97 Mitsu Lancer-4G15 - DOHC 16V - white smoke

edruben

Known Member
Feb 7, 2005
greetings to all 3 diamond's forumers, i am going to jump the gun and get straight to the problem. i have a mitsubishi lancer like the above model and have problems with my engine. the symptoms are as follows.

- Engine smoking white, sometimes when i rav it.
- Engine oil level goes down quite rapidly.
- No freaking power at all aka power loss.
- engine making hell of a lot of noise, (mechanic said that it could be tepet problems.)
- its a tiptronic gear box, but sometimes when i am goin up hill and gear changes it takes a while before a little bit of power kicks in.

Mechanics gave me the following solutions,

1) overhall the engine, change piston ring, grind valve(whatever that means), change all gaskets, etc, etc, etc. total cost for this he said would be a wooping 1K.

2) just top up the engine oil as it goes down, (like duhhhhhhhh i knew that)

another thing to note is that i have been changing between oils from normal to syntetatic and now to semi. I noticed that my tepet noice dissapear completely when i use syntathic.

ANY ppl out there able to help :help:! any help will do, even pointing out to a good mechanic would do.

thanks, live long and prosper......:ciao:

B18C-R

1,500 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Did your mechanic check the condition of your gasket ? How about compression leaks ?

Where is your location ?

edruben

Known Member
Feb 7, 2005
thanks for the reply mate! i am at KL, the mechanic just reved my engine and told me that my piston rings are gone thats it.

blackbeast

Sep 30, 2005
White smoke and engine oil loss is normally a strong indicator that the engine needs to be overhauled. Piston rings or in the worse case scenario, the pistons themselves would need to be replaced. Before this you would most likely have had a slightly bluish smoke which were early indications ....I think your mechanics assestment is correct

edruben

Known Member
Feb 7, 2005
thanks blackbeast, how much do you think it would cost? any mechanic recommendations? i just checked with another mechanic, and he told me it would be cheaper to change the engine(kosong). any advice

blackbeast

Sep 30, 2005
my guess is that it would cost about 1k or so if its just the piston rings...if the pistons need to be replaced, then its going to cost a lot more.....
changing engine kosong would be cheaper, but you would prob have to fork out a bit to fix that engine too and you wouldnt know the condition its in ........in the end, it could cost even more than it would to fix ur current engine......not to mention all the jpj paperwork hastles....

i think it would be better to get your current engine fixed if these are the only issues with it.....just my 2 cents....

the power loss is also related to the piston/piston rings.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Any1 have try this?...please teach me...or others who intreste with this :regular_smile:

im using 1.3 caburator engine

thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience