Reset ECU by disconnecting the battery

evoace

Known Member
Jul 21, 2006
Hi bros,

Izzit ok to reset ECU by disconnecting the battery terminal often?... I found my car fuel comsumption is better by do it.

Pls advise.

Tks

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
Yup.. but not all cars..hehe...

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
generally newer "intelligent" ones. most "variable" types adjusts to driving styles.

however i cannot confirm about the pre-1997/98 cars.

evoace

Known Member
Jul 21, 2006
wat car?........
Camry 2003. Someone told me to do that bcos if disconnect the battery and reconnect after a certain time period the ECU will reset in default mode.

So izzit advisable.

nonameNo

Mar 23, 2006
just need to disconnect the -ve point of battery and leave it for around 15 to 20 mins. then the ECU will be reset to factory setting. so it will record and recognise your new driving pattern style.

evoace

Known Member
Jul 21, 2006
just need to disconnect the -ve point of battery and leave it for around 15 to 20 mins. then the ECU will be reset to factory setting. so it will record and recognise your new driving pattern style.
izzit advisable to do it often?

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
there's really no harm doing so.....
it's same as electronic device.....
but why do u need to do that often?!...

like what koolspyda commented; newer ECUs usually are inteligent whereby it would adjust to the drivers pattern and "learn". Unless of course you change your driving pattern every now and than; if not, why do u need to reset?

Usually ppl would only reset their ECU if they've done some mod to their engine; like changed throttle body, install new camshaft, injectors etc.......
Why?....because they wants the ECU to get used to the new "settings".

evoace

Known Member
Jul 21, 2006
there's really no harm doing so.....
it's same as electronic device.....
but why do u need to do that often?!...

like what koolspyda commented; newer ECUs usually are inteligent whereby it would adjust to the drivers pattern and "learn". Unless of course you change your driving pattern every now and than; if not, why do u need to reset?

Usually ppl would only reset their ECU if they've done some mod to their engine; like changed throttle body, install new camshaft, injectors etc.......
Why?....because they wants the ECU to get used to the new "settings".
each time I reset, I get better fuel consumption.

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
each time you reset??...
meaning how long the interim between each reset?
Than I think u better get a full diagnostic on your ECU. Very unlikely ppl need to reset their ECU so often. Logic as I've explained earlier.

Could also be your throttle body or injectors got problem. Thus once reset, your ECU reads back factory settings for everything. Than slowly it "learns" about your fuel setting to suit your throttle. That said, if your throttle body or injectors are faulty, sooner or later the ECU is going to map back to suit these parts thus causing your fuel consumption to raise again.

So I suggest you get a full diagnostic to find out which sensor is giving you problems.

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
No dfference to disconnect ECU.

Wat the ECU do is just getting new data from engine sensors like TPS, water temp, air pres., 02, lambda, etc.

The maps in the ECU are fixed, they dont "learn" or "re-set".

When reconnect power to ECU, the sensors in the engine gives the new feedback for the ECU to look up on which point in the MAP to use.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello there,

I need the advice of the sifus out there. I recently did my balance, alignment and chamber. I left my car at the shop because i was busy but it told the worker to set a chamber of -1degree for all 4 tyres. So i did not see the readings of the machine. My problem now is my car is tracking badly to the left even at low speeds of 50kmh. I went back to the shop only for the worker to say that the reason the left straying because malaysian roads a slunted to the left and thus a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience