What's The Difference Between RON95 and RON97

gOsht

Jul 2, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
the differ between RON 95 and 97 its not much..
only differ in RON, IBP and additive.other than that is similar spec..

if u want to feel the real power use aviation gasoline its RON 101.5 wit a far better spec
feel like using NOS..had been used in my car more than a year..

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
As far as I know, if you car does not require higher RON Rating, for example only need RON93 to run, then running on RON95 is good enough. Using RON97 does not give extra power. However if your car need RON97 to run then running on RON95 the engine will knock or ping....

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
As far as I know, if you car does not require higher RON Rating, for example only need RON93 to run, then running on RON95 is good enough. Using RON97 does not give extra power. However if your car need RON97 to run then running on RON95 the engine will knock or ping....
It actually does give more power and a smoother ride. So many folks out there really thinks that RON97 really makes your car more powerful, have a cleaner and better engine. (Psst: even my boss who's an engineer also thinks so..oh my lady gaga)

Totally agree with vr2turbo! RON97 does not give you power itself. It is the additives that differ from RON95. If your car can run on RON95 or lower, use it. Pumping RON97 when ur car can run on RON95 is just wasting your money. Unless you want that little little extra boost to make ur ride smoother.

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Ppl just dun understand the meaning of ron.... higher ron is use for better suppression for knock in high performance engine, nothing more, a stock N/A like a myvi all u get is smoother rev that's it. Waste of money...

Wanna go fast turbo or supercharge it lo...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Ppl just dun understand the meaning of ron.... higher ron is use for better suppression for knock in high performance engine, nothing more, a stock N/A like a myvi all u get is smoother rev that's it. Waste of money...

Wanna go fast turbo or supercharge it lo...
Many think higher RON means more powerful, in fact layman terms, the higher the RON the slower the ability to burn, that is why high compression engine require higher RON. The knocking is actually denotation, means the fuel burns before compression stroke is complete. This, in the long run will damaged the engine....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
But my saga having some knocking sound lately with Ron95 :rofl: Dunno what's the sound though :rofl:
(Mivec in disguise?)

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Funny thing, I read a feature in a mag once, comparing different fuel grades on the same engine by dynoing the engine after each refuel. The higher RON fuel actually produce an increase of 4~5bhp...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
But my saga having some knocking sound lately with Ron95 :rofl: Dunno what's the sound though :rofl:
(Mivec in disguise?)
Newer cars have knock sensors, and should readjust the timing to overcome the knock.
My old school all manual, if need to, have to manually adjust.....:hmmmm: but some mention will loose power because got to turn back the advance timing.....:banghead:

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Funny thing, I read a feature in a mag once, comparing different fuel grades on the same engine by dynoing the engine after each refuel. The higher RON fuel actually produce an increase of 4~5bhp...
Performance engine then yes, because they require very high RON fuel....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

it depends...

if stock engine was tuned to suits ron92/95 fuel with low compression setup then surely using ron103 race fuel also yielding no hp increase...

but high performance engine that was meant to use ron97 above surely got differences when using ron95/97 fuel....

even chap in Fifth Gear show acknowledge this...normal city car and boosted performance car yield different result with different fuel in the test

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Interesting thing was, it was tested on a regular city car, an Astra or something, can't remember....definitely not high performance car with High CR. When they tested it with Ron 99 (or Ron 100, can't remember again), they got more power...so maybe Myvi can benefit from Ron 97?? XD

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Newer cars have knock sensors, and should readjust the timing to overcome the knock.
My old school all manual, if need to, have to manually adjust.....:hmmmm: but some mention will loose power because got to turn back the advance timing.....:banghead:

Performance engine then yes, because they require very high RON fuel....
meaning to say, I have to send my BLM to mechanic to adjust? Will lose power or not? :rofl:

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Not that u can feel the power increase... pointless... For RM1.1/L more if u think is worth it then is your money lo... Go pump v-power racing lo...

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

meaning to say, I have to send my BLM to mechanic to adjust? Will lose power or not? :rofl:
Less timing sure lose power n FC... What fuel u pump lately..? test with other fuel..?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
BLM quite new, but not sure if it comes with knock sensor. If yes, then no need to manual adjust....

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Not that u can feel the power increase... pointless... For RM1.1/L more if u think is worth it then is your money lo... Go pump v-power racing lo...

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Less timing sure lose power n FC... What fuel u pump lately..? test with other fuel..?
Exactly, will the power increase that much to pay extra RM1.1, even average at 45L per tank almost RM50 more per tank....:banghead:
V power Racing? that is another 30 sen premium over Ron 97, right?.....:rolleyes:

Lower the advance, will loose pick up also.....:banghead:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i buy those eneos 1 utama touch up paint.. which is in bottle form.
now the problem for me is i can`t get a thin layer of paint on the scratch part..
i using brush to do it .. not spray gun... since i don`t have spray gun -_-"
anyone can teach me how to get a thin layer?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience