The Most Fuel Efficient Performance Car In The Local Market?

SubVerSiv

Known Member
With the local petrol price allegedly going to go up as high as RM4 in the near future, and the interest rate for car loan will be increased, Malaysians will pay more attention to mpg or L/100 km figures the next time they read a car sales brochure. As the demand for more fuel efficient cars increases, it is only logical to assume that the demand and value of fuel inefficient cars will go down.

Let's make a list of performance cars based on it's fuel consumption (manufacturer's claim only):

1. BMW 530d E60 (Automatic Sports Transmission) 235bhp@1750rpm - 6.4 L/100 km (combined): netmatrix
2. Lotus Exige-S (Manual) 218bhp@7800rpm - 9.1 L/100 km: jinkl
3. Toyota Altezza RS200 (Manual) 210bhp@7600rpm - 9.7 L/100 km
4. Honda Civic Type R FD2 (Manual) 222bhp@8000rpm - 12.7 L/100 km: ravingill
5. Nissan Fairlady 350Z (Manual) 306bhp@6800rpm - 14.9 L/100 km (city), 10.9 L/100 km (highway)
6. Mitsubishi Evo IX FQ-300 (Manual) 305bhp@6950rpm - 16.9 L/100 km (urban), 12.0 L/100 km (extra urban), 13.8 L/100 km (combined)

Feel free to add.

Most Outstanding 'Look-At-Me-Look-At-Me-I'm-Clever-And-Facts-Are-Nonsense' Comment So Far:
"Nonsense thread The words "performance" and "fuel efficient" CANNOT coexist"
- prolog

Last edited:
You can't get more hp without more fuel. generally speaking.

Try not eating for a day, and see if you can work like usual.

more power means more fuel consumption...so if u wanna get a high performance car but worry bout the fuel consumption then it is wise that u think twice before getting them...it's not only the fuel price that u'll have to worry about but the maintenance as well...

Hmm yes more performance = more fuel but if u get it for once in a while fun then most of the time drive decent speed say +/- 110 shud be ok? jus my1 cents

if u want performance, dont think of fuel saving...

if u want fuel saving, dont think of performance car...

Nonsense thread

The words "performance" and "fuel efficient" CANNOT coexist

If you can afford to buy sports cars like GTR, porshe.. forget about fuel consumption.

hmm , in this century , performance & fuel efficiency can be related
its not the old days where not much technology exist

more power more consumption ?

ganf : u cant really say drive 110 etc for better fuel consumption, its about gear ratio

prolog : do not say its a non sense thread , if u r a pro , u tell me, how much does a VVT-i , i-Vtec-i , Vanos help in terms of consumption

whts the optimum AFR on a I-Vtec-I tuned for ? is it the same as normal cars ? do you even know this technology ? isnt the I-Vtec-I created to give an optimum engine power with only 65:1 AFR ?

which factory fitted cars have Wideband close looped to compensate when u cruise the highway , doesnt tht save consumption ?

doesnt the CDI technology offer better consumption with leaner air fuel ratio , doesnt that reduce consumption ? compared to a sports car with an optimum AFR of 14.5:1 to a 20:1 using CDI technology ?

shoot facst guys , not empty replies without facts , a GTT R34 for an example compared to a GTR R34 , which one gives better consumption on the highway on a relax mode ? do u know ? u said more performance , more petrol , but how bout in a relax mode ? hw does a sports car with 6 speed GTR be more beneficial compared to a 5 speed GTT on a highway cruise ?

hw bout sports cars equiped with same technology as the Modular Displacement ? isnt that supposed to save fuel ?

so in conlusion , guys, shoot ur facts rite , yes a GTT 250hp compared to a tuned up GTT300hp car , u can say the more powered one has higher consumption , u cant say a 280hp RX7 has a same consumption as 280hp evo rite ? so the thread starter is asking for feedbacks on performance cars with factory claimed consumption, he doesnt need crap like "nonsense thread" or "more power more fuel" crap :) , move towards a more intelligent discussion rather than a "Lets give the thread creator a headshot" , its not nonsense , u r the one posting nonsense because u dnt have the facts.

i too wish to have a sports car with a superb consumption for daily drive and turn into a beast if I want to , with technologies available, its not imposible.

Last edited:
let say u compare a Porshe boxter with a golf GTI

a GTI will have
24 miles per gallon average
while a porshe boxter has the same claim
23 miles per gallon average

so where goes ur more power more fuel concept now ?
the boxter is a 2.7 litre inline 6 compared to a inline 4 turbocharged ?
the boxter is even more powerfull than the GTI isnt it ?

so wht ur concept now ? isnt it technology ?
the GTI uses CDI techology while the porshe uses something else

if u want performance, dont think of fuel saving...

if u want fuel saving, dont think of performance car...

i would say , if you want performance + consumption , select the correct build and car :)

isnt a Lotus Exige-S a performance car yet a economical car :P

look at it, it has 210+ bhp , performance awesome , top speed 230kmh+, supercharged , 0-100 about 4 seconds , with consumption that very very good ? its not a VVTi or VVTL. Its a VVTL-i which stands for intelligence, which means TECHNOLOGY

its mileage ? 11.7 litres/100km for City and 9.74litres/100km on highway

how is it compared to the Porshe Boxter

well i wud go with jinkl on this....the thread starter just wants info...not flaming.....i mean if u guys dunoe how to explain with facts like how jin did dun bother coz its just a waste of space on this thread....

by d way my friend drives a honda civic type r (fd2) the latest one he claims the fuel consumption is not bad for a car with tht kind of performance ....i car with all the latest tech will help safe fuel .....but the rule still applies tht if u floor the throtle ur goin to burn more fuel...but if ur relax driving u can get the optimum fuel consumption !!

my point is try and do as much research as u can through the internet....they will be reviews on the car....read up do ur homework....thn make ur decision bro !!

This is gonna be never ending argument.

For those ppl out there, just buy the car, model and the price you want.
"Your money, you car", right?

Afterall, its a free market la. Nobody force anybody at gun point when buying a car.

i would say , if you want performance + consumption , select the correct build and car :)

isnt a Lotus Exige-S a performance car yet a economical car :P

look at it, it has 210+ bhp , performance awesome , top speed 230kmh+, supercharged , 0-100 about 4 seconds , with consumption that very very good ? its not a VVTi or VVTL. Its a VVTL-i which stands for intelligence, which means TECHNOLOGY

its mileage ? 11.7 litres/100km for City and 9.74litres/100km on highway

how is it compared to the Porshe Boxter

but but... thats a road going go-kart... not a car...

anyway, jz watched top gear season 11 episode 1... now i understand what this topic meant... lolz..

yala, jz buy R8... dun buy ferrari...

i've watch top gear too. m3 fuel consumption is better than prius at the same speed. but at that speed the prius is already all out.

i've watch top gear too. m3 fuel consumption is better than prius at the same speed. but at that speed the prius is already all out.

yea.... prius is only fuel saving at its moderate speed... if drive all out on prius, it relys mainly on fossil fuel... 4 pot engine with such huge body (MPV) will be reasonably thirsty...

Buying a RM200k-400k worth of sport car but need to save the RM2.70 - RM5 /L worth of fuel?

Last edited:
Buying a RM200k-400k worth of sport car and making sure it's value won't plunge like a Fiat.