TD05 conversion - need help for fan size

carnetics

Hey guys.

I'm collecting parts for the TD05 conversion. I want to change both the 14 inch fans. How thin must the new fans be to clear the turbo? Any aftermarket thin radiator fan can use?

For the guys in NZ, any chance of showing me what to use? I want to keep both fans just in case.

Will start a thread for my build soon. Poacher is helping me with the tune. Will do a proper build thread.

This didn't help bro? This is what Ah Wah did to mine.

attachment.php

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

The fan motor is abt 0.5" from the turbo. I know it's quite close compared to stock.

Hi guys,

I'm in the same situation now as I have just finished my TD05 conversion on the weekend. Unfortunately I could not keep the factory A/C fan (pictured in stutzedwards pics above) as it hits the wastegate actuator.. I cant see any way to modify the mountings for any more clearance. I did try cutting off some of the lower part of the back of the fan but it still hits the actuator.
So I have temporarily removed the fan and not using the AC or driving in any traffic until I find a replacement fan and wondering what size fan would fit on the front of the A/C radiator. 10" maybe?

The power with the TD05 (evo 4) is good though, first couple of runs around 17-18psi (max on stock injectors) and I hit 178KW at the wheels on virtual dyno :)

Yup, TD05 is nice with open roads. Drawback is turbo lag but when it comes, it pulls all the way. It was especially very noticible in hill climbing compared to TD04. I'm happy when I get behind the wheels since I upgraded.

Hi guys,

I'm in the same situation now as I have just finished my TD05 conversion on the weekend. Unfortunately I could not keep the factory A/C fan (pictured in stutzedwards pics above) as it hits the wastegate actuator.. I cant see any way to modify the mountings for any more clearance. I did try cutting off some of the lower part of the back of the fan but it still hits the actuator.
So I have temporarily removed the fan and not using the AC or driving in any traffic until I find a replacement fan and wondering what size fan would fit on the front of the A/C radiator. 10" maybe?

The power with the TD05 (evo 4) is good though, first couple of runs around 17-18psi (max on stock injectors) and I hit 178KW at the wheels on virtual dyno :)

how about using front mounted fan instead to replace the one u removed earlier?

Some feedback on this - I got a 10" aftermarket fan to try yesterday to mount in front of the A/C radiator but couldnt get it to fit in the gap between the front chassis rail / bulkhead and the A/C radiator (was not slimline enough)

What I ended up doing was going back to the using the original fan, cutting the 2 tabs off the top of the fan, drilling 2 holes in the fan shroud to mount it approx 60mm higher than it sat before.

I then had to drill another hole on the other fan to bolt the side of it to stop the fan & shroud moving back and forward.

It's only temporary as a test but it does now clear the wastegate actuator (sits above it) so hopefully nothing melts!

I'm now thinking this may be what was done with Stutzedwards fan in the pic above?

If you run only one fan and still use A/C I would presume things could get pretty hot under the hood on a hot day in traffic even if you run the main fan at 100%....

I have been running mine for a few months now without the second fan, i get in traffic and use the aircon too LOL. Seems to be fine. It did get pretty hot as i didn't have a heat shield. Russell, based on pics i have seen of your install you don't have a heat shield either? Highly recommend it makes quite a big difference to heat rising under the hood. My temp has never gone past middle, and that's auckland traffic with aircon on. I will get a fan or mod the original one at some stage because the aircon does take a while to cool down more than usual now :(.

Bro, the original water temp meter is purposely meant to be un-sensitive. You don't know the actual temperature. As far as I know, a OBDII reader will tell. Any temp from 70c-100c, the original water temp guage still pointing middle. If the stock water temp meter moves to red, it's ALREADY OVERHEATING! So better to get a aftermarket water temp to read your actual water temp.

i use big Evo 9 turbo . using Toyota 1jz Fan by bending a bit of it legs to fit in ~ have a try ~

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom