Steel braided brake hose ..

satria81

500 RPM
Sep 19, 2005
PETALING JAYA
HI everyone,

could you please share thoughts on replacing stock brake hoses to steel braided hoses

would there be any immediate difference of better braking ?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Yup, can feel the difference. Better response for sure. Cheaper option is to cable tie the stock rubber brake hose :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
HI everyone,

could you please share thoughts on replacing stock brake hoses to steel braided hoses

would there be any immediate difference of better braking ?
Depends on the age of your stock brake hoses.

My old Wira was 7 years old before I swapped to steel braided hoses and the swap was because the hoses expanded a lot each time I pressed the brake pedal which resulted in unresponsive or spongy braking. So in the case of an old worn out hose swap - yes it's useful.

My Myvi on the other hand had it swapped out when the car was just 3 years old and that made no difference whatsoever. The original hoses were still firm and solid so comparing that with the steel hoses didn't really make much of a difference.

There's something you have to be wary of with braided hoses, the wheel arches are the dirtiest parts of the car, stones, dust and all might get stuck between the braiding and over time may cause leaks. You don't want your brakes to leak. So either look for hoses that have a protective coating or keep your wheel arches clean. My Myvi has been on the hoses for 5 years now and my Wira's one is still going strong (cars already sold).

satria81

500 RPM
Sep 19, 2005
PETALING JAYA
Depends on the age of your stock brake hoses.

My old Wira was 7 years old before I swapped to steel braided hoses and the swap was because the hoses expanded a lot each time I pressed the brake pedal which resulted in unresponsive or spongy braking. So in the case of an old worn out hose swap - yes it's useful.

My Myvi on the other hand had it swapped out when the car was just 3 years old and that made no difference whatsoever. The original hoses were still firm and solid so comparing that with the steel hoses didn't really make much of a difference.

There's something you have to be wary of with braided hoses, the wheel arches are the dirtiest parts of the car, stones, dust and all might get stuck between the braiding and over time may cause leaks. You don't want your brakes to leak. So either look for hoses that have a protective coating or keep your wheel arches clean. My Myvi has been on the hoses for 5 years now and my Wira's one is still going strong (cars already sold).
Hi Izso,

appreciate the insight.

the reason for me to opt for the steel braided hoses is because my brakes are biting very well only during the first few minutes when I move my car after a cold start and then after upon heating up, the brakes aren't biting much or well

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Yup, can feel the difference. Better response for sure. Cheaper option is to cable tie the stock rubber brake hose :biggrin:
lol !

I wouldn't use cable ties ever on the hoses

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
for normal driving, like in KL traffic, start-stop situation dont really feel the difference.
Spirited driving and stopping can feel abit with those hoses.

BTW, what brand you are looking at?

Even changing (with good bleeding) to fresh brake fluid could improve brake feel.

Last edited:

satria81

500 RPM
Sep 19, 2005
PETALING JAYA
of course there is better response.
tx, being hopeful

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

for normal driving, like in KL traffic, start-stop situation dont really feel the difference.
Spirited driving and stopping can feel abit with those hoses.

BTW, what brand you are looking at?
tx ken yeang,

I do not have any brand on mind.

what would you suggest ?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
tx, being hopeful

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

tx ken yeang,

I do not have any brand on mind.

what would you suggest ?
Some say SuperCircuit, but for me I use Pro-RS im satisfied. Unless yours is performance car like your profile photo. Then many seems to suggest Goodridge but some claim Pro-RS is good enough.

satria81

500 RPM
Sep 19, 2005
PETALING JAYA
the cable tie does work on cars but not suggested to use on performance cars, for wira, myvi, viva etc...then ok la.
I would not use cable ties :)

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Some say SuperCircuit, but for me I use Pro-RS im satisfied. Unless yours is performance car like your profile photo. Then many seems to suggest Goodridge but some claim Pro-RS is good enough.
this is for my proton satria 1997 model. noted on PRO-RS

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Hi Izso,

appreciate the insight.

the reason for me to opt for the steel braided hoses is because my brakes are biting very well only during the first few minutes when I move my car after a cold start and then after upon heating up, the brakes aren't biting much or well

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

lol !

I wouldn't use cable ties ever on the hoses
without test driving the car, i cant say what exactly wrong.
however since u said its for a 97 satria then u might want to inspect the whole braking system esp for leaks.
if your hose swell,it should be spongy everytime,hot just when hot.

if u havent change the brake fluid for a very long time,u might want to do that as its an old car.
use reputable brand's fluid.Original Bosch DOT 4 is one good example of affordable good fluid.Not sure if its available in DOT 3 form.

if its for normal driving then standard hose is enough.
Stock hose will go for less than rm100 for all corner.

if your rear is on drum brakes then adjust the brake shoe properly.is does help braking a bit.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I would not use cable ties :)

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

this is for my proton satria 1997 model. noted on PRO-RS
Is a good investment to replace rubber hoses...I have been using it for many years till date. No issues so far.

Kopi

500 RPM
May 18, 2004
Cheras
Visit site
between rubber or braided hose : it is much more practical to have high temp tolerant brake pads or progressive brake rotors.
I've changed mine to braided from Pro-RS and the only benefit there is : static braking pressure on the pedal. No spongy feels.
That spongy feels you get from rubber hose is not much of an issue in braking unless you're doing some very serious racing needing you to dump the brake hard very late before cornering or evasive braking, VERY FREQUENT. i changed mine for the 'suka-suka' factor, curious with braid hose functionality, voila... not much contribution compared to rubber hose. Even if it can stand high hydraulic oil pressure : if the pad or rotor went overheat... you lose the brake no matter how much you pump the pedal or get standing on the pedal.

Concerned with braking performance? Brake pads and rotor. Or bigger brake kit.

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
between rubber or braided hose : it is much more practical to have high temp tolerant brake pads or progressive brake rotors.
I've changed mine to braided from Pro-RS and the only benefit there is : static braking pressure on the pedal. No spongy feels.
That spongy feels you get from rubber hose is not much of an issue in braking unless you're doing some very serious racing needing you to dump the brake hard very late before cornering or evasive braking, VERY FREQUENT. i changed mine for the 'suka-suka' factor, curious with braid hose functionality, voila... not much contribution compared to rubber hose. Even if it can stand high hydraulic oil pressure : if the pad or rotor went overheat... you lose the brake no matter how much you pump the pedal or get standing on the pedal.

Concerned with braking performance? Brake pads and rotor. Or bigger brake kit.
dont forget good tyres. No point having good brakes but botak tyres.
Having ABS could makes difference with the braking.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Here is a Little DIY to fix your Faded Headlamps.

While driving around I have Noticed alot of Cars in Malaysia , that have this Problem , So rather than replace the Lights , it could be Fixed using this Tested Method , Have Done this on Many Civics , Mercs , Audis , and it works Beautifully Everytime

Civic HeadLamps Before Renewal Process

[FONT="Arial...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience