Toyota Vios n/a modification

Liang95

Aug 4, 2018
Hi guys, new member here, as a rookie to modification world, wanna ask is that any way to upgrade your car performance without turbo or supercharger modifications?
(cuz the maintaince and cost too much lol)
Besides, one of my friend recommd me to change the 1.8 throttle body, but there are others of my friend say it is not worth, any idea?
Last but not least, my car is 1st generation vios 06 year model (ncp42)

Attachments

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Honest opinion. Don’t bother. Save money and change car in the future.

N/A mods vs ROI in cost not worthwhile. Turbocharging is the best ROI, and significant.

A 3hp increase is like turning off your air con.

What you should do is buy the best tires you can afford. They are the best mod ever. You’ll even see more power* as good tires can put more power on the road instead of slipping.

Liang95

Aug 4, 2018

N/A mods vs ROI in cost not worthwhile. Turbocharging is the best ROI, and significant.

What you should do is buy the best tires you can afford. They are the best mod ever. You’ll even see more power* as good tires can put more power on the road instead of slipping.
Thanks for the advice. So honestly besides tyre, the others mod are not so recommended?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Thanks for the advice. So honestly besides tyre, the others mod are not so recommended?
Intake modification for a 1.5L NA engine, the gains will *feel* like full throttle with air con off. You try yourself and see is it significant difference?

Reason is the air con compressor will sap power from the engine. So free up the power to “simulate” the gain. And ask yourself can feel or not?

If you want to mod, start with tyres, and maybe strut bar. Handling stuff, and learn to control/drive better.

Trust me. I modded N/A, then I swapped a turbo engine in. The money I spend on N/A really gain very little. Turbo was a night and day difference.

Liang95

Aug 4, 2018
Intake modification for a 1.5L NA engine, the gains will *feel* like full throttle with air con off. You try yourself and see is it significant difference?

Reason is the air con compressor will sap power from the engine. So free up the power to “simulate” the gain. And ask yourself can feel or not?

If you want to mod, start with tyres, and maybe strut bar. Handling stuff, and learn to control/drive better.

Trust me. I modded N/A, then I swapped a turbo engine in. The money I spend on N/A really gain very little. Turbo was a night and day difference.
Ya, tried before with air corn off, no wonder thats a reason behind of it. Thruth revealed lol, btw just change rim and upgrade the adjustable last month, honestly speaking thats a huge difference before and after, but still thinking whats wanna spend next, ultra racing bar or exhaust system or enough mod.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Hi guys, new member here, as a rookie to modification world, wanna ask is that any way to upgrade your car performance without turbo or supercharger modifications?
(cuz the maintaince and cost too much lol)
Besides, one of my friend recommd me to change the 1.8 throttle body, but there are others of my friend say it is not worth, any idea?
Last but not least, my car is 1st generation vios 06 year model (ncp42)
Convert to manual gearbox. You get more power from your car while at the same time, your fuel consumption can be lower too.

Liang95

Aug 4, 2018
Convert to manual gearbox. You get more power from your car while at the same time, your fuel consumption can be lower too.
I wish to convert to manual, but sometimes my sister drive my car and she already forget how to drive manual lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I wish to convert to manual, but sometimes my sister drive my car and she already forget how to drive manual lol
The highest performance gain should be from a manual conversion as you can actually utilize more power from your engine into your wheels. But since this option is out, then you need to look at other things.

Perhaps a full exhaust system with a 4-2-1 extractor, centre midbox/resonator, larger piping diameter by maybe 0.2 to 0.4 inch larger than stock piping size and a S-flow muffler. Don't bother much about air filter mods despite what many will say. Some of them are expensive and really it doesn't make as much difference compared to an exhaust system mod. For better response, you can consider looking at tweaking the ignition timing. Depending on how you set up the timing, it really can make the engine response different. At least that is how it is for my old engine with distributor ignition system.

Liang95

Aug 4, 2018
The highest performance gain should be from a manual conversion as you can actually utilize more power from your engine into your wheels. But since this option is out, then you need to look at other things.

Perhaps a full exhaust system with a 4-2-1 extractor, centre midbox/resonator, larger piping diameter by maybe 0.2 to 0.4 inch larger than stock piping size and a S-flow muffler. Don't bother much about air filter mods despite what many will say. Some of them are expensive and really it doesn't make as much difference compared to an exhaust system mod. For better response, you can consider looking at tweaking the ignition timing. Depending on how you set up the timing, it really can make the engine response different. At least that is how it is for my old engine with distributor ignition system.
Thats something new for me as the ignition timing, as for the extractor, I research that there are 4-2-1 and 4-1, is that any difference on mod?
Besides that, is that any effect if change throttle body to a larger one(1.8) ?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Upgrading to larger TB will increase air intake but again as Ixeo mentioned, the gain is marginal only. For NA engines, you need to do almost end-to-end mods from intake to full exhaust plus some remapping to start feeling a decent gain and by then you'd already spent quite a lot of money. Since your car is an auto, that's even worse because what ever gain that you get will get masked more by the sluggish automatic. I'm not saying you should not mod, but I guess you should not set your expectation too high.

I also agree with Ixeo that the best mod and the easiest you can do for your car is get the best high performance tire available for your size. That will improve your car handling and cornering significantly. Then slightly stiffer suspension with thicker antiroll bars should be enough to help you have a bit more fun in the car, plus feeling more safe and stable in the process too. Next should be braking, especially if your stock brakes are not so good. Handling and braking are more important mods than power. Only after you got those sorted out then only start thinking about power mods.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

I remember one member mentioned, send his myvi for dyno. With and w/o air con there was a 10bhp lost......lol

Reactions: sanekit

Liang95

Aug 4, 2018
Upgrading to larger TB will increase air intake but again as Ixeo mentioned, the gain is marginal only. For NA engines, you need to do almost end-to-end mods from intake to full exhaust plus some remapping to start feeling a decent gain and by then you'd already spent quite a lot of money. Since your car is an auto, that's even worse because what ever gain that you get will get masked more by the sluggish automatic. I'm not saying you should not mod, but I guess you should not set your expectation too high.

I also agree with Ixeo that the best mod and the easiest you can do for your car is get the best high performance tire available for your size. That will improve your car handling and cornering significantly. Then slightly stiffer suspension with thicker antiroll bars should be enough to help you have a bit more fun in the car, plus feeling more safe and stable in the process too. Next should be braking, especially if your stock brakes are not so good. Handling and braking are more important mods than power. Only after you got those sorted out then only start thinking about power mods.
Thanks for the advise, mayb I will go for the handling first rather than performance parts.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Thats something new for me as the ignition timing, as for the extractor, I research that there are 4-2-1 and 4-1, is that any difference on mod?
Besides that, is that any effect if change throttle body to a larger one(1.8) ?
4-2-1 gives more torque on low to mid range RPM while 4-1 will shows its performance gain on mid to high range RPM. As your automatic is not as rev happy as manual, I think 4-2-1 should benefit you more in this case. Like my own car for example, after I changed to 4-2-1 extractor, the low range RPM power is much better than before. Not just talking about pure performance, but even during normal driving, I find it easier and takes less effort to get the car going. I can be light with the throttle and still get the car going without problem.

I think by changing the throttle body, it will only affect your intake air flow slightly. Doesn't make much of a difference and throttle body is a very expensive part to replace if you are going for reputable brands. Spend the amount elsewhere like on a full exhaust system or on tyres like 6UE5t mentioned will allow you to feel more difference than changing the throttle body.

Throttle body change can be left for later. I think for a start, it is better for you to try out something that you really can feel the changes in performance instead of something that makes very little difference.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We’ve been hearing a lot about Honda’s upcoming hybrid-only model that is supposed to go head-to-head with the Toyota Prius. Honda CEO, Takeo Fukui, is now out and about speaking very confidently of Honda’s upcoming hybrid plans. First of all, Fukui feels that Honda suffered a huge misstep by rolling out a hybrid version of its Civic instead of a hybrid-only model.

“The real competition has just begun,” Fukui...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience