality and make.
Eg. HotBits Coil Springs comes with a 5 yrs warranty (if i'm not mistaken) therefore I believe it would last at least 7yrs before a replacement is due. Way longer than the shock absorbers. However it is subjected to usage.. such as carrying heavier loads at most time will reduce it's ability to perform. One more thing that these coil springs once 'bedded in' with your absorbers it's best that u dun take it out and store the springs elsewhere for a long period of time. Thats why 2nd hand springs are usually not compatible with your absorbers.

I took this information mostly from the web and my mechs advice.

Cheers.

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
Originally posted by ftzone@Mar 2 2005, 12:36
it depends on the coil springs quality and make.
Eg. HotBits Coil Springs comes with a 5 yrs warranty (if i'm not mistaken) therefore I believe it would last at least 7yrs before a replacement is due. Way longer than the shock absorbers. However it is subjected to usage.. such as carrying heavier loads at most time will reduce it's ability to perform. One more thing that these coil springs once 'bedded in' with your absorbers it's best that u dun take it out and store the springs elsewhere for a long period of time. Thats why 2nd hand springs are usually not compatible with your absorbers.

I took this information mostly from the web and my mechs advice.

Cheers.
unless you are using servicable absorbers, you can get the service guy to revalve the shocks to match the springs/coils.

I believe that the springs can last as long as the car without going too far off from original specs.
If not subjected to heavy loads and high temperatures constantly, they should be trouble free.

What bugs me now is my rubber insulators at the end of the coils have worn out.
There is a "nyek nyek" sound everytime the spring is compressed :angry:

pls correct me if i said anything wrong.

artnet

1,500 RPM
Jan 19, 2004
Sarawak
www.cardomain.com
my front 2nd trd lowering spring is also less strong...
it is lower than the height that it says...
and feel hard... might due to my damper also(not short stroke).

EG8

2,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
KL
www.surfer-girl.com
can we change the rubber insulators?

coz my civic using 2nd hand ITR springs but everytime i sit at the back it will creak creak.why ler... any idea? anyway it happen on my old absorbers and my newly bought 1st hand absorbers.

Thanks

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
Originally posted by EG8@Mar 5 2005, 20:12

coz my civic using 2nd hand ITR springs but everytime i sit at the back it will creak creak.why ler... any idea? anyway it happen on my old absorbers and my newly bought 1st hand absorbers.

Thanks
i just had the problem today.

I suspect control arms

EG8

2,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
KL
www.surfer-girl.com
Originally posted by boggysv+Mar 5 2005, 20:35 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (boggysv @ Mar 5 2005, 20:35 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EG8@Mar 5 2005, 20:12

Thanks
i just had the problem today.

I suspect control arms [/b][/quote]
u mean the control arm default? care to elaborate?

it is really sickening when someone sit at the back.creak creak like 30 years old car already...sigh... i dont want to waste money buying new springs end up the same problem occured.

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
Maybe my problem is different , coz my creeking is at the front :lol:

The ball joint was making noise, first squealing, then creeking, slowly clunking, then it will break off :lol:

I'm not familiar with hondas, but from what i know, a ball-joint will usually give you creeking sounds.
Or it might be your coil rubbing against the mountings.

Best is that you get a professional to help you pin-point the sound source.

ninja_iga

3,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
yes

springs, like everything else, has a lifespan.

most OE springs are about 200,000-250,000 life-cycles (fully-compress and release)

some springs like B+G are 500,000 life-cycles..

all would depend on the material used in it's construction :)

gibod_78

1,500 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
i suspect my coil spring on the drivers side (front) 'kong' edi coz its clearly visible. Gap between tyre and fender only 1 finger. Other side is 2.5 finger. Im assuming due to location of the heavy gbox and the drivers weight, the spring becomes like that. Its a lowering spring and used for 5 yrs ++ edi..

am i right? or could it be other reasons that my car become like that?..

EG8

2,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
KL
www.surfer-girl.com
check your absorber too.i do encounter this problem before, later that i found that the absorber kong already.
but it might be your spring too.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys,
im planning to change all four of my gsr engine mounting, but my mechanic told me that proton oem (4g93) mounting is not suitable.
anyone have change their gsr mounting before? what brand is most suitable?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience