Shell Helix now offers engine warranty for free

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I hate to nitpick here but "caramel" isn't exactly a great comparison for oil! Haha! If you cook with caramel, you know it's thick, very sticky, doesn't flow well and break apart in dollops rather than a smooth flow of liquid. :rofl:

Anyway, this is quite a crafty tactic on Shells part. The warranty brings in the users and the constant reminders makes sure they stay as users.

How often is any engine failure an oil related failure?

- Oil starvation - isn't the oils fault
- Oil boiling to oblivion (probably due to track use) - grey area

Apart from fake/recycled oils, any oil in the market even the crappy cheap oils will lubricate enough to let your engine run without much issues. And considering how long Shell has been in the market, their oil formula isn't going to ruin anything unless abused, which in case will void the warranty.

So it's a win-win for Shell. Crafy indeed.
Agree... This is good marketing tactic. Engines a generally strong under the 160 - 200k km mark. They mentioned piston rings and some seals. Well I guess that general statement probably refers to piston ring snapping or breaking, which never happens. If one tries to claim for piston rings being worn off and burning oil, that would come under general wear and tear.

Having said that, they will have some very minimal risk on their side though, almost negligible. That aside, I trust their oil is good. It's just this very cleverly formulated scheme that sounds appealing to some groups; but sounds a bit of a "try-hard" and redundant to others. :biggrin:

But it's a good initiative anyways... Hope that this will up the bar for other brands and parts. Competition benefits us consumers after all.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Easy to beat,
Bring other product and giving 13 years warranty...:driver:
Bro... Then make sure earn enough money and close in 5 years :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::burnout:

Rickman

Oct 23, 2017
Temerloh
The SHEW edy launch, that really a great promotion which covers engine warranty, feel great to have it.somehow heard shell new promotion also finally launch, I heard from my friend that shell going to launch this benefit to customer, bit confused on shew and new promotion.ayone know bit details on it? free oil maybe?:burnout:

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017
mentkab
The SHEW promotion finally launch, i heard from my friend that shell going to launch this benefit to customer, that really a great promotion which cover engine warranty, feel great to have it.
What is S.H.E.W? new promotion? How can i get this promotion? need purchased a lot of oil? :confused:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
The SHEW promotion finally launch, i heard from my friend that shell going to launch this benefit to customer, that really a great promotion which cover engine warranty, feel great to have it.
So what car you drive? What year?

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
They are very smart, you must also buy the shell oil from Shell retailer, that means paying RM247 for 4L. The tesco one at Rm139 wont count. No thanks.
Anyway my 26 year old car was on a steady diet of Tesco bought Helix Ultra for 11 years, until now not burning oil and no compression issues. Safe to say its pretty useless warranty.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
They are very smart, you must also buy the shell oil from Shell retailer, that means paying RM247 for 4L. The tesco one at Rm139 wont count. No thanks.
Anyway my 26 year old car was on a steady diet of Tesco bought Helix Ultra for 11 years, until now not burning oil and no compression issues. Safe to say its pretty useless warranty.
Yup, many of my friends have been using engine oil sold by Tesco too, and Tesco have been selling plenty of them and if those oil are not good, imagine how many engine would have failed already......lol:biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yup, many of my friends have been using engine oil sold by Tesco too, and Tesco have been selling plenty of them and if those oil are not good, imagine how many engine would have failed already......lol:biggrin:
Unfortunately lately I noticed Tesco is not selling much of other popular oil brands anymore leh! The one I often visit now only has Castrol! :banghead: Anyone know or hear anything related to this??

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Unfortunately lately I noticed Tesco is not selling much of other popular oil brands anymore leh! The one I often visit now only has Castrol! :banghead: Anyone know or hear anything related to this??
I am a loyal user of engine oil from tesco.I even service all vehicle in my family using engine oil bought at tesco..below are the list;
1.Wira 1.5 1999 auto ( sold )
2.Waja 1.8 2002
3.Pajero 1997 LO47
4.Kenari 2004
5.W124 Merc
6.Exora cfe
7.BLM 2008

All vehicle has undergo at least twice oil change if its not driven frequently like the pajero and exora.My BLM has lost count already.Its 150k km now and been using tesco brand since the mileage is below 100k km.

On the stock at Tesco,both outlet in Melaka still has normal supply of engine oil.Now have Repsol and Penzzoil.Repsol lowest price is RM119 for semi 5l package if not mistaken.

I dont see any reason to buy engine oil at spare part shop anymorr unless they discount kaw2 like Tesco did.
Sometimes its so cheap that i changed semi oil at 5k interval.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The shell oil engine warranty has so many clauses it's somewhat questionable.

The warranty only covers damage from the oil. And how often do we hear engine oil causing catastrophic engine failure? Usually it's the wear and tear parts that cause the failures and the warranty doesn't cover those.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yah!, some oil not that cheap as before also.....:banghead:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The shell oil engine warranty has so many clauses it's somewhat questionable.

The warranty only covers damage from the oil. And how often do we hear engine oil causing catastrophic engine failure? Usually it's the wear and tear parts that cause the failures and the warranty doesn't cover those.
Marketing......lol

Oct 25, 2017
Yah!, some oil not that cheap as before also.....:banghead:
yea, sometimes i do experience that shell station selling the shell helix are expensive than other place... as for now i learnt to buy the engine oil by myself then only ask foreman help me change...
able to save more cost...

Oct 25, 2017
The SHEW edy launch, that really a great promotion which covers engine warranty, feel great to have it.somehow heard shell new promotion also finally launch, I heard from my friend that shell going to launch this benefit to customer, bit confused on shew and new promotion.ayone know bit details on it? free oil maybe?:burnout:
free the shell helix product, but only after 4th oil changes, by the way its good to have this promotion also, i think can improve more people to know about take care of their engine, although its easy to always send service on time, but also extra knowledge on the engine condition

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Just be patient. It will come again. The last one i bought was from giant, back in march. The giant promo was RM129. As soon as got, grab a few at one go. I have 3 new 4L bottles in my personal stock.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Just be patient. It will come again. The last one i bought was from giant, back in march. The giant promo was RM129. As soon as got, grab a few at one go. I have 3 new 4L bottles in my personal stock.
I bought almost 2 years supply. From Tesco, UMW warehouse sale, Aeon also....lol