Wash Engine Tragedy !

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Yesterday nite.. Shiok shiok, I send my car to the Car Wash and also ask them to cuci engine... :rolleyes:

Cilaka... My engine was too sparkling clean.. they even scrap some of the paint OFF my Engine Block colour.. (Which I took leave to DIY Spray it... :( ) and also scrap the black paint off my radiators... :ph34r:

WOAH !! :blink: :angry:

What ler... Now I need to spend my 1st day of RAYA holiday to re-spray my Rocker Cover.. :( and buy black paint for my Radiator... :(

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Forgot to mention..

After finish, I start my engine.. the car like gonna die like that... White smoke came out from the exhasut.. Sounded like when you start your car in Genting after parking for 3 days..

Then when drive.. No power.. RPM don't want to climb... :(

Have to warm up kau kau.. and drive around the highway to become normal again..

Washing engine like that one ah ?

Bert

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Muddy Delta
Visit site
Johnson,

Ur car is a carb rite? It is possible that some water either went into the carb or kena the distibutor... so after driving a while the heat probably evaporated the water off...

yolk

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
PJ
Visit site
also not forgetting usually they will use some very powerfull degreaser/almost acidic to clean of the dirt in the engine bay so i'm not suprised if your DIY spraying got washed off since you must have used normal spray not meant for automobile

vyruzj

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
Hmm.... maybe you should try those high temperature paint and a coat of protective layer (um.. dunno wat it is called). I think u can find those in DIY hardware shops (like ACE hardware...etc).

Alternatively, after spraying your rockercover, you can put it in an oven so that the paint 'eat' on your cover and won't come off (like those you see when people repaint their car in oven booth)

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Originally posted by Bert@Nov 21 2003, 10:33 AM
Johnson,

Ur car is a carb rite? It is possible that some water either went into the carb or kena the distibutor... so after driving a while the heat probably evaporated the water off...
Yup.. It's a carb...

Now, after parking under the sun and some driving.. The car acted normal again.. :)

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Originally posted by vyruzj@Nov 21 2003, 10:58 AM
Hmm.... maybe you should try those high temperature paint and a coat of protective layer (um.. dunno wat it is called). I think u can find those in DIY hardware shops (like ACE hardware...etc).

Alternatively, after spraying your rockercover, you can put it in an oven so that the paint 'eat' on your cover and won't come off (like those you see when people repaint their car in oven booth)
HI..

The coat of protective layer, is it an enamel or something ?

Haa... Maybe I can try bake it in my oven :) Should be easier :) Thanks.

Bert

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Muddy Delta
Visit site
I did my cover last time... used std spray painbt and on top of that I did a clear coat onto the rocker cover. Did 3 layers of clearcoat on it. Never came out when I used engien degreaser on my car. (I dont liek those car wash guys as they dunno hwo to cover the engine parts properly!)

Actually before you start, you should sand it lightly to make the surface rough so that the paint will bite better. Also forget the baking as the engine will be hotter than your oven! Thats a better baking tool!

Alternatives to maintain your engien now is to buy some light oil and spray it onto the engine. Use a cloth to wipe off all the oil and dirt.

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Hi Bert..

Thanks for the advice.
What clear coat did you use ? The Spraying type ? For Metal ?

thanks.

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
OK.. :)
Will do just that on Tuesday !!!
:)

Thanks..

headache

1,500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
Agree with Haltech! Those washers will simply tembak everywhere. If yours is a modern car with lots of electronics, it will die.

Johnson,
I think they sprayed water or detergent into your open pod filter. Some of the detergent they use are pretty corrosive and with the pressure gun, your paint will be affected. Worst still, some of them shops use diesel, which is a NO-NO.

Normally, I'll use those cleaning agents from the accessory shop. Those sprayed on and wipe type. Then, hose down and avoiding certain critical parts e.g. distributor and the electronic stuff. Cover them with plastic bags helps, too.

MugenR

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Johnsonlam : The meterial they use to spray to your engine bay is very strong... Smells bit like horse urine.. Wait till you see my Filter piping and my ex valve cover, shock you man... haha..
Better dun ask them to spray the chemical thing to your engine, just use normal sabun ok dy.
Cheers.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I would like to upgrade my Iswara Aeroback 1.3 to power steering. Any one could help me on the following :-

1. Where I can get it done ?
2. How Long will it take ?
3. How much ?
4. Will this upgrade increase my fc?

I'm planning to do this after CNY. TKS. All suggestion appreciated.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience