Radiator water

-lanz-

Known Member
Jul 9, 2009
Perak/Kedah
Want to ask you guys what water is the best for the radiator?
Some says tap water,some says mineral water and some says battery water.
Which is the best?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Last time, ppl use rain water. Free and environment friendly.

Tap water oso can, provided the radiator water is mixed with coolant (with rust inhibitors, and other chemical cocktail that would treat whatever is in the tap water). So, no worries....

if wanna be super-duper safe, use filter water, then subject to R.O, then distill the water......then put into radiator, mix with coolant....:biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
With the tap water we get nowadays better have it filtered first before pouring into the radiator...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
its distilled water which is commonly available as battery topup water...

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Battery water today cost about rm2.50/bottle edi....

If can, take distilled water from lab. FOC

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
For me, if for battery then distilled water, but for radiator no need. Clean filtered water good enough....

-lanz-

Known Member
Jul 9, 2009
Perak/Kedah
Thanks for the infos guys.
Actually i hit a dog the previous night.I was cruising at 100kmh.And this dog made a suicide when my car came.
It was a country road that has no light and this dog came out of nowhere.
The hit looks like not serious.By the time,i know my bumper would have some crack.
But what i didnt thought is,this dog hit the bumper till protruding in because there was a small grill at the bumper for waja.
Till the AC condenser bend and made the radiator to leak.
I didnt aware of this and continue to drive as my home is just 15min to reach.
Just before reach home,there was a traffic light,the engine stopped when i free the gear.
I saw the temperature reading was so high.I start the engine and pull over the car to the side of the road.
I open the bonet and saw radiator leaking.Then i wait for the temperature to become low.I start back the car and drive back to home.
Today went to the radiator shop and changed a new one.I thought the problem solved but the temperature rise up again as soon i reach home.I saw some boiling inside the reservoir tank.The radiator shop boss said,if happened like this means head gasket probably burnt.
Some more,before this i only need to turn my key to start the engine.Now i need to press the accelerator too.
I take care of my car very well.Now it became a headache just because of a dog.You guys had similar experience on this radiator issue?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Actually i hit a dog the previous night.I was cruising at 100kmh.And this dog made a suicide when my car came.
The hit looks like not serious.By the time,i know my bumper would have some crack.
But what i didnt thought is,this dog hit the bumper till protruding in because there was a small grill at the bumper for waja.
Just before reach home,there was a traffic light,the engine stopped when i free the gear.
I saw the temperature reading was so high.I start the engine and pull over the car to the side of the road.
I open the bonet and saw radiator leaking.Then i wait for the temperature to become low.I start back the car and drive back to home.
Today went to the radiator shop and changed a new one.I thought the problem solved but the temperature rise up again as soon i reach home.I saw some boiling inside the reservoir tank.The radiator shop boss said,if happened like this means head gasket probably burnt.
Some more,before this i only need to turn my key to start the engine.Now i need to press the accelerator too.
I take care of my car very well.Now it became a headache just because of a dog.You guys had similar experience on this radiator issue?
You said temperature was very high and the engine died, therefore probably overheated and gasket burnt. Also Check whether your header got warp or not?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
common problem is head bent,head gasket kong...and probably piston is scuffed too......so safe bet is to tow the car and sent to workshop for top overhaul....change psiton if the piston condition too bad...

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Battery water today cost about rm2.50/bottle edi....

If can, take distilled water from lab. FOC
RM1.50 still got. Buy from sparepart shop or Ace hardware.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
haha~ok.. with 0.5 micron filtering :biggrin:
Even with the large rocket filter also good enough as long as comes out clear.....:biggrin:

Maybe your area the tap water is okay, but I have seen from many areas, most at least have the small filter at the incoming source.
This is what sometimes I get direct from the tap without filtering....

Last edited: