Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

Check Engine. Again....

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

SilentSeeker

Hello to all bros,

Last time, the check engine light was due to my ECU, thanks to bro levin818 its fix, lately, its happening again. And this is how it happens:

Was driving along the road, thought of having some fun with my beloved car,
shifted down to L (auto >.<) press on the pedal, shifted to 2, then third(holding by OD),
then one stupid driver jus come out of the simpang, i depress slightly the pedal and hold, then comes the check engine light....

the light will go off if i restart my engine. It does not happens always, just sometimes, but will confirm if i naik bukit. Hold too long on 3rd??

Sifus here pls enlighten me.

Attachments

• htup_0807_01_z+honda_check_engine_light_aka_mil_cel_or_idiot_light.jpg
    htup_0807_01_z+honda_check_engine_light_aka_mil_cel_or_idiot_light.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 554
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi SilentSeeker, holding too long on OD will not cause Check Light to turn ON.
Can you retrieve the error code? It will tells you which parts went wrong.

Could be O2 sensor. Usually CEL will turn on during full throttle if the O2 sensor is faulty.

O ok, i tried to do the diagnosis thing, but when i short the heads, nothing comes out, the check engine light still on. Will try to clean the heads later in the afternoon and see how things go. Regarding the O2 sensor, thats my suspect too, because my car has been running rich all this while.
If stand behind car for a lil longer, can smell the petrol stink. Will check first thou. and see how things go.

Thanks sifus

Hi silentSeeker, here are the steps to retrieve the error codes:

1) Turn on the Ignition key, do not start the engine
2) At diagnostic socket (beside the AFM), jump "TE1" and "E1" with a jumper
3) Observe the check engine light blinking pattern

Condition: Engine at working temperature; all electrical load OFF

Thanks levin818, later in the afternoon when i'm off work and see how things go. I've already printed the steps from a 4age manual. :) thanks

Hi silentSeeker, here are the steps to retrieve the error codes:

1) Turn on the Ignition key, do not start the engine
2) At diagnostic socket (beside the AFM), jump "TE1" and "E1" with a jumper
3) Observe the check engine light blinking pattern

Condition: Engine at working temperature; all electrical load OFF

the 2nd step.. can do with a test pen?

just asking.. in case my SVT has d same prob :biggrin:

the 2nd step.. can do with a test pen?

just asking.. in case my SVT has d same prob :biggrin:

In my case, i use a paper clip. Unbend it and sand paper the ends a lil to show the copper coloured compund inside, sometimes its silverish colour. Jus need to sand away the chrome compunds.

I have yet to test mine. Got held up by work yesterday.

lol yesterday gze's checklight also kept coming on.. damn.. i need to pull out the codes too.. i do have one error as the speed sensor is not connected, but yesterday the light kepy coming on.. im hopping its just the speed sensor and nothing new..

lol yesterday gze's checklight also kept coming on.. damn.. i need to pull out the codes too.. i do have one error as the speed sensor is not connected, but yesterday the light kepy coming on.. im hopping its just the speed sensor and nothing new..

About this speed sensor, does it only comes on when you speed along? My fren's B16b has this problem every time when he reaches 80km/h then the TEC kicks in and when reach 90++ comes the check engine light. Something like the speed sensor cannot catch up or dirty cannot sense well. Jus my 2 cents.

for me normally when i hold high revs the check light for speed sensor comes on.. for example, 3rd gear 4k rpm hold for awhile, then the light will come on.. yesterday while crusing also the light came on, thats y i need to check the codes, cause it does not seem

Then its almost similar like mine, hope i gothe time later to check out the codes. Sigh... One problem after another.:banghead:

levin818: erm is all codes saved in the ecu? can i check the codes with the engine on?

Not having the time to check out the codes, i drop my car at my frens place yesterday and have my o2 sensor cleaned. So far still no signs of check engine coming on. BUT the o2 sensor is damn DIRTY. Almost like carbon coated. Will update to see if anything happens again.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

levin818: erm is all codes saved in the ecu? can i check the codes with the engine on?

The codes will be saved unless you unplugged the battery and wait for like 15 to 30 mins where the ECU will lost memory. The other way the codes will be lost is also by shorting the Diagnosis port. Thats what i know. jus my 2 cents.

The key must be turned to ON after a round of warm up. Not when the engine is running. THen you check the codes. Make sure your player, amp and lights are off. Thats from my own experience.

for early model ae86 there is a yellow connector near your firewall (2 pin round connector),short that 2 pin and you can see the codes.

for late model ae86,there is a diagnosis box,just short pin T and E1,the codes will come out.

dont forget to switch ignition key to ON after shorting the pins,dont start the car.

Top Bottom