PlastiDip your wheels

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Hello, newbie here.
Anyone tried plastdip their wheels? I tried searching the forums but didn't manage to find any post. I saw DipYourCar videos and it look so easy to do. Any advice and photos? Thanks!

[youtube]OlyB3FbYRRs[/youtube]

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Not hard to do. Easier to do with the wheels off the car though. And unfortunately for you plastidip is now more expensive thanks to our rubbish currency exchange.

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Ori plastidip IS very costly but d newbie can try settling plastidip MR DIY brand...it's cheaper n u can peel it off if u find it x to ur satisfaction without really feeling d pinch...:)

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Not hard to do. Easier to do with the wheels off the car though. And unfortunately for you plastidip is now more expensive thanks to our rubbish currency exchange.
Do i need to sand it first before applying? Or just clean it and spray?

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
I x think it's required...to sand it down I mean...just clean it proper n start spraying..1 thin coat at a time wiz a break between each coat...5mins maybe..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Do i need to sand it first before applying? Or just clean it and spray?
It depends on how you wanna do it.

The Extreme Way
- Clean the rims with wax free cleaning liquid and dry
- Clay the rims to remove tar and hard to remove dirt particles
- Wipe down the rims with alcohol to remove oils/wax
- Spray Plastidip Primer x 2 layers, then dry in ventilated room with normal humidity
- Spray Plastidip colour x 6 layers, then dry in ventilated room with normal humidity

Any-how-also-can way
- Clean the rims with soap and clay it down
- Spray multiple thin layers of Plastidip colour leaving each layer to dry (do not dry in the sun!)

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
It depends on how you wanna do it.

The Extreme Way
- Clean the rims with wax free cleaning liquid and dry
- Clay the rims to remove tar and hard to remove dirt particles
- Wipe down the rims with alcohol to remove oils/wax
- Spray Plastidip Primer x 2 layers, then dry in ventilated room with normal humidity
- Spray Plastidip colour x 6 layers, then dry in ventilated room with normal humidity

Any-how-also-can way
- Clean the rims with soap and clay it down
- Spray multiple thin layers of Plastidip colour leaving each layer to dry (do not dry in the sun!)
How also, once damage still have to peel out.....lol:rofl:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Awesome tips! Will share some updates when I start the project. Thanks! :biggrin:
I didn't know you'd take me seriously. Btw, let the dip dry between each layer, don't literally spray 6 layers immediately. Meaning spray lightly then wait 15 minutes for it to dry. Then spray lightly again + dry. Keep repeating until the whole thing is nice and even.

Also, find a sheet or metal or something to test first. Find the optimum distance to hold the spray can. Too near and the texture will be lumpy. The moderator PocketRocket has found the optimum distance for his projects and his sprays are super smooth. Mine still has the rubbery rough texture. I don't know how the hell he got his super smooth.

Later tonight if I'm semangat enough I'll share pictures.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
I didn't know you'd take me seriously. Btw, let the dip dry between each layer, don't literally spray 6 layers immediately. Meaning spray lightly then wait 15 minutes for it to dry. Then spray lightly again + dry. Keep repeating until the whole thing is nice and even.

Also, find a sheet or metal or something to test first. Find the optimum distance to hold the spray can. Too near and the texture will be lumpy. The moderator PocketRocket has found the optimum distance for his projects and his sprays are super smooth. Mine still has the rubbery rough texture. I don't know how the hell he got his super smooth.

Later tonight if I'm semangat enough I'll share pictures.
Haha! Yeah I do. The plastidip is easy to peel off right? If the wheels hit some gravel or something, will it tear the plastidip?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
if using plastidip, it would be short term usage (but not like a few weeks). Maybe to have a bit fun, changing look of the wheels, etc. Nothing serious.
If you wish to have more permanent effect, long lasting, durable, heat resistance, go for powder coating.
You get what you pay for.

All the best plastidpping your wheels..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Haha! Yeah I do. The plastidip is easy to peel off right? If the wheels hit some gravel or something, will it tear the plastidip?
Watch how you spray. If you spray a thick enough layer it's easy to remove. If it's like mine, it's a major !@)_#(!@%&!@)#(@& to remove. Too thin.

And you don't have to worry about stone chips, plastidip isn't that soft or easy to chip off.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Watch how you spray. If you spray a thick enough layer it's easy to remove. If it's like mine, it's a major !@)_#(!@%&!@)#(@& to remove. Too thin.

And you don't have to worry about stone chips, plastidip isn't that soft or easy to chip off.
Awesome! Can't wait to start soon. Thanks again for the tips!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

to all sifu,my car is a kelisa running on bot,few week ago i went to skimmed my piston 1 mm to lower down the compression,then after tat my rpm get as low as 800 and my car jerk,some people say after lower the compression is like tat and the timing lari already,now i have to adjust the throttle for highyer rpm during idling,can any sifu tell me why will this happen???
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience