seeking advise on adjustable absorbers

wildboar

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2004
Penang
Visit site
hi peeps...wow, its been 4yrs since i last logged into zth..was actually surprised my username was still valid...i couldnt find any section in this forum directly related to absorbers, so i figured i post my question in the most visited section...

first of all, my ride is a wira gsr...i've been using HRC (not Honda related, think its a local brand) for quite a few yrs now...its served me well, but the ride has always been really hard...corners like a dream but i basically feel every nook & cranny on the road...now im looking to make my ride more comfy..my ride is a daily driven car, in other words, i just drive it like any stock car...hardly even go full throttle nowadays...

i've asked around some shops and friends, and i understand turbos should use stiffer abs...after gathering all my info, i basically was presented wif a few choices:

1) change my current front springs from 8kg to 6kg rating - was told this will make my ride more comfy, but some also said it will still be harsh as my absorbers are probably dead (havent serviced before)...this will cost just a fraction compared to changing a whole new set of adjustables..

2) change to a new set hi-lo adjustables with body shift...now this body shift is new to me, didnt exist when i was playing wif my car...but from what i read and heard, body shift will provide a much more comfy ride...i know there are many other benefits but i wont go into that as my main objective is comfort...

3) change to a new set hi-lo soft-hard with body shift...now why im even considering going for hlsh when i no longer require the performance aspect, is bcos im worried if the body shift (without s/h) coilovers may still be a hard ride and i end up wasting that 1k++...so i was thinking maybe the softest setting would be softer than the default of the non s/h ones...

would much appreciate if you sifus could give me your 20cents worth of opinion on the 3 options above, especially for the option 1...

hwl and gab automatically comes to mind when i think of entry level adjustables...i think each brand will have their own dream and nightmare stories..but like i said, i havent been active in the aftermarket scene for a long time, so just wondering if there is anything i should be aware of for these 2 brands? and what other brands would be recommended? im in pg btw...

sorry for the long-winded post, and thanks in advance for your advise...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
use 6k front and 4k rear spring rate...and service your adjustable including re-valve it/change thicker oil for better damping... (if u dont want spend a fortune on new HLSH absorber)

with spare money, upgrade your front and rear ANTI-ROLL BAR with the thickest bar available (Ultra Racing)

that should compensate the handling loss when using softer spring...in fact...your car handling might be even better than current setup

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
wildboar : I just sold my HLSH with bodyshift kinda cheap. It was comfortable with 12 clicks front 11 clicks rear. Then when I felt like it (or went Sepang) I jacked it up to max 30 front 28 rear. Worked great for me. Brand new is in the 2.6k region. Improve Hyperflex II

The alternative would be to use stock springs with Monroe Reflex, front 23mm ARB and rear 19mm ARB. Comfort with the performance. But you'll have bodyroll compared to HLSH.

My car was/is my daily drive btw. So comfort was important to some extent as well.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

edit - Springs was 6k front and 4k rear. 4G15 engine with some mods only. If you're using GSR or Mivec, suggest you up the front spring rate since you have a heavier engine.

Aug 28, 2014
Kuala Terenggan
Hi,i would like to ask questions bout gab ss series.i bought this adjustble suspension recently for my corolla altis 2002. Since im using it for my family of four,what is the best setup for my car? I want to make it looks sporty a little bit lowed.im using 17 inch rim 205 45 hankook ventus 2.i need advice from you guys.thanks.
?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear sifu,

After I install the central locking, my door lamp function when door open. Door lamp cannot function when i switch on... central lock is ok... Do my wiring got problem? because 4 wire i only use and 1 white wire no use...

please help me.. dear sifu...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience