Dear all,
I've been bothered by this for quite some time, as far as I know,
ignition advance would mean moving the ignition timing further away
from BTDC and retard would be getting it closer to BTDC. After
referring to most of the maps uploaded here, I've noticed that most,
or rather all the maps that I've seen had their ignition timing
retarded. I've sent my car for dyno tune recently and the tuner
advance all the timings from 3-6deg. I gained only about 2hp with
this setting. I'm driving a 4g18 SOHC NA Engine.

My question is, where do most factory ecu set their ignition timing
at with reference to BTDC? I've came across one article which says
around 10 - 12 deg BTDC. Since most(or literally all) of the maps
here had their timing retarded, I would also like to remap the
piggyback with retarded timing. Any advice on this?

Thanks
Jeff

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
Advancing the ignition means lighting the AF mixture sooner. In this case, as you put it "closer" to TDC.

Retarding igntion means lighting the AF after TDC. IN this case, ideally for Forced Induction applications.

You probably misunderstood the defination of advance / retard.

Last edited:

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Well technically closer to or further from TDC depends on whether your ignition is originally ATDC or BTDC. :p

Advanced timing moving it away from BTDC would be correct.

As for the question, wouldnt retarded timing be benficial for only semi-heavily tuned engines? And only because they cannot safely support a more advanced ignition timing without pinging at high load...

Combustion would just take way too long to complete on higher loads for an average engine if the timing is retarded too much, IMO. Less piston wear though I suppose.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
but if ignite BTDC, it will oppose the movement of the piston... thus, cancelling out the inertia and the explosion force...

i guess the range is from TDC to ATDC.... BTDC cannot be arr...

correct me if wrong...

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
At high revs ignition BTDC might be necessary, infact most modern engines idle with the ignition BTDC.
Else, before the combustion reaches its significant level, the piston has already travelled downwards by a lot.

Combustion is a kind of fluid movement which takes time to happen compared to the mechanical movement of the piston, hence ignition before TDC. But we're talking only very small degrees though, ignition still happens when the piston is very close to TDC.

At very high revs, piston travel speed is so fast its quite unbelievable... to the extent where an explosion cannot catch up. It is also on such principles of the 'slowness' of combustion and gas movements that valve overlapping work on.

Pinging / knocking is what happens with what you mentioned, the timing too advanced igniting the fuel to create an opposing force against the piston.

As far as I know lah, correct me if Im wrong.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Skylines has always been one of my passions. The look of the car, the engine as well as the whole experience of it just gave me an indescribable feeling of excitement. I'm sure many share the same feeling to Skylines especially the GT-Rs. I'm blessed on having a BNR32 as my weekend driver but it does not compare to a friend who not only have a similar BNR32, but with a slightly different engine under the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience