Upgrading Brake Systems

Sato

2,000 RPM
Jul 28, 2004
Dear forumers,

I am going to upgrade my car current brake system. At the moment, i had bought the calipers for the front and front disc rotors.....

I had some questions though.....

- What else should i change ? (hose ?)

- After upgrading the brake system, what kind of brake fluid should i use ? Dot 3 / Dot 4 ??

- The new brake systems is used items la, so the calipers is now bleeding some brake oil la....can i wash it ?

Thanks for advices...

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
hi,

wat car ?

if u r running Dot3...u can upgrade to Dot4...just make sure u bleed the brake system to ensure there is no more Dot3 inside...as Dot3 and Dot4 the boiling point is not the same.

for Dot4, u can use normal one or the performance one...normal Dot4 available at most of the spare part shop. my fren suggest use Bosch..not bad...for performance one, im using Motul..its not so expensive.

for brake hose, if ur current hoses r in good condition, not necesary to change it. but upgrade it to braided hose will improve ur braking response for sure.

for the caliper, which u mentioned the oil is bleeding...try not to wash it with water, just worry the water will seep/go inside...after fix it, just fully bleed it is ok...try to clean or exercise the piston to ensure it is not jam...u can use anti-rust for tat...but u will need another person to sit inside the car to help u pump the brake.

btw, ur current caliper is how many port? and the one u bought how many port?

Last edited:

Sato

2,000 RPM
Jul 28, 2004
hi,

wat car ?

if u r running Dot3...u can upgrade to Dot4...just make sure u bleed the brake system to ensure there is no more Dot3 inside...as Dot3 and Dot4 the boiling point is not the same.

for Dot4, u can use normal one or the performance one...normal Dot4 available at most of the spare part shop. my fren suggest use Bosch..not bad...for performance one, im using Motul..its not so expensive.

for brake hose, if ur current hoses r in good condition, not necesary to change it. but upgrade it to braided hose will improve ur braking response for sure.

for the caliper, which u mentioned the oil is bleeding...try not to wash it with water, just worry the water will seep/go inside...after fix it, just fully bleed it is ok...try to clean or exercise the piston to ensure it is not jam...u can use anti-rust for tat...but u will need another person to sit inside the car to help u pump the brake.

btw, ur current caliper is how many port? and the one u bought how many port?
Ohh..thanks for the advice. So it means i can get the calipers installed 1st even with the original brake hose. Later i can still upgrade it to braided hose rite ? But abit hassle .... need to change the brake oil again !

For the calipers, i can ask the person who is going to fit it to do the anti rust thing rite ? The reason i wanna clean the caliper is that i heard ppl said brake oil can make the paint goes off.....so....worry it would affect the calipers' paint !

My car is accord CF4, current caliper is DUNNO how many pot ! Hahahaa... it's original. The one that i bought is 4 pot, twin block....

boyzone, i dun think i'm going to upgrade the master brake pump la, i had it changed since last year i think....due to leakage....to brand new original one....cost me a bomb ! Had to ordered from Japan ~

It wouldn't affect my brake system rite ??

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
the hose n brake booster is optional..not necesary to change....

after fix the caliper....drive around n try to apply the brake....so u can make use of it......coz the braking effect is different before n after upgrade...

cheers

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
err... normally stock caliper should be single pot / either twin pot one..laa.
of coz, performance brake pad and tyre will play very important part for our braking performance.

Sato

2,000 RPM
Jul 28, 2004
Guys,

I wanna know if Spoon calipers do come with the brake pad clip or not ? After i installed the calipers, the brake pad seems moving around inside becoz it didn't have those clip to hold the pad.....

Any help on those ? Is it normal ? or i had something missing ?

Last edited:

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Dear all, i need some advice from you guys, pls help...

My car is wira, using 15 inches rim, can i install nissan 4-pot or mazda 4 pot (rx7) and change to smaller rotor? or EVO3 brake will do? cos some said although nissan brake is 4 pot but not really powerful... my question is as follow~

1. price of original evo 3 caliper & rotor (used)
2. price of any 4 pot caliper & rotor (used) can fit my car
3. price of better pad and bigger rotor for evo3 (pls indicate brand too)
4. is evo3 pad's size same as the 4pot caliper i mentioned?

Thank you so much for the help~

Sato

2,000 RPM
Jul 28, 2004
Are u using the right pad size?
It is the right size.....suppose there should have something to hold the brake pad to it's place....

I've sent my car to the mechanic....he said there's a thin plate holding the pad making it not moving around.....but i think the seller didn't give it to me....

Hmm....nevermind la.....my mechanic is trying to find it for me....

kenken

500 RPM
Oct 7, 2005
Ipoh
SATO, check your master cylinder. If the master cylinder is very small and you upgrade caliper to 4 pot, your pedal feeling will not be nice.

Sato

2,000 RPM
Jul 28, 2004
SATO, check your master cylinder. If the master cylinder is very small and you upgrade caliper to 4 pot, your pedal feeling will not be nice.
What is master cylinder ? Where is it located ? Pedal feeling....now is very strong....personally it's too strong....whenever i step on brakes, dunno how many G forces pushing u forward ! Hehehehe.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dynamic Code Protection. Anti Code Grabbing Technology
5 Button Ergonomically Designed Remote Transmitter for Expanded System Operation
Code Learning Receiver with Anti Scan Technology
Smart Sensor Microprocessor Controlled Dual Stage Shock Sensor with Pre Warning Signal
14 Programmable Options for Customizing System Operation
On Board Relay for Flashing Lights
Horn Honk Output (arm/disarm & prewarning)
Audible & Visual Arm / Disarm with Prior Intrusion Alert
Active , Passive or Full...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience