VW Golf GTi Mk6

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Which of you poor souls own a VW Golf GTi Mk6? No, this thread isn't meant to be offensive. If you're offended please get out.

Share some ownership thoughts. Yes, its quite unfortunate given the diesel gate scandal, the stupidity of the after sales and service in Malaysia (all done by 3rd party dealers and none by VGM). But other than that, what other cons are there to ownership?

This car isn't stupid fast, not very slow either. I guess one of the benefits is the aftermarket support. If you want to go fast the K04 option is always there.

I think the key issue with this car.. its too much of an all rounded, jack of all trades, master of none.
Want to go to the track? The Megane will eat you.
Want to go to the drag strip? The Megane will still eat you.
Want to look cool? Well you're just a Golf with a silly badge and some ricey bumpers.

But I guess, being a jack of all trades, means the girlfriend/wife can live with it, since its "automatic". It has 4 doors and can seat 4 adults comfortably. It doesn't look like a race car.

I've never felt particularly fast in the Golf GTi Mk5 (brother owns one). He floors it and I go "meh". And look at 335i and G37 eat the GTi with ease. Of course, in Malaysia we'd probably be facing uncles in 2.5L/2.4L Accord and Camrys.

And, omg, Honda Civic 2016 1.5L Turbo does 0-100 in 6.8 seconds. The Golf GTi Mk6 does 0-100 in 6.9 seconds. New cars are getting stupid fast.

Is that Honda Civic 1.5L T coming to Malaysia? Anybody here works in Honda Malaysia?

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
i didnt own a golf bro.. but i always gets "dude, becareful this golf is a stage 2.. ohh wait.. another one is stage 3 brooo"..
and i would just say "so thats all your knowledge have about car and engine".. No offense here, but i feel like peoples just keep overrated golf gti.. anyway, i've never sit inside a golf either. so i'm just small pieces of noob...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Interesting topic. The Golf MK6 maybe a "meh" car, but it's a nice "meh" car compared to the alternatives at that price range. Since it's no longer a new car, we're talking 2nd hand pricing which hovers between 100k to 140k depending on condition and age. Japanese cars at that price range don't have the finesse imho and regardless of how you mod the competition, it'll still be 'meh' to drive compared to the MK6. Having driven the MK6 somewhat, I quite like the driving dynamics of it all. It's responsive, it feels solid, the spirited runs and corners are quite stable (especially with the 18" optional rims) and highway cruising is pretty awesome. Sure it's not as fast as the Megane and all that - but does it really matter? How often do you drive 0-100 at 6.9s anyway?

The 1.5L T Civic is not really a fair comparison. The MK6 is old - the Civic is a lot newer. And I'd rather the MK6 anyday. 1.5L-T probably will have to be revved to kingdom come a lot to squeeze out the power and the shell is probably a hollow lightweight shell. And typical Japanese interior quality is no match for German interior imho.

Having said that though - for approx 120k cash I can afford a decent condition stock Skyline R32/33/34 GTR. Or I could get a decent 316Ti BMW and plonk in a S3 engine and AC Snitzer 18" rims and still have loads of change for petrol.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Which of you poor souls own a VW Golf GTi Mk6? No, this thread isn't meant to be offensive. If you're offended please get out.

Share some ownership thoughts. Yes, its quite unfortunate given the diesel gate scandal, the stupidity of the after sales and service in Malaysia (all done by 3rd party dealers and none by VGM). But other than that, what other cons are there to ownership?

This car isn't stupid fast, not very slow either. I guess one of the benefits is the aftermarket support. If you want to go fast the K04 option is always there.

I think the key issue with this car.. its too much of an all rounded, jack of all trades, master of none.
Want to go to the track? The Megane will eat you.
Want to go to the drag strip? The Megane will still eat you.
Want to look cool? Well you're just a Golf with a silly badge and some ricey bumpers.

But I guess, being a jack of all trades, means the girlfriend/wife can live with it, since its "automatic". It has 4 doors and can seat 4 adults comfortably. It doesn't look like a race car.

I've never felt particularly fast in the Golf GTi Mk5 (brother owns one). He floors it and I go "meh". And look at 335i and G37 eat the GTi with ease. Of course, in Malaysia we'd probably be facing uncles in 2.5L/2.4L Accord and Camrys.

And, omg, Honda Civic 2016 1.5L Turbo does 0-100 in 6.8 seconds. The Golf GTi Mk6 does 0-100 in 6.9 seconds. New cars are getting stupid fast.

Is that Honda Civic 1.5L T coming to Malaysia? Anybody here works in Honda Malaysia?
You also another one getting itchy and tempted to buy due to the low used prices, are you? :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

Having said that though - for approx 120k cash I can afford a decent condition stock Skyline R32/33/34 GTR. ...
This one? :biggrin:
1990 Red Wine Nissan Skyline GTR R32 RB26 - Cars for sale in Others, Kuala Lumpur

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
You also another one getting itchy and tempted to buy due to the low used prices, are you? :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

This one? :biggrin:
1990 Red Wine Nissan Skyline GTR R32 RB26 - Cars for sale in Others, Kuala Lumpur
Yes. My balls getting itchy. And looking at it seriously. But the Golf is really common. Not as common as 3 series. But still. I like how you can easily make more power if you need it. Fuel consumption isn't horrid like AWD momsters. We don't need AWD in Malaysia, no snow.

But I always feel GTi has somewhat of a rice boy feel. If I'm driving one, probably de-badge it and put TSi badge on it. Not much of a sleeper once you step on it.

That R32 is not a car, it's a collectors item. I'd rather collect NSX, cause Senna. But I'd rather drive the R32.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

i didnt own a golf bro.. but i always gets "dude, becareful this golf is a stage 2.. ohh wait.. another one is stage 3 brooo"..
and i would just say "so thats all your knowledge have about car and engine".. No offense here, but i feel like peoples just keep overrated golf gti.. anyway, i've never sit inside a golf either. so i'm just small pieces of noob...
I think it's rated so highly because it's a well rounded hatchback that can be daily driven and yet deliver more than average fun, agility, performance. But it doesn't excel particularly at anything from what I've observed.

I guess the word here is balanced. A well balanced package. I wouldn't choose a manual for a daily driver because I'm lazy, DSG is the next best thing. The adaptive suspensions are nice, I'd probably leave the DCC in comfort mode most of the time.

But like I said, given today's competition of hot hatches, the Golf is warm at best. And toys like Megane is amazing. The new turbocharged Civic Type R? Mind blowing.

I can't think of any other car available here that offers what the Golf GTi has.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Interesting topic. The Golf MK6 maybe a "meh" car, but it's a nice "meh" car compared to the alternatives at that price range. Since it's no longer a new car, we're talking 2nd hand pricing which hovers between 100k to 140k depending on condition and age. Japanese cars at that price range don't have the finesse imho and regardless of how you mod the competition, it'll still be 'meh' to drive compared to the MK6. Having driven the MK6 somewhat, I quite like the driving dynamics of it all. It's responsive, it feels solid, the spirited runs and corners are quite stable (especially with the 18" optional rims) and highway cruising is pretty awesome. Sure it's not as fast as the Megane and all that - but does it really matter? How often do you drive 0-100 at 6.9s anyway?

The 1.5L T Civic is not really a fair comparison. The MK6 is old - the Civic is a lot newer. And I'd rather the MK6 anyday. 1.5L-T probably will have to be revved to kingdom come a lot to squeeze out the power and the shell is probably a hollow lightweight shell. And typical Japanese interior quality is no match for German interior imho.

Having said that though - for approx 120k cash I can afford a decent condition stock Skyline R32/33/34 GTR. Or I could get a decent 316Ti BMW and plonk in a S3 engine and AC Snitzer 18" rims and still have loads of change for petrol.
Look up the reviews on the Civic 2016 1.5T. It's benchmarked against BMW and the likes. The gearbox is a CVT. So far, the press have been raving about it, and it looks promising. But we won't know for sure until it hit the roads. Considering it'll cost slightly more than a used GTi, and we know Honda's handling won't be bad. It's really got a lot going for it. Let's wait and see.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yes. My balls getting itchy. And looking at it seriously. But the Golf is really common. Not as common as 3 series. But still. I like how you can easily make more power if you need it. Fuel consumption isn't horrid like AWD momsters. We don't need AWD in Malaysia, no snow.

But I always feel GTi has somewhat of a rice boy feel. If I'm driving one, probably de-badge it and put TSi badge on it. Not much of a sleeper once you step on it.

That R32 is not a car, it's a collectors item. I'd rather collect NSX, cause Senna. But I'd rather drive the R32.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

I think it's rated so highly because it's a well rounded hatchback that can be daily driven and yet deliver more than average fun, agility, performance. But it doesn't excel particularly at anything from what I've observed.

I guess the word here is balanced. A well balanced package. I wouldn't choose a manual for a daily driver because I'm lazy, DSG is the next best thing. The adaptive suspensions are nice, I'd probably leave the DCC in comfort mode most of the time.

But like I said, given today's competition of hot hatches, the Golf is warm at best. And toys like Megane is amazing. The new turbocharged Civic Type R? Mind blowing.

I can't think of any other car available here that offers what the Golf GTi has.

Hahaha, you're just like one colleague of mine in the office. He just bought a 2013 GTI about 4-5 mths ago. So far he has spent close to 4k on maintenance and repairs and seems to start regretting his purchase already! :biggrin: This car maintenance is not cheap, just try to ask/find out how much to buy its wiper rubber, you cannot get cheap generic stuff like those sold in Tesco/AEON anymore coz the sizes are unique! Last Christmas break, he got a engine check light scare while travelling out of KL, and after returning to KL the VW SC told him to replace the charcoal canister plus some other stuff, costing total more than 1.5k or something and not under warranty. Now he is experiencing slightly rough idle and the SC diagnose that it's the intake plenum problem which they said quite common for this GTI. Luckily it's under warranty but he's still waiting for his part to arrive. :biggrin: So far the DSG still fine.

So yeah, it's a pretty good car, decent look, good FC, practical, fast enough to outrun most cars in Malaysia except real performance cars, fun to drive, easy to boost the power, well balanced like you said. But just be prepared for those headache and pray you're the lucky ones who got a reliable car.

If you want practical powerful turbo car, how about the Subaru Impreza V10 automatic? (But I'm a bit partial too cause I'm already bored with FWD, so I'd take AWD any time any day over FWD no matter how good they are.)

As for the NSX, yeah if got tons of money I'd also get that because of Senna!

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Mk6 GTi already 211PS, daily driven more then enough. You won't be racing a Megane daily right?....hahha
If you buy and need parts, let me know. Intro you to parts importer......:biggrin:

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
there are much more choices out there to compete with golf gti.. focus st, mazda mps, civic 2016, audi s1, citroen ds3 etc.. and imho, all other manufacturer give much more option and package than golf gti could give.. its just so frustrated when people always overrated it..

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
In my honest, humble and fair opinion, i think the car is great. Sure there are other cars out there that are better in CERTAIN aspect. But seriously, if you want an everyday car, comfy enough (subjective), can fetch ppl, can go track, can touge......I think this car ticks all the box. I've driven this couple of times. To me, i cannot find fault with it.

Sure, a Megane is faster on track and straight line and handles better. But at a sacrifice of a 2 doors and stiffer ride and manual (this may not be a problem for some). There are also other cars that are more "engaging" to drive. But i mean, what is the purpose of the car? I mean if its going to be your daily, and you want a "all-in-one" car, i think this car is good. But if is a 2nd car for weekend use, then dont bother. Your options are soooo wide with the price of a Mk6 and you can get better rides and mods and with spare change (like Izso said). Also, mod parts are easily available.

Then the reliability issue. Well, i say is all luck. I have friends owning VW and have no problems. And of course, some has tons of problems. I even have a friend who drives a modded TSI 7-Spd dry dual clutch. No problems.

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
there are much more choices out there to compete with golf gti.. focus st, mazda mps, civic 2016, audi s1, citroen ds3 etc.. and imho, all other manufacturer give much more option and package than golf gti could give.. its just so frustrated when people always overrated it..
Focus ST is manual. And frankly, after sales service in Malaysia is worst than VW Malaysia. Unless you need 4 doors, Megane is the better choice if you're ok with manual.
Mazda MPS, torque steer, poor fuel economy, and not as refined as continental.
Civic 2016 is something to look out for, provided we can get the 1.5T.
Audi S1 is a terrible choice, problematic DSG 7. Plus it's slow. Even the Polo GTi is faster.
Citroen DS3 - you should do some research on the problematic Prince THP engine. It's like a plague.

The closest competitor I've observed so far is the BMW e90 320d. Less on horsepower, more on torque. Comparable price used.

Hahaha, you're just like one colleague of mine in the office. He just bought a 2013 GTI about 4-5 mths ago. So far he has spent close to 4k on maintenance and repairs and seems to start regretting his purchase already! :biggrin: This car maintenance is not cheap, just try to ask/find out how much to buy its wiper rubber, you cannot get cheap generic stuff like those sold in Tesco/AEON anymore coz the sizes are unique! Last Christmas break, he got a engine check light scare while travelling out of KL, and after returning to KL the VW SC told him to replace the charcoal canister plus some other stuff, costing total more than 1.5k or something and not under warranty. Now he is experiencing slightly rough idle and the SC diagnose that it's the intake plenum problem which they said quite common for this GTI. Luckily it's under warranty but he's still waiting for his part to arrive. :biggrin: So far the DSG still fine.

So yeah, it's a pretty good car, decent look, good FC, practical, fast enough to outrun most cars in Malaysia except real performance cars, fun to drive, easy to boost the power, well balanced like you said. But just be prepared for those headache and pray you're the lucky ones who got a reliable car.

If you want practical powerful turbo car, how about the Subaru Impreza V10 automatic? (But I'm a bit partial too cause I'm already bored with FWD, so I'd take AWD any time any day over FWD no matter how good they are.)

As for the NSX, yeah if got tons of money I'd also get that because of Senna!
Jesus talk about a series of unfortunate events. But yeah, those are kind of like draw of luck. Which is why I emphasise on after sales service being key, and of course, parts availability.

Subaru Impreza V10 automatic costs a lot more right? But I feel like kicking myself if I bought an automatic WRX.

Mk6 GTi already 211PS, daily driven more then enough. You won't be racing a Megane daily right?....hahha
If you buy and need parts, let me know. Intro you to parts importer......:biggrin:
That's absolutely true. I won't be racing a Megane at all, I'd just give way if it was behind me. It is meant to be a daily driver after all.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Personally though, if I had to choose a conti, I'd consider the Audi S4 over the VW Golf GTI. That's assuming I have the money to maintain the car. But if money were an issue I wouldn't be driving a conti.

No wait.. that's not true. This -----> JZ Sheer Driving Pleasure! - RaceNotRice

screw purists. I like best of both worlds. :biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Personally though, if I had to choose a conti, I'd consider the Audi S4 over the VW Golf GTI. That's assuming I have the money to maintain the car. But if money were an issue I wouldn't be driving a conti.

No wait.. that's not true. This -----> JZ Sheer Driving Pleasure! - RaceNotRice

screw purists. I like best of both worlds. :biggrin:
S4, road tax bro. RM2.2k every year for road "tax" is BS.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The closest competitor I've observed so far is the BMW e90 320d. Less on horsepower, more on torque. Comparable price used.

Jesus talk about a series of unfortunate events. But yeah, those are kind of like draw of luck. Which is why I emphasise on after sales service being key, and of course, parts availability.

Subaru Impreza V10 automatic costs a lot more right? But I feel like kicking myself if I bought an automatic WRX.
BMW 320d or 325i? They don't even have a dipstick to check the oil level, right? To me I'd not choose them as well due to possible big holes in my pocket during repairs. Some more when you drive BMW people will think you're damn loaded and hence they would try to whack you also when you want to repair things. But I suppose I'm not BMW level kind of guy yet, still just another poor bloke. :bawling:

Not just the after sales service and parts availability but the prices of parts too. When my friend told me the std original wiper rubber of his GTI costs a few hundred bucks and cannot find cheap generics like in Tesco, my jaw dropped to the floor! Same case when he told me about the charcoal canister. So in just 4 mths of ownership he had already spent almost 4k. In contrast with my Mark X, I haven't even spent 3k on repairs and maintenance in already almost 4 yrs of ownership! Of course I've spend a lot more on it but most of my spending were for upgrades, not repairing issues. So yeah, maintenance and repair cost for my car is very good so far but again it's a normal boring uncle sedan. :biggrin:

Hmm maybe on avg. the Impreza will cost more, or you'll get older car for the same price:
2013 Subaru Impreza STI 2.5 Version 10 DatoOwne(A) - Cars for sale in Lumut, Perak
2012 Subaru Impreza ver10 WRX STI 2.5(A) - Cars for sale in Puchong, Selangor
Subaru Impreza 2.5 (A) STI TURBO SPORT MODE 2014 - Cars for sale in Serdang, Kuala Lumpur
2014 Subaru Impreza 2.5 (A) - Cars for sale in Johor Bahru, Johor

Yeah, I got what you mean. Getting an Impreza or an Evo in automatic is like missing the point! :biggrin: But hey, if that fits your purpose then why not. FC might be a slight concern though.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
S4, road tax bro. RM2.2k every year for road "tax" is BS.
Like I said - if I were in the market for a Euro, money not-withstanding I'd go for the S4. But since money IS withstanding, BMW 3-series with 1JZ.

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
Not sure about the Imprezas, but EVO's fuel consumption is like.........slllurrrpp, getting 350 full tank is consider very lucky.