Save Team Lotus: A must read!

keshy

500 RPM
Dec 12, 2007

All arguments big and petty always have two sides to the story. One might say one thing and the other another, it's a tough call for the on-looker to judge which party is actually right. In the corporate world, media statements and creative PR spins replace the name calling and denying that we as individuals so often partake in. Most corporations are, after all, headed by some of the most egoistic, empty headed individuals that want nothing more than a fat raise and a good name when the times come for their job review, and that means putting their company ahead in whatever situation, doing whatever it takes to get the job done.

The Lotus Group vs Team Lotus is one of those situations, each party claiming to own the legal rights to the name, it's heritage and the right to use it at its own discretion. Legally, and that involved a transfer of a huge chunk of cash, Tony Fernandes and his group own the name, but we all know that Group Lotus and Proton have denied this, in Malaysia there's a saying that goes like "die-die also deny". That pretty much speaks for itself.

The issue is now in the British courts, but I can't help but notice that Tony Fernandes has lost some of the fire and passion he had when he first bought the rights to the brand. Could this be due to some very powerful figure in Malaysia throwing his weight around and telling Tony to STFU and use some other name for his team? Malaysia is quite well known for this, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were the case.

The emergence of a report suggesting that Lotus Racing may be known as 'Proton 1Malaysia' next year is something that is sad considering that Lotus Racing finished in the Top 10 this season, and that means valuable sponsorship money from the Formula 1 pot of gold. Giving up the name would mean giving up a huge chunk of cash that the entire team has worked so hard for and totally deserve.

Well there are always two sides to this Group Lotus vs Team Lotus drama, and a website dedicated to this nonsense has been set up explaining the entire thing in depth from both angles, or so it may seem because I'm pretty sure Group Lotus and Proton will have something to say about this and that may go to the extent of trying to shut down the website. But that's not for me to say, but what I do recommend is that you read the website as it makes for a pretty interesting, informative read.

Just to get you started here's a little clip from the site, " The purpose of this site? Team Lotus's future, perhaps its very survival, is under serious threat. Not due to financial woes or lack of public support or any 'legitimate' reason. No, it's apparently down to the jealousy, greed and egos of certain individuals, no better reason than that."

"In 1996 after the Malaysian government-owned car maker, Proton, purchased Group Lotus it was apparently shocked and devastated to learn that its acquisition did not include Team Lotus, the iconic Formula 1 outfit. Rather than accepting gracefully that it had made a mistake, Proton (with Group Lotus, which it now controlled) set about attempting to damage or destroy Team Lotus whilst simultaneously presenting Team Lotus's glorious F1 history as its own in an effort to convince the public that it was true."

Personally I think that both parties should STFU and since Tony is always up for a good bet, let the racing do the talking and whoever does the best in the season, owns the right to the Team Lotus brand. This will definately bring an end to this saga in a very dramatic, very Lotus, very race fans sort of way. I'm sure Ayrton Senna and Colin Chapman would be proud, they both are after all an imporant part of the Lotus history, a very marketable prospect to whoever it is that ultimately owns the brand.

Click here to read the Group Lotus vs Team Lotus story and be enlightened

Attachments

har1th7

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
die laa all capitalist... no passion in them....

Evolution_tme

Known Member
Sep 29, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
better put more support on Mercedes Petronas, No issues whatsoever and the made us more proud. Luckily they never sponsor Lotus in the first place when lotus wanted them to because of Patriotism thinggy! if not they will be in the same mess from a typical businessman from Proton and Tune Group.

Just my 2cents! :)

p/s: Im saying this becoz im a schumi and vettel fan! heheheh

Last edited:

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Wind it up & reduce the Proton/Lotus local car price instead

hoongss

Known Member
Dec 13, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
So.. can anyone clarify this to me? Team Lotus or Group Lotus is providing engine to Indycar? I read some news , Group Lotus claim that they have long history in IndyCar. Isn't it Team Lotus have that long history but not Group Lotus? So my question is who is actually providing engine and aero to IndyCar? Group or Team? If Group, then isn't the Team can sue them for misusing information clamming they have long history or whatsoever?

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
damn good read. never knew that the racing arm n the road car arms were on totally different bodies.

malu ler another scandal exposed for the whole world to see...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello guys...

ok i have searched this forum for BOV topic but sadly no return.so thats y i start this topic

i am using HKS trumpet... but the BOV died on few weeks ago... boost leak make my car damn no power... ok now i want to replace my BOV... the option that i have is greddy type rs, blitz dd, hks ssqz, sard r2d2....

my question to all tailo and sifoo here is... wats the difference between immitation ssqv, greddy rs and so on with their original counter part?? if i use the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience