Raikkonen hold up the field in pit lane

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
In the recent Belgium Spa GP 2005. We saw Juan Pablo Montoya and Raikkonen come in to pit lane during the safety car period.

Juan Pablo Montoya is ahead of Kimi, so Raikkonen use race tactic to hold the field up in pitlane so he didn't have to queue behind teammate Juan Pablo Montoya for pit service.

I really salute him to have such a fast response under such situation. But the other way round, the move is not very "gentlemen" in sport. just my 2 cents.

PS: If Schumi were to do the same move under same situation, i'm sure there will be a lot of condemn and criticised

Using Schumacher as an example isn't what I would recommend. He has a rich and illustrious history of dubious acts that are better than that, put it that way.

Anyway, back to the point about Kimi, it isn't that different from braking hard and slowing down everyone behind you, when you are in P1, behind the safety car, as it is about to pit. Using your position to gain an advantage, which is perfectly allowed. And I haven't seen any complaints from Renault or Ferrari or anybody for that matter, which there would be if it was such a questionable thing to do. BTW, Schumi would have been proud of that move.

I agree with you that kimi is allowed to do such a move, no doubt.

but i dun quite agree with you that why can't i make Schumacher as an example? schumi get what ever punishement for those wrong moves he did in the past. People always having perception that Schumi have "special" rating from race steward. Actually i believe you know that race steward is formed by different people for each and every race. The problem of this system is that the punishment or judgement from race steward is not consistance for each and every incident at different circuit, different year.

I believe Kimi and the entire McLaren team are proud of kimi's move.

Frankly, I think that move is dangerous, the entry to the pit lane is usually tide, twisted and full of blind spot at high speed. It may create massive accident in pit lane entry. No one may expect the driver at the front brake that early.

but what i'm trying to discuss here is the "sportmanship".

BlackSamurai said:
but i dun quite agree with you that why can't i make Schumacher as an example? schumi get what ever punishement for those wrong moves he did in the past. People always having perception that Schumi have "special" rating from race steward.
I don't know which incidents and what punishments you are reffering to, mate. What I meant earlier is that Schumacher has committed more "unsportsman-like" behaviour than quite a lot of people and off the top of my head, I seem to remember a certain incident involving a Mr Hill in Australia.

Regarding Kimi and that maneouver and your questions on sportsmanship, like I said earlier, it is as good (or bad) as what they do when they are following a safety car. Here
it isn't that different from braking hard and slowing down everyone behind you, when you are in P1, behind the safety car, as it is about to pit.

If you think, the latter is unsportsman-like, then so is the former.

One thing to remember, the whole pack of cars were behind the safety cars and obviously you cannot overtake. What Raikkonen did was to slow down the whole field for about 10 secs for Montoya to clear the pits before he enters. It wasn't that dangerous simply because when you're behind the safety car or yellow flags you have to be extra cautious so there should be no question about what Raikkonen did. Its not like Raikkonen jam his brakes to slow down the field.

Also, what Mclaren did was perfectly legitimate, in the sense nobody got any advantage or lost out and at the end of the day, they still had to queue behind Montoya. The biggest winner probably was Ralf. He pitted before the crash and looked to have fucked up his entire race when he pitted so early. Who knows Raikkonen slowed the pace down and Ralf was able to catch up behind Montoya.

FIA stop safety car trick

The FIA has put a stop to 'Kimi-go-slow' tactics under safety car conditions in the pit lane. At Spa Francorchamps, McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen crept at a snail's pace towards his 'box, holding up those behind him, so that he did not have to queue for service behind teammate Juan Pablo Montoya.

But the governing body now says any car driven at an 'unnecessarily slow' pace will be reported to the stewards. "This will apply to cars being driven on the track, the pit entry and the pit lane," an FIA communiqué read.

Raikkonen, the 25-year-old Finn, ultimately won the Belgian race.

=========================================
It's a creative move, but FIA will not allow that to happen again in the future.

Just for you Blacksamurai, since you love these so much:

...As Alonso was first in line behind the the safety car, it is the leader who dictates pace especially for the last half lap before the safety car pulls in and the race restarts.

Alonso slowed to such a pace on the back straight that it caught out the following Juan Pablo Montoya who could not help running alongside Alonso's Renault and it is strictly no overtaking behind the safety car.

At the last corner Juncao, up the hill leading to the pit straight Alonso slowed dramatically again, this time sawing at the wheel of his car attempting to put the last bit of heat into the tyres.

From Montoya's on board camera it showed how the Colombian very nearly hit the Spaniard for the second time, an unnecessary move by Alonso who should have been penalised.

Michael Schumacher pulled two moves like this.

One was at Monte Carlo last year behind the safety car in the tunnel when he decided to slow and weave only to be collected by Montoya.

Schumacher was hit so hard that he had to retire.

He had made it plain dangerous.

Michael did the same to the field with such force in San Marino in 2000 that the field was concertinered and as a result young Jenson Button crashed out.

Not only did Alonso escape punishment but his team-mate Fisichella was released from jail 15 seconds later.

Cars are not allowed to attempt to overtake until after the start finish line has been crossed when the safety car has pulled into the pit lane and the green light has gone on.

Fisichella was already alongside Michael Schumacher as they crossed the line, clearly angry after Michael had shaved past him three corners after the start.

From here: http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/050928/40/dxlr.html

So, what do you think about that then?

silverfish, I didn't says that I like it very much.
Just wanna post the update about the incident. :D

For Alonso's case.
IMHO, FIA shall release clearer guideline, including the dash-and-brake action for leader to heat up their brake behind the Safety car period. Things like you shall only do it max twice, or you can only do it 2 corners before the start-up line and etc.

For Schumi's case.
For 2004 Monaca GP, it's clearly stupid Schumi's fault for doing that at the exits of the Monaco tunnel. I watched the Williams' BMW video that explain why driving at Monaco tunnel is such a challenging job, because it involves changes of the iris, lense and cornea in your eye ball (just like cat) after you enter and came out in/out from the tunnel. Driver will tends to have the glare that you lost most of the vision at the exits of the tunnel, not to mention that there is a big bang curve in the tunnel that driver will floor the pedal to get max speed.

I can't recall 2000 incident that involves Schumi and Button. :D

BlackSamurai said:

The FIA has put a stop to 'Kimi-go-slow' tactics under safety car conditions in the pit lane. At Spa Francorchamps, McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen crept at a snail's pace towards his 'box, holding up those behind him, so that he did not have to queue for service behind teammate Juan Pablo Montoya.

But the governing body now says any car driven at an 'unnecessarily slow' pace will be reported to the stewards. "This will apply to cars being driven on the track, the pit entry and the pit lane," an FIA communiqué read.

Raikkonen, the 25-year-old Finn, ultimately won the Belgian race.

=========================================
It's a creative move, but FIA will not allow that to happen again in the future.
this is odd la.. seriously itz kinda frust if u're behind him, but u're infront .. .u'll say.. "nothing wrong wot"... coz there isn't any minimum speed limit... as long as u dont go beyond the limit.. any speed also can wot. Think bout..

unless of course FIA impose a minimum limit speed lor.

just my opinion, if kimi's move is allowed, then i guess there is one interesting thing where every team can use.

Say for some reasons both the Ferraris (where this season they are slower) are running 1st and 2nd, and they know that their car is much slower than the Mclarens and Renaults, and to ensure that either of them gets 1st place, what they can do is like, on the lap where the safty car comes in, the one in second place, say MS, slow everybody at the back, and let barrichello to go all the way to the back of the last car. And in the end, its almost certain that one ferrari will be taking the chequered flag!

* i know some might say that MS wont do that for Barrichello but im just giving an example.

Wah..FIA should come to malaysia highways and promote such a ban.
Then we can have all the slow drivers off the freaking overtaking lane.