Walbro fuel pump

wsonny

Known Member
May 21, 2005
Ampang
Bro, is tat normal u can hear the whistle sound when u hav a Walbro fuel pump install in ur car. I just brought the secondhand v6 twin turbo and I heard very loud whistle sound from outside of the car.

I ask some fren they suggest me to change to Evo fuel pump. Does it fit to install on the perdana fuel tank or need to modified to fit in?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
It is normal. A running external pump can be heard.
To reduce noise, install it outside, under the boot.

It will be louder if installed in the cabin.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
high performance fuel pump doesnt matter in-tank style or external style WILL produce those whinning/whistle sound.....

if the engine still stock finding evo3/eterna original in-tank pump recommended, but if modded engine i suggest let it be....its the trade-off for power....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I thought many car enthusiast like the mechanical pump sound.

Reminds me of my fren who wanted so much to change to sport exhaust with bassy sound. After installation, he himself cant tahan with the boomy sound of the sport exhaust. Wifey cannot tahan and complaint, baby on board cannot sleep. NEighboor oso dont like the disturbing sound in the neighborhood. Lastly, changed back to ori exhaust.

wsonny

Known Member
May 21, 2005
Ampang
I think my engine still in stock condition, ori turbo setup only change open pod filter, boost controller and safc. Does I need the walbro pump?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
You should retain the walbro if you intend to upgrade and bump up the HP in the future. (Turbo is addictive and power is never enuf. hehe)
There is no harm retaining the walbro even for normal application. It is just that the pump isn't fully used (underused) of it capability.
If you could tolerate the sound, just keep the walbro. The sound is normal.

wsonny

Known Member
May 21, 2005
Ampang
Ok beside the sound of the pump, it is the fuel consumtion also will go higher compare wit normal pump.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
the uprated pump would not cause higher fuel consumption. Even though the flowrate is higher with the walbro, any surplus of fuel supply not used will be circulated/looped back in the fuel line.

Just another note, many ppl that have use an uprated pump did not realised that the electrical need to be upgraded as well. If standard electrical wiring is used, the uprated pump would possibly not be fully used of its capability.

Imagine you have a big water pump, but the water is only supplied through a small pipe.

wsonny

Known Member
May 21, 2005
Ampang
True also.... Now I hav to find a way to check my wiring see izzit the correct way or not.