Starting a Project:Mazda 323 Astina

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
Hi sifu's!
I was thinking of modding my grandma's Astina.
Since she pass it down to me.It means a lot to me..i won't change to another car till i'm done with my degree.
Therefore,instead of this car running on a 1.6 SOHC Carb engine,I would prefer it to run on a turbo engine. :driver:
Because i realise that yes,my car can tapau a Myvi and Vios easily...but in one condition,they are stock standard.I want to go to a different level.
My budget is around RM8000 for a start.
For a Turbo engine,i survey and i think there are few options.
A Mazda B6T,Mazda B8 180, and also the B8 210.
For the B6,i'. not sure about the price,but B8 is around 5000 and the 210 version is double the price.Rather than i buy the 210,i think i might as well use the B8 180 and the remaining cash to upgrade until it is more powerful than the B8 210.
Is/Are there any mod option like camshafts,pulleys,port and polish and maybe even something else that is within the remaining range of the budget.

I really appreciate any single suggestion or plans given by any member!!:heeeelllllooooo:

drill

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Damansara
Hi,

First of all, what is the condition of the car? any physical damage? wear and tear?

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
Wear and tear is all replaced with new parts..so far as I'm concern,there are no major accident.the only accident that I could remember was a myvi hitting from the back.that doesn't affect the chasis I guess.

drill

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Damansara
ok thats gud to hear. in that care, i think u can spend rm5000 for the hlafcut, rm2k for the installation and all those wear and tear for the engine such as belts, engine oil, ol seals, plugs etc. but cross ur finger those engine u said will still be available at that price. its hard to find nowadays. Get the car running with ur new engine than only think of upgrades.

Anyway, just to let u know... u might want to consider parts from miata 1.8. cams, flywheel to name a few. also Eagle Rods, Wiseco pistons, ballbearing turbo and some other stuff. but seriously, u need to set ur goal right first.

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
Oh ya...and the current condition is everything stock PLUS there's engine oil leak around the head.guess the gasket need to be change too!

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Take from a Miata 1.8? The NB? I did have an offer from a guy selling off the engine for 5100.worth it enough? Gearbox is a compulsory to change? Or it is just an additional bonus? Yes I did think of wiseco pistons,eagle con rods and also I did think of using walbro fuel pump just as an addition to it because I have one at home.I have a fuel pump and a Haltech Sprint 500 which I don't know if it'll help me much.I don't think I will have the time to tune it.its a spare unit that I kept for almost 2 years.ball bearing turbo? What are the advantages comparing to normal turbo?

drill

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Damansara
bro... that's a lot of question to answer. hehehe...

1. for the miata, only use certain parts. not all. and u cant use the gearbox too! since a rear wheel...
2. gearbox u can use back the current one. if im not mistaken, it fits with the b8 engine. but to get the best out of it... might as well get a b8 gbox instead regardless from b8 180 (provided its 2 wheel, as u cant lock the 4 wheel version like mitsu gbox), tx3 or lantis.
3. i assume u do not get the fuel tank from the b8 engine, yes its compulsary for u to put in the walbro pump. i think u will need to find astina injection fuel tank also and a return fuel line will need to be added.
4. haltech.... hmm for stock engine, will not do much until u change those internal stuff and boosting more.
5. ballbearing turbos theoretically spins faster so giving a faster response... anyhow it is also depends on ur turbo setup. i dont talk about all those turbo trims, size etc... (not technically inclined, hehehe)... big cold side, small hot side spins faster at lower rpm, but ur power also ends early and vice versa. so if u r using a normal turbo but with good setup it compromise using a ball bearing turbo but with wrong setup. ( this also depends on ur goal).

ps: bro, ur haltech sprint 500 is it complete? my car is dying now since the map sensor for my microtech not reading correctly. mind selling urs cheap cheap to me? hehehe....

btw, where do u stay?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
get the b6t...

enjoy lower roadtax rate yet with power above other usual normal road car.... :adore:

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
Yup i was thinking of selling the haltech off too...since its not a big deal.
Hrm..pricing...how much you wanna offer? PM me...:biggrin:
haha...
''3. i assume u do not get the fuel tank from the b8 engine, yes its compulsary for u to put in the walbro pump. i think u will need to find astina injection fuel tank also and a return fuel line will need to be added. .''
when you say this,i don't really get it.The current fuel system doesn't match? or the capacity that is injected wouldn't be enough?
I'm aiming for around 250-300 HP.Power Range must be around 2500 RPM and above.
I'm using this car for daily drive.I want it to be as nice as possible.Linear power thats for sure.
Btw,is there any digital meter that could be fitted in?

I'm staying in Subang Jaya! Hoho.

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:34 AM ----------

get the b6t...

enjoy lower roadtax rate yet with power above other usual normal road car.... :adore:
Hi Pomen!
Well getting a B6T is nice...but then i don't know why alot of my fellow friends says that the power is not nice...Do they mean by the power range? or is it just not enough 'stim'?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
yup...b6t sure less power than b8t/b8t210....

b6t only around 160hp if not mistaken....but u still enjoy lower roadtax compared to 1.8 engine....yet there;s still a lot of modding u can play to bump the power up... :adore:

drill

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Damansara
hi ... sorry for the late reply. was bz looking for a new car. hehehe

anyway... yup.. the current fuel system is not sufficient for turbo. also if im not mistaken, for walbro, has a return fuel line, which ur current system dont have(correct me if im wrong).

it seems for your target, u for a start u need to get the b8 180 into ur car done first. after that only u will consider some other mods.

for b6t, yes... u can upgrade certain parts only. and some of it are fragile.. ie the crankshaft cant stand such high boost for a long time, it will break. apart from that, it does not support for piggyback such as e manage as the voltage for the sensors are different (bear in mind that b6t comes from older generation).

unless........ if u want to go thru the hassle of getting a lantis b6NA complete engine and wiring and do a BOT to it.... hehehe

joshualee

Known Member
Sep 23, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
If im not mistaken, B6 SOHC gearbox couldn't be used at b8t.. If you're looking for halfcut, maybe i could help you find.

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

bro, you staying at subang jaya? let's hang out someday... im staying at puchong.. you could join us TT with mazda and ford group members..

drill

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Damansara
our brader here gone mia... hehehe... bro joshualee... may i know which group gath r u referring to? killerbees? or the 323 gangs?

drill

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Damansara
shy laa... my car not fast nor good looking....

joshualee

Known Member
Sep 23, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
dont be shy bro.. my car also not good looking.. they don't really judge through d car you driving.. as long its a mazda or ford.. =)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Proton Wira 1.8 SOHC turbo Automatic

Spec

1.4G93 SOHC Engine
2.OEM Pistons
3.Cleaning Head and Polish
4. 510cc injector
5.Walbro Fuel pump
6.Turbo TD05 Evo 2
7.GSR Turbo Manifold
8.Microtech LT4 Fuel controller
9.RED Line Racing Lubrican
10.RED Line ATF Racing
11.No Intercooler
12.Blizz Air Filter

Tuning done on the Dyno At Mellinium Motorsport Sunway,and make it the
164 whp 210ft torque at 0.9 bar boost.The oem auto trans still can support for 1bar boost.
The engine fully rebuild...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience