Re: Radiator

leros

Known Member
Jun 7, 2005
Penang
Hi guys,
I have a friend who have a satria. He needs some help, his radiator always dispence water with yellowish/rust color. His mech asked him to weekly start his car and put a hose of running water to replace the dirty one. He have serviced his radiator around 6 months ago. Is there any solution for this. Solutions like radiator shampoo if it exist. Help will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
First off using tap water causes oxidation. Tap water contains minerals ie. calcium etc that acts as a catalyst for rust. Ask him to stop using tap water but instead use distilled water/drinking water. Do not mistake drinking water with mineral water. I would suggest to drain the radiator first then use tap water at high blast (tap water to blast is ok coz distilled water is not cheap) once the water comin out of the radiator is clear close drain plug. Add distilled water with Prestone Radiator Flush. Run engine for bout 10-20 minutes (keep an eye on the temp gauge). Turn off engine and let it cool for about 1 hour then remove drain plug and remove all water (the water will be soapy and you will see a lot of rust and sludge). Add more distilled water to completely fush (make sure you get as much of the prestone radiator flush out. Once its clean close drain plug and add your favourite coolant and only use distilled water.

You will see a much cleaner radiator and a happy cooling system. Good luck and do this over the weekend with a jack/stands. Have a couple of beers coz its hot down there. Besides with some alcohol any hotwater hitting your hands wont be so plainful. ;)

leros

Known Member
Jun 7, 2005
Penang
Thanx man,
I will get my friend to try this. So there is a radiator flush in the market. Thanx for the info.

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
a pleasure leros.i picked up prestone coz i've used their coolant for some time with good results and if i remember correctly its also not corrosive to your paint. I'm more of a better safe than sorry fella. Let us know how it goes.

leros

Known Member
Jun 7, 2005
Penang
thx phat7, will let u know once i have got ma friend to do it, btw, where do i buy the Prestone Radiator Flush. Can i get it in car spare part shop and how much is it roughly. Thanks again, i really appreciate it.

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
got mine at ace in Damansara. I reckon you'd be able to find it around. Approximately RM20. :)

leros

Known Member
Jun 7, 2005
Penang
Ok phat7, will try to get the flush liquid. Once done, will post the results of the radiator flushing. Thanks again. Hope this benefits other forumers as well. Cheers and regards.

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
flush ur radiator first..can get at kedai abang......then dun use air paip...use RO water......n add up one radiator coolant.......oso can get anyway.....

make sure ur radiator cap is in good condition to prevent overheat n leaking...spare tank clean it n add water as well.......DONE

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi. I'm posting on behalf of my friend. His car mentioned above has been stolen at Simpang Ampat, Penang. His car is White in colour and has a black spoiler with White rims. Please call 0164235381 if you spotted his car. Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience