reccomendation oil for old saga engine

pathfinder

Known Member
Mar 6, 2005
hi.

just refurbished my megavalve saga.top overhaul,new piston rings,new plugs,auto box servis,flush radiator,new shock absorbers.....

what the best oil for old engine? any reccomendation?

thank u

escaflowne

1,000 RPM
May 4, 2004
Visit site
I'm constantly using shell engine oil. Previouslly using semi sync..now try out the fully sync.Didn't makan engine oil though.Havent try out other engine oil..but shell seems ok for me....
how much your refurbish your megavalve?

pathfinder

Known Member
Mar 6, 2005
all is rm900 including labour. small time kampung mechanic.

next stage bodywork...repair dent & new paintjob.

before this use BP 20/50 purposely made for old engine that consume extra engine oil.
now have yet to decide which brand of oil. maybe shell also. better semi sync or mineral based?

any additive that could help prolong /enhance /protect the engine?

FocalPoint

500 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
You can try semi-syn with Tufoil Engine Treatment for your car, Pathfinder.Good results can be expected.

escaflowne

1,000 RPM
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Yup,second focal point.For shell you can try the semi sync around 70+...last 2 month i gatal coz used to have the semi sync(blue tong).So go for the black one fully sync.Some said old engine use fully sync will consume engine oil but it seems like..even after hard revving.it doesn't consume. Well,there is diff when i use the mineral and semi sync..Very significant is morning start car.
900 arr....hmmhmm....

AccordRacing

2,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2005
kepong
www.zhapalang.com.my
after overhauled already consider as new engine,unless ur engine is count by year not condition

FocalPoint

500 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
Great to hear of your sucessful combination of Tufoil with semi-syn. escaflowne.

There is no need to use a sloppy oil like a 20W50 once your engine compression is restored. Oil has to flow fast to be good. It cannot be allowed to flow like glue. Camshafts need to dance!

pathfinder

Known Member
Mar 6, 2005
correction...my saga megavalve went through major overhaul.new pistons,rings etc. and the cost not rm900....it's rm1200. silap tengok bill.

i collect the car just now. question.....do i have to run in/break in the engine? some say need to, some say no need.

what dissapointing me,i already told the mechanic to use establish brand of ATF oil...but the mechanic put in strange brand of autobox oil. ARGENT ATF...dexron III/mecron. texas ,usa made. anyone ever heard this brand?

another thing let me down...i thought want to start with semi sync, but he pour shell helix super 20/50.

AccordRacing

2,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2005
kepong
www.zhapalang.com.my
yep,after overhauled need run in,coz already reborn to be new engine,after certain mileage to run in well,then change to fully sync or semi sync

pathfinder

Known Member
Mar 6, 2005
accordracing

u are right. it feels like new engine.engine& gear change smooth.

i will change the oil to semi syn oil after 1000km run in. since yesterday covered 200km already.

also want to change the ATF oil.....have doubt about the quality of the current oil.ARGENT.new brand ...never heard.

love my megavalve eventho it's old & outdated. all in factory spec. next stage should be new 1 layer original paint.will keep the car forever....future classic.haha

thank u for advise

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
haha... dun worry argent is not a bad quality but just poorer specification only .... you can get better one with that same money ...

after you break in say 1000km ... you can always try CEPSA 10W40 for it ... its one of the best fully imported engine you can get in the market ... check out their website at www.cepsa.com ...

you will see how great this brand name is .

pathfinder

Known Member
Mar 6, 2005
what if use 10w/40 viscosity semi syn oil....

ok or not for the newly overhauled megavalve engine...?

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
pathfinder said:
correction...my saga megavalve went through major overhaul.new pistons,rings etc. and the cost not rm900....it's rm1200. silap tengok bill.

i collect the car just now. question.....do i have to run in/break in the engine? some say need to, some say no need.

what dissapointing me,i already told the mechanic to use establish brand of ATF oil...but the mechanic put in strange brand of autobox oil. ARGENT ATF...dexron III/mecron. texas ,usa made. anyone ever heard this brand?

another thing let me down...i thought want to start with semi sync, but he pour shell helix super 20/50.
I tot dexron III ATF is meant for new version auto boxes?
Our older version auto boxes should use bak dexron II ATF.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

This, ladies and gentlemen is the MCE MC1. It caused quite a stir in the UK last year while testing because no one knew what it was so just imagine the lengths people were going to just to find out what it was. Ultimately, CAR magazine figured out what it was but not before people threw ideas around. Some of them even thought it was a replacement to the aged Lotus Esprit or maybe even a new Lotus but obviously, they...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience