turbo noisy ?

funkydog

Known Member
hi , planning to turbocharge my k20, after losing to a 1.6 corolla weeks ago (duno wat he did , but its sure some serious S*** in it) ....

Last edited:
Turbos are normally 'quieter' NAs
Thats because the exhaust fumes have to run through the turbine first before being let out.

Say a straight piped NA engine of the same capacity as a straight piped turbo engine were to be compared; the turbo will give a lower rumble compared to the NA being more higher pitched.

so , do u mean tat even with Turbo , my car would sound almost like stock , if i dont use a straight-flow muffler.......

what about the open pod connected to turbo , will it sound like [open pod on NA car] , or much louder ?

i dont wanna make my car too loud , but a quiet n powerful car ...... like those TC or SC continental car

another funny Q i know , but pls help clarify my doubts ....

Thanks ...

no your car will never sound 'almost stock' anymore once you start upgrading the engine.

Remember this small saying before your start modding your car, "one must sacrifice one thing to get another"

Its the same as:
more power = you will consume more petrol
more engine output = the more fumes go out = the louder it will be
stiffer suspension = better handling = but harsher ride quality

its all about balance of things. Its just a matter of how far you want to take things

If u turbo it and exhaust like Ori, just a bit bigger... it will be like normal..
just like my L5T Auto using Ranspeed exhaust whole set (cheap one..hehehe)... no sound at all just my itchy hand change loud sound blow valve and make the car noisy when left off pedal...
As they mention.. nearly no noise at all...

when Turbo kicks in ..... is the sound like "whistling" like tat ?

when Turbo kicks in ..... is the sound like "whistling" like tat ?

If you are using all ori.. sure no whistling sound... especially the air filter...
If not still not satisfied the is a blow off the got no sound one...:biggrin:

Last edited:
another Q .... most TC car use open pod , connected to the turbine isit ?
den the sound of open pod on a TC car is louder than a NA open anot ?

this Q may seems stupid la ... but if u know , pls help ...

Thanks ..

Thanks ppl , 1 more Q , we do know that , Turbo normally kicks in at 3000 rpm ... lets say we drive from KL - JB .... cruising at 150km/h for 2-3 hours ....
at this speed , no way the rpm is lower than 3000.......

would the turbo be "kicking" throughout the journey ?
consume more petrol than normal cruising ?
and make the "turbo kick in" noise throughout the journey

Thanks

Actually turbo kicks or not is depends on your leg...
Boost meter will gave you the actual reading...dun over 0.1 bar is consider turbo is not working...hehehe... hope you understand..
Good Luck...

yup,agreed with mag.if u driving with the boost meter reading is "0",that's
mean the turbo is not kicking in yet.that will save u a lot of fuel compare
with driving on boost.