imitation rims - are they really not reliable at all?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

the keyword is: do not go for insanely low profile tyre.....keep it adequate and the rest should be ok...

this is because when wheel meet any rough/potholes...the first contact was from the tyre...then only transferred to the rims....if the tyre was too thin, it cant absorb the impact hence the rest of impact goes to the rims and bend/crack it....
Exactly!

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
In similar case, even ori japan wheel will break. I did saw a piece of genuine 18" G-Games 77 broken into 3 pieces after accident (laid on Monster Garage corridor in singapore few years back). If you concern about wheel bent after hitting pot holes, I can tell you even genuine japan forged aluminum wheel will bend too. The 18" Advan model 5 (forged, 8kg front 8.7kg rear) on my car have 1 wheel bent. My old wheels CR-Kai (not forged. 9.8kg each) also got 2 wheels bent. this thing really cannot avoid except you keep the car at home display only or drive 20-30km/h all the time.
True.

I use Spoon replica on my Civic. Balances well for few years of use.

I use Japan original authentic P1 Buddy Club 16x8.5 offset 27 on my other car. Bengkok.

I don't think the knowhow to cast/forge wheels is out of reach for our local manufacturers. Or even, China manufacturers.

It's how you use, where you use. No Standard can help if the wheel was misused or abused.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
True.

I use Spoon replica on my Civic. Balances well for few years of use.

I use Japan original authentic P1 Buddy Club 16x8.5 offset 27 on my other car. Bengkok.

I don't think the knowhow to cast/forge wheels is out of reach for our local manufacturers. Or even, China manufacturers.

It's how you use, where you use. No Standard can help if the wheel was misused or abused.

yep...speaking of which...last saturday already put a heavy dent on OZ rally wheels...during rally by kerbing a cement bridge barrier :driver:

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
all sifu,

yesterday just saw my mech fren car wira 16 inc rim wif yokohama ado8 involve in accident. 1 of te rim, all leg broken....this is te dangerous using "Imitation" rim.....i thk made in china 1....:afraid:

Attachments

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
16" tyre on Wira is considerably lower profile, the wheel have less rubber buffer ma. Must drive slow slow one. Anyway I saw a Naza Ria with all-spoke-broken stock alloy wheel that I couldn't explain of.

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
YYC,
u remind me too "less rubber buffer".......its dangerous in malaysia road...

if our absorber is hardcore type......should use tyre to compensate te bumpy road.....am i right....

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Have you seen the process in which Rays Wheels are forged? I highly doubt any China manufacturer comes close to that.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
YYC,
u remind me too "less rubber buffer".......its dangerous in malaysia road...

if our absorber is hardcore type......should use tyre to compensate te bumpy road.....am i right....
Once i had the privilege of sitting in a Wira with 17" with stock suspension. The tyre was 35 or 30 profile. Just after 5 mins I felt wanting to vomit my yesterday dinner.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
all sifu,

yesterday just saw my mech fren car wira 16 inc rim wif yokohama ado8 involve in accident. 1 of te rim, all leg broken....this is te dangerous using "Imitation" rim.....i thk made in china 1....:afraid:
Buy imitation rims but use Yoko AD-08?.....fuyoh!:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

16" tyre on Wira is considerably lower profile, the wheel have less rubber buffer ma. Must drive slow slow one. Anyway I saw a Naza Ria with all-spoke-broken stock alloy wheel that I couldn't explain of.
Can lah! Have been on 17", 45 series for the last 10 years on my VR.....:biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Once i had the privilege of sitting in a Wira with 17" with stock suspension. The tyre was 35 or 30 profile. Just after 5 mins I felt wanting to vomit my yesterday dinner.
You're easily affected by motion sickness eh? You'd probably vomit in less than 2 mins in my car then. :biggrin:

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Buy imitation rims but use Yoko AD-08?.....fuyoh!:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Can lah! Have been on 17", 45 series for the last 10 years on my VR.....:biggrin:
45series is acceptable la, i'm on 45 series too.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
all sifu,

in an accident ANY wheel can break wan la... not just fakies.

heres proof that ori wheels can break... and it wasnt even in an accident

Breaking an SSR Type C - YouTube

and some nice pictures too

http://thelowprofileblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/broken-wheels.html

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Shhhh.. I set it to 'my' settings whenever I get the chance. Must... not... let... her... find... out....
Okay, want to find out how you adjust the rears? yours not covered? Mine front easy, rears got to take out rear seats....:mad:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Okay, want to find out how you adjust the rears? yours not covered? Mine front easy, rears got to take out rear seats....:mad:
Mine is through the rear speakers. Since I don't have rear speakers i just open the cover and stick my hand in lor. Your VR too powderful already la. LOL!

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Depends on the width of the tires. I'm also still very comfy with 45 but I'm using 245 width. If 215/45 or 205/45, I would not use already.
215/45R17 still okay leh! Nowadays many car make and model comes as standard fitment.....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Mine is through the rear speakers. Since I don't have rear speakers i just open the cover and stick my hand in lor. Your VR too powderful already la. LOL!
Okay, noted....:adore:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Today , I tried to remove the satria door trim ( infront ) on both side , but i don't know how to remove it..hahaha..I remove the skru on the door handle , the skru on >( a small place or something like hole like tupperware / people use it as a handle to close the door ) , a skru on the left hand side of the door panel , and a skru on the right hand side perpendicular..Therefore , is there anymore skru to remove ? ..After removing all , what should i do to remove the door trim..Please...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience