Sharing about my car purchase- Iriz 1.3 MT MC2, suggestion needed on mods :)

Ceejay3196

Sep 27, 2019
This is my humble beginning for car ownership life in my 24 years of life. A kinda rare- because nobody are buying them- MC2 manual Proton Iriz.

As what I mentioned in post before this, several options has been considered to purchase a daily car, and finally this is my choice because:
- I want a fun to drive yet no fuss daily driver
- speed isn't much of a concern, safety and price is
- need to take care of Fuel consumption and overall friendliness on overall running cost

After a huge debate internally with all the needs and wants, in consider of my thin wallet too, I finally made my decision on purchasing this brand new Proton. To summarize why I do not consider taking over my dad's Wira, repairing my old savvy, or buying a second hand Inspira/ Myvi 1.5 Mt, here are the reason why:

Wira- it is not the C99 platform, but a C97, and my dad still need a car. If I take his, meant I'll buy to buy a car for him... can't afford that. This car is kinda beat out, which means- cash and cash to get it back into shape.
Savvy- again, it is very cash demanding to repair this.
Inspira&Myvi- For both, they are actually quite similar in terms of second hand value, no mater Inspira 1.8mt or Myvi 1.5mt.

Logically speaking, Myvi should be the best option for daily driving as you guys know it is
a.) Darn easy to source for parts
b.) Huge performance part for support
c.) it is also damn fast for it's price

But, a decent 2015 (which is already 5 years old) 1.5 Myvi still cost around RM30K~35K!? what in the world...
and you all know, without much word needed, to make a Myvi really good to drive- a set of good suspension, wheels, and tyres is a must coupled with shortshifter kit.

Purchasing something that are much older will increase risk of major services or major component start degraded, which also means cash output. Coupled with higher interest rate for car loan and ease of getting car loan... It does not make much different on purchasing a new Iriz in terms of total spending.

For Inspira 1.8mt, we all know how good it is. Just that, again, it is a Japanese C segment car which runs on Mitsu parts, albeit it is not really that expensive, it still cost a lot if there's anything goes wrong. To make it simple, just talking about rims and tyres- for inspira, 16inch is just barely there.

So in the end, I choose a new car to opt out all those trouble and wish to make things simpler in my upcoming years. It might be lag of power, but when I made it in life I can always opt for a weekend car.

Mods that I planned for this car:
Advanti S850 rim+ Michelin PS3 tyres
Eibach lowered spring
Samco radiator hose
Bendix brakepad

Upon digging old tread, I noticed that there are some brother who installed stroking kit to their campro 1.3, effectively making it a 1.6 without need of endorse from JPJ. Can anyone generously advice me on possibility for stroking my iriz's 1.3 VVT to 1.6?

That will make my car even better to drive!

Attachments

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
This is my humble beginning for car ownership life in my 24 years of life. A kinda rare- because nobody are buying them- MC2 manual Proton Iriz.

As what I mentioned in post before this, several options has been considered to purchase a daily car, and finally this is my choice because:
- I want a fun to drive yet no fuss daily driver
- speed isn't much of a concern, safety and price is
- need to take care of Fuel consumption and overall friendliness on overall running cost

After a huge debate internally with all the needs and wants, in consider of my thin wallet too, I finally made my decision on purchasing this brand new Proton. To summarize why I do not consider taking over my dad's Wira, repairing my old savvy, or buying a second hand Inspira/ Myvi 1.5 Mt, here are the reason why:

Wira- it is not the C99 platform, but a C97, and my dad still need a car. If I take his, meant I'll buy to buy a car for him... can't afford that. This car is kinda beat out, which means- cash and cash to get it back into shape.
Savvy- again, it is very cash demanding to repair this.
Inspira&Myvi- For both, they are actually quite similar in terms of second hand value, no mater Inspira 1.8mt or Myvi 1.5mt.

Logically speaking, Myvi should be the best option for daily driving as you guys know it is
a.) Darn easy to source for parts
b.) Huge performance part for support
c.) it is also damn fast for it's price

But, a decent 2015 (which is already 5 years old) 1.5 Myvi still cost around RM30K~35K!? what in the world...
and you all know, without much word needed, to make a Myvi really good to drive- a set of good suspension, wheels, and tyres is a must coupled with shortshifter kit.

Purchasing something that are much older will increase risk of major services or major component start degraded, which also means cash output. Coupled with higher interest rate for car loan and ease of getting car loan... It does not make much different on purchasing a new Iriz in terms of total spending.

For Inspira 1.8mt, we all know how good it is. Just that, again, it is a Japanese C segment car which runs on Mitsu parts, albeit it is not really that expensive, it still cost a lot if there's anything goes wrong. To make it simple, just talking about rims and tyres- for inspira, 16inch is just barely there.

So in the end, I choose a new car to opt out all those trouble and wish to make things simpler in my upcoming years. It might be lag of power, but when I made it in life I can always opt for a weekend car.

Eibach lowered spring
Samco radiator hose
Bendix brakepad

Upon digging old tread, I noticed that there are some brother who installed stroking kit to their campro 1.3, effectively making it a 1.6 without need of endorse from JPJ. Can anyone generously advice me on possibility for stroking my iriz's 1.3 VVT to 1.6?

That will make my car even better to drive!
U got the manual....much2 nicer to drive than the CVT.

From your mod list, i will skip the samco radiator hose. For me, stock OE works fine on daily drive.

The suspension mod, i will move to lower priority. Iriz ride is great for its price bracket. Get used to it with your new set of tire and wheel. Then, worked from there. FYI, the stock ride is already firmer than usual.
Spring set is cheap but if u made a mistake then it becomes expensive waste of money.

PS3?... PS4 is already out for quite some time. Get the latest hardware whenever possible.

What i really suggest is to invest in premium tint...Malaysia is getting hotter by year and to compliment the Iriz great AC is by having a great tint.

Stroking?
Should be possible. Not just 1.6, there are also 1.8 stroker out there. For price i beleieve some otai here can give estimates.

Reactions: Ceejay3196

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
good read, interesting choice. At one point i've wondered if the new manual iriz would make for a nice sporty daily runabout
please continue to update us

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Eibach lowered spring
Samco radiator hose
Bendix brakepad
Rims and Tyres - great
Lowering springs - questionable
Samco - why bother? Your car is so new.
Brakepads - good but metal king has zero bite when cold so be careful about braking if you go for metal king.

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017

From your mod list, i will skip the samco radiator hose. For me, stock OE works fine on daily drive.

The suspension mod, i will move to lower priority. Iriz ride is great for its price bracket. Get used to it with your new set of tire and wheel. Then, worked from there. FYI, the stock ride is already firmer than usual.
Spring set is cheap but if u made a mistake then it becomes expensive waste of money.

PS3?... PS4 is already out for quite some time. Get the latest hardware whenever possible.

What i really suggest is to invest in premium tint...Malaysia is getting hotter by year and to compliment the Iriz great AC is by having a great tint.

Stroking?
Should be possible. Not just 1.6, there are also 1.8 stroker out there. For price i beleieve some otai here can give estimates.

Yes, change the tyres and learn the characteristics of the car first.
Agree to getting a better tint especially with better total solar heat rejection and not some other variables which the sellers market them to you. Apparently, the air cond robs the engine of its power quite a fair bit.
Also, if you want to remap your car, I can share the details with you.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
New car, why change all that la. Just use it first for a few years and warranty over then start thinking mods.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Rims and Tyres - great
Brakepads - good but metal king has zero bite when cold so be careful about braking if you go for metal king.
for Samco radiator hose or similar, get original !!! or stay stock.
I got lucky bad experienced...hahaha

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Rims and Tyres - great
Trestor Advantage......haha

Ceejay3196

Sep 27, 2019

Stroking?
Hello, thanks for your reply! :)
Yes, it is a manual. Very much insisted to get one, as I claim myself as manual lover. Not much people in my social circle understand this decision tho.

No regret on getting it as the shifting feel- after run in- is quite precise, and clutch- albeit it is on the light side, it has good feedback where can easily know where is the biting point with decent pedal travel, not too high nor too low.

Eibach spring set is not cheap tho, RM1000+/-.
Well, 15 inch daily tyre with sport performance the best is PS3 i guess, PS4 don't have my size.
Tinting already came with my car. :) When purchase already use their voucher for tinting. Not famous brand but came with 5 year warranty, oklah.

Ceejay3196

Sep 27, 2019
good read, interesting choice. At one point i've wondered if the new manual iriz would make for a nice sporty daily runabout
please continue to update us
Hi Goh! Are you Tom Goh!? hahahaa

Well if you don't mind I can let you have a drive, but you know lah this is a daily car- not your usual megane R or Type R. :)

Ceejay3196

Sep 27, 2019
Rims and Tyres - great
Rims and Tyres is to make the car look better, but lowered spring, in all honesty i can't find fault on my car suspension when it come to stability and corner support. But surely it will make the car look way better lah.

For samco and brake pads, those are only 'gatal' choice. please enlighten me more should you find my understanding wrong.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As stated.. how to take care of it?

meaning.. what stuff to use or applied... coz it is easily get light scratches and dull in time..

will AutoSol do the job? any other products?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience