White bulbs comparison/discussion

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I am in a big dilemma now as whether to use HID or stick to normal white bulbs i.e. Osram Cool Blue, Nightbreaker Plus. Currently using a no-brand white bulb.

Let this thread enable us to discuss the different types of white bulbs that you have used in terms of brightness, glare, colour temperature, lifespan etc. It will be much helpful with pictures. The purpose is so that anyone who consider changing to these white bulbs can see for themselves whether it is what they really want rather than reading all the BS that is printed on the labels...

If there is any pictures, let it be stock without any edit and please state the

i. Brand & Model
ii. Advertised Colour temperature
iii. Lifespan
iv. Effect on lamp housing (Too hot/melt?)
v. Condition (dry, rain, with streetlights, etc.)

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
My first...

Brand: No brand but written "Super White Bulb"
Advertised Colour Temp.: None. They just say white bulb
Real Colour Temp.: Around 4000k
Lifespan: Not sure. Used 2 months so far. Should be long lasting unlike expensive white bulbs with Xenon gas.
Effect on housing: Lousy! Much hotter than normal yellow bulbs even though the power is same 55/60W

Extra: Visibility sucks! Worst than stock yellow. But what do you expect? RM35 only. That's why want to change soon.

The picture here is kind of yellow. In real life, they are much whiter. And the colour of the bulbs are blue tinted. Not clear like the one shown. The one shown are my original bulbs.

Attachments

impo

Known Member
Mar 27, 2006
Bro... i think is better you use HID 4300k.... it wont melt ur lamp housing.... i've been using hid on my proton waja for 3-4 yrs.. till now i have nothing happen to my lamp....

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
i. Eagleye HID
ii. 6000K
iii. almost 3 years then one side ballast kaput, replaced with GT-HID
iv. No effect, headlamp still like that (Wira crystal headlamp)
v. Dry = as shown at the pic below, rain = a bit hard to see the road but still ok (to me at least). Some blind spots at the btm right.

just sharing, now no more using HID already, these pics was few years back :adore:

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
im thinking about having a 4300k..bout afraid road block kena only..
yee hau86: the pic above is 6000k?

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
yup, it was 6000K H4 bulb. So can toggle between halogen and HID in low beam and high beam :nurse:

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
low beam HID, high beam halogen?? halogen means the oem yellow light?so far road block ok?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Bro... i think is better you use HID 4300k.... it wont melt ur lamp housing.... i've been using hid on my proton waja for 3-4 yrs.. till now i have nothing happen to my lamp....
Bro... I also want 4300k HID actually. For me, I want the magnetic 4300k. But those dogs in white and dark blue here very very hungry nowadays. Can saman you for nothing. They will just say "mengganggu keselamatan/ketenteraman" and you can't argue. I got 3 saman in last 2 months. I was turning out a junction form shops to main road, once reach mainroad, I baru pull seatbelt to wear. Coincidentally got JPJ car zoom by and stop me. Zoom pass so fast also can see I baru pull seatbelt.

Another friend, he was at the traffic light (red lights). Not moving that time. There was a phonecall and his daughter picked up the phone and put to his ear to talk. He wasn't even holding the phone... Suddenly got dogs come and give saman. Too hungry no money buy pedigree to eat la...

So HID is a big NONO in my place, Sabah. Although it is the ideal thing... Last time, Only if one uses 6000k and above they will kacau. 4300k will just pass because not so glaring and they cannot really identify it is HID. But i think now, due to their hungryness, they already learn to differentiate HID and normal white halogen.

I got another friend... Coming back from another town. Late night driving his DMAX. Because he travels outstation passing rural roads frequently, the upgraded to PIAA white bulbs. These are very bright although not as much as HID. On the way back passing kampung roads, suddenly got road block wtf. Kena kacau again... He tried to explain it is not HID they still say tidak boleh. They might not saman him for using HID but they said they can saman him for disturbing other road users as the white colour is glaring (actually it is not very glaring because it isn't HID. Just white colour =.=). Fine... They couldn't saman him that time so they gave him 10 days to take them off. wtf.

About using the Hi-Lo HID/Halogen bulbs... NO use also. Now those hungry creatures have evolved. They will station one member far away in plain clothes. When you approach the roadblock and switch to halogen, they will stop you and ask you to flash your lights.

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
low beam HID, high beam halogen?? halogen means the oem yellow light?so far road block ok?
yup, low beam HID, high beam halogen. halogen means yellow light.
road block if see from far then switch to halogen ok no problem will pass, just that at the street once a while will see suddenly got one patrol car cucuk me from behind with the strobe light on :biggrin:

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
Sounds very scary leh, but 4300k shud be ok rite?

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Bro... I also want 4300k HID actually. For me, I want the magnetic 4300k. But those dogs in white and dark blue here very very hungry nowadays. Can saman you for nothing. They will just say "mengganggu keselamatan/ketenteraman" and you can't argue. I got 3 saman in last 2 months. I was turning out a junction form shops to main road, once reach mainroad, I baru pull seatbelt to wear. Coincidentally got JPJ car zoom by and stop me. Zoom pass so fast also can see I baru pull seatbelt.

Another friend, he was at the traffic light (red lights). Not moving that time. There was a phonecall and his daughter picked up the phone and put to his ear to talk. He wasn't even holding the phone... Suddenly got dogs come and give saman. Too hungry no money buy pedigree to eat la...

So HID is a big NONO in my place, Sabah. Although it is the ideal thing... Last time, Only if one uses 6000k and above they will kacau. 4300k will just pass because not so glaring and they cannot really identify it is HID. But i think now, due to their hungryness, they already learn to differentiate HID and normal white halogen.

I got another friend... Coming back from another town. Late night driving his DMAX. Because he travels outstation passing rural roads frequently, the upgraded to PIAA white bulbs. These are very bright although not as much as HID. On the way back passing kampung roads, suddenly got road block wtf. Kena kacau again... He tried to explain it is not HID they still say tidak boleh. They might not saman him for using HID but they said they can saman him for disturbing other road users as the white colour is glaring (actually it is not very glaring because it isn't HID. Just white colour =.=). Fine... They couldn't saman him that time so they gave him 10 days to take them off. wtf.

About using the Hi-Lo HID/Halogen bulbs... NO use also. Now those hungry creatures have evolved. They will station one member far away in plain clothes. When you approach the roadblock and switch to halogen, they will stop you and ask you to flash your lights.
im still thinking of having 4300k hid.., cos my area here (sunway) got road block frequently, but i see mostly they just check road tax only and those suspicious car, another than that they will let u pass...unless u have a super dark tinted..

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
My first...

Brand: No brand but written "Super White Bulb"
Advertised Colour Temp.: None. They just say white bulb
Real Colour Temp.: Around 4000k
Lifespan: Not sure. Used 2 months so far. Should be long lasting unlike expensive white bulbs with Xenon gas.
Effect on housing: Lousy! Much hotter than normal yellow bulbs even though the power is same 55/60W

Extra: Visibility sucks! Worst than stock yellow. But what do you expect? RM35 only. That's why want to change soon.

The picture here is kind of yellow. In real life, they are much whiter. And the colour of the bulbs are blue tinted. Not clear like the one shown. The one shown are my original bulbs.
hahha im using these bulbs too
last time when i bought i didnt know much so i thought dam chun can have white lights
but my visibility is like shit now compared to before :banghead:
but cant complain much since they are only about rm 30

---------- Post added at 03:42 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:40 AM ----------

i. Eagleye HID
ii. 6000K
iii. almost 3 years then one side ballast kaput, replaced with GT-HID
iv. No effect, headlamp still like that (Wira crystal headlamp)
v. Dry = as shown at the pic below, rain = a bit hard to see the road but still ok (to me at least). Some blind spots at the btm right.

just sharing, now no more using HID already, these pics was few years back :adore:
hey bro is that ori eagle eye???
coz i heard eagle eye is the best HID around town :hmmm:
how much does it cost for the whole set for putra ??
my lights now like shittt :banghead:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
previously i was using 4300k hid low beam only, then swapped with 6000k from my fren.
ended up kena tahan in every roadblock, even when driving, the ronda car also stop me.......

at last got fed up, change back to normal halogen bulbs.

btw : i was using made in taiwan HID's lasted about 2yrs++

dun worry, the plastic wont melt.

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
hey bro is that ori eagle eye???
coz i heard eagle eye is the best HID around town :hmmm:
how much does it cost for the whole set for putra ??
my lights now like shittt :banghead:
Not ori bro, if ori the beam pattern will be much better than what I experience above.
for me, the best HID is Philips. The price is one of the best too :biggrin:
I'm not sure the market price now bro :adore:, my pics are back in 2004 - 2005. Haven't been using HID for few years already :listen:

Sounds very scary leh, but 4300k shud be ok rite?
hard to say, depends on your luck and the authority's mood :biggrin:

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
previously i was using 4300k hid low beam only, then swapped with 6000k from my fren.
ended up kena tahan in every roadblock, even when driving, the ronda car also stop me.......

at last got fed up, change back to normal halogen bulbs.

btw : i was using made in taiwan HID's lasted about 2yrs++

dun worry, the plastic wont melt.
if like that i better stick back to my original halogen bulbs...very scary leh, summore CNY is near, im sure we will see them out there road block everynight

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi there! I've been following your forum for some time now. So I thot I would contribute something.

Guys, a few days ago, a flying metal sheet hit my car. It caused a few scratches to the bumper and left side skirting and door. Sigh.. so I thot I will need to send it for respray... ... until I tried this product called Formula 1 Scratch Out® Scratch and Haze Remover

I bought it from ACE Hardware store in Mid Valley. It helped removed the scratches..but not the deep ones or the old...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience