Thoughts on the Waja 1.6 Auto

andlfloh

Oct 16, 2006
Since buying a used Waja 1.6 (on the road 2002) just about a month ago for about RM15 K, I have been wondering why Waja has such poor resale value. The original Waja 1.6 auto price in year 2000 was RM64K and after 12 years has depreciated almost 80%. Of course this is true also of Continental cars and of Korean cars. The depreciation of the Waja is due to its replacement by Proton new Saga and Persona, also the Preve and the Campro models.
Before I bought it, I was looking at the Myvis and Vivas for used offers, but realised that, despite their updated engines with new technology, their bodies are tin-plate soft and offer little protection even on minor impact. Of course Myvi and Viva owners will say that their delicate body parts make for lightness and so for good fuel consumption. But that is not for me.
After a good study of the Waja 1.6 auto, reading through the posts by many Waja owners on different websites, I realise that many complaints were about minor body components - failing power windows, plastic parts here and there. True: for a RM60k sedan, Proton should have given buyers better value in terms of body components. But these complainants missed the big picture, which is the Mitsubishi 4G18 engine and the gearbox and everything else under the hood: these are the items which give the Waja the value. The Waja body is pretty solid compared with that of the newer models.
As a user of another Proton car before I bought the Waja, I have found the Satria 1.5 UK specs another good buy as a used car. I bought it five years ago for RM9K; it was a 1998 on-the-road car. Its Mitsubishi engine was exceptionally quiet, purring like a cat on the run. I am still keeping it for outstation use, having fitted it with NGV, which gives me 12-15 km per ringgit.
I am thankful to all those who posted their comments on the Waja. They have made me aware of the bad points about the Waja 1.8, to avoid this model. They have also enlightened me on the negatives of the Campro engine as used on the Waja. They taught me that the Waja is better than the Wira. It has been great to learn from older and more experienced users of the Waja 1.6 auto before I made the decision to get one for myself.
I had to spend some months looking for a good used Waja 1.6 auto. I have travelled far to look at advertised Wajas for sale in Penang and Ipoh - just remember I am from Melaka. I learned that good offers advertised on Mudah.com and other websites - these offers are grabbed by locals in these towns. So even if I phoned up and made appointments, I would be too late. I found that Car agents and salesmen promise more than they can deliver; some details about the cars they advertise are inaccurate, especially about the mileage and the year of manufacture. Some mistakes on adverts are typos, and some typos are done on purpose, unfortunately.
I was fortunate one day to see a Waja 1.6 auto advertised in my hometown. I phoned the advertiser, a direct owner and was the first to view the car. This is the car I bought.
Great to share this Waja experience with you all.

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
FYI, few friends driving a 10 years old Waja 4G18 growing fonder of their car they vowed to used it until its lifespan end.
Right now, 1 already reach 405k km with only top overhaul done. 1 has 289k km on the odometer and not even top overhaul yet.
Few other reaching 200k km with no sign of leakage and the auto gearbox is still going strong.
with proper TLC, the engine and gearbox is very reliable but wear and tear parts like suspension, power window, oil seal leakage before due change and fuel pump need to be taken care of.
Aesthetic looks aside, Waja 4G18 actually more driveable in town due to the SOHC nature compare to the DOHC Campro or CPS variant
where the torque is only available at higher rpm. Campro CPS make a good highway cruiser and quite good going uphill though.

andlfloh

Oct 16, 2006
FYI, few friends driving a 10 years old Waja 4G18 growing fonder of their car they vowed to used it until its lifespan end.
Right now, 1 already reach 405k km with only top overhaul done. 1 has 289k km on the odometer and not even top overhaul yet.
Few other reaching 200k km with no sign of leakage and the auto gearbox is still going strong.
with proper TLC, the engine and gearbox is very reliable but wear and tear parts like suspension, power window, oil seal leakage before due change and fuel pump need to be taken care of.
Aesthetic looks aside, Waja 4G18 actually more driveable in town due to the SOHC nature compare to the DOHC Campro or CPS variant
where the torque is only available at higher rpm. Campro CPS make a good highway cruiser and quite good going uphill though.
Thanks for your sharing on the Waja 1.6. Can you give a bit more info on when you bought your Waja, how much, etc.. Looks like you bought it used. Amazing that its engine does not need top overhaul after such a great mileage.

AlucarD

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
The waja is a workhorse!! If taken care the 4G18 is quite bulletproof. A very reliable daily driver with a large boot a resonable interior. Definitely a must consider if you are looking for a used car around 20+k

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for your sharing on the Waja 1.6. Can you give a bit more info on when you bought your Waja, how much, etc.. Looks like you bought it used. Amazing that its engine does not need top overhaul after such a great mileage.
I am just sharing an experience regarding on few friends' which is driving a Waja 4G18.
Just like you, they all grow fond of their ride over the time. Its really amazing when those Waja with such a high mileage doesn't even require a full overhaul.
Here is their tips to share : Regardless of using semi or fully synthetic, service done at 6k km.
ATF at 18k or 20k km interval and to maintain the fuel pump, always refill when you still left a quarter of petrol in your tank. Never wait till the fuel warning light turn on as Waja fuel pump is sensitive.

kohf1driver

Jun 26, 2011
Johor bahru
The 2004 ev (enhance version) had better interior panel
Less rattling compare to older model

Engine mounting & suspension bushes change every 5 year could make your ride smooth & quite as "new"

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
agree on all points. except the car is pretty old now. the handling is among the top of its class during its time. still better than today's cars like Myvi lol. if you call that a car.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Open advertising markets overseas makes for very interesting viewing especially in regards to automotive ads. For one thing, it definitely adds some spice compared to the local ads we get with a certain car going up against the dreaded ‘Competitor-X.’

The last major one we saw ended with Mini being handed their petite ass’s on a fine piece of...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience